Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2007, 15:04   #31
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Firstly, i am concerned about the above specifications mentioned. Correct me if im wrong here, but i believe the Swift comes with stock rims having offset 42. I myself have upgraded my rims to OZ Racing 6.5 X 15", PCD 100 & Offset 43 and 195/60/R15 Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres. These specifications were given by the OZ Racing experts in Italy. I knew the PCD but never knew the Offset. They specifically mentioned that the Offset for the Swift should preferably be greater than 42.

Now your specification says 38 offset. Could this be the problem after all???
You have gone for wider rims (6.5J, against the stock figure of presumably 5J) and on top of that *increased* offset from 42 to 43 mm. Plus your tyres are also wider as compared to stock. What this means is that the wheel/tyre has gone inwards substantially (i.e., towards the suspension components, as opposed to protruding out from the wheel well). I am amazed that your wheels/tyres do not foul with the suspension components or the brake callipers. Do you find that your turning radius has increased? If so that could be due to fouling with the suspension components, preventing your wheel from turning fully. Do you hear any fouling sounds, especially while turning?

Normally when you widen your wheels/tyres, a small reduction in the offset is inevitable to prevent the above fouling on the inner side. Too much reduction in the offset is also not desirable, since that would cause the wheel to protrude out from the wheel well and possibly cause fouling with the wheel arch/mud flaps while turning. Plus too low an offset could affect the handling and produce adverse effects on the steering/suspension/wheel bearings. A reduction in offset of about 5-10 mm is acceptable, so differential's figure of 38 mm should be fine from the point of view of handling.

I suspect, though, that differential's problem is fouling, with either the brake callipers/suspension components on the inner side or possibly mud flaps/wheel arch on the outer side as has been pointed out. The reduction in offset of 4 mm may still not be enough to prevent fouling of the 205 mm wide tyres and probably wider rims (presumably 6J or 6.5J ?) on the inner side.

I suggest that differential take his car to the garage/tyre shop and personally examine the various clearances from the under side of the car, including while turning. I have read on the internet forums that the clearance from the suspension components/brake callipers should be at least 4 mm to prevent fouling.

Last edited by rks : 21st April 2007 at 15:10.
Old 21st April 2007, 19:26   #32
rks
BANNED

@Epic, I see from another thread that your stock tyre size was 5.5J rather than the 5J that I had in mind. If offset is the same as stock, the wheel centerline remains at the same location as before, so a wider wheel will spread out in both directions by equal amounts. In your case offset has increased by 1mm, so your 6.5" wheel's clearance from the suspension components/brake callipers has decreased by 1/2" plus 1mm, i.e., by about 14 mm, as compared to stock. Plus if you put in the wider (195 mm) tyres you should be close to the acceptable limits.

For Differential the matter may be more critical, since he has gone in for 205 mm tyres. I wonder what his stock wheel specs are (5J or 5.5J?) versus his present wheel specs (6J or 6.5J?). His offset is lower than yours by 5 mm, but that may not be enough to compensate for his tyres/wheels, as far as inner clearance is concerned -- note that the tyre sidewall will flex when going over bumps/potholes or if air pressure is low, so a minimum clearance will be required to prevent fouling.
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
You have gone for wider rims (6.5J, against the stock figure of presumably 5J) and on top of that *increased* offset from 42 to 43 mm. Plus your tyres are also wider as compared to stock. What this means is that the wheel/tyre has gone inwards substantially (i.e., towards the suspension components, as opposed to protruding out from the wheel well). I am amazed that your wheels/tyres do not foul with the suspension components or the brake callipers. Do you find that your turning radius has increased? If so that could be due to fouling with the suspension components, preventing your wheel from turning fully. Do you hear any fouling sounds, especially while turning?

Normally when you widen your wheels/tyres, a small reduction in the offset is inevitable to prevent the above fouling on the inner side. Too much reduction in the offset is also not desirable, since that would cause the wheel to protrude out from the wheel well and possibly cause fouling with the wheel arch/mud flaps while turning. Plus too low an offset could affect the handling and produce adverse effects on the steering/suspension/wheel bearings. A reduction in offset of about 5-10 mm is acceptable, so differential's figure of 38 mm should be fine from the point of view of handling.

I suspect, though, that differential's problem is fouling, with either the brake callipers/suspension components on the inner side or possibly mud flaps/wheel arch on the outer side as has been pointed out. The reduction in offset of 4 mm may still not be enough to prevent fouling of the 205 mm wide tyres and probably wider rims (presumably 6J or 6.5J ?) on the inner side.

I suggest that differential take his car to the garage/tyre shop and personally examine the various clearances from the under side of the car, including while turning. I have read on the internet forums that the clearance from the suspension components/brake callipers should be at least 4 mm to prevent fouling.

Hi rsk,

I have no problems what so ever with the car. It actually feels much better than before. There is no difference in the turning radius and do not experience any fouling sounds while turning and neither are there any sounds while turning.

Besides, as mentioned before i have been given these specificaions by the experts from OZ Racing themselves and that too, after giving them the stock specificaions of the car. The wheels also come with a manual and an applications list which mentions that these wheels can be fitted on the Swift without any modifications required.

Epic
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Epic, I see from another thread that your stock tyre size was 5.5J rather than the 5J that I had in mind. If offset is the same as stock, the wheel centerline remains at the same location as before, so a wider wheel will spread out in both directions by equal amounts. In your case offset has increased by 1mm, so your 6.5" wheel's clearance from the suspension components/brake callipers has decreased by 1/2" plus 1mm, i.e., by about 14 mm, as compared to stock. Plus if you put in the wider (195 mm) tyres you should be close to the acceptable limits.

For Differential the matter may be more critical, since he has gone in for 205 mm tyres. I wonder what his stock wheel specs are (5J or 5.5J?) versus his present wheel specs (6J or 6.5J?). His offset is lower than yours by 5 mm, but that may not be enough to compensate for his tyres/wheels, as far as inner clearance is concerned -- note that the tyre sidewall will flex when going over bumps/potholes or if air pressure is low, so a minimum clearance will be required to prevent fouling.

Hi tsk,

The stock wheel on the Swift Vxi is 14" X 5.5 JJ shod with 165/80/R14 tyres. As per the tyre calculator, my new set of wheels of size 15" X 6.5 J shod with 195/60/R15 tyres as almost the same as the OD specifications. There is a difference just -0.74% which is definitely within the acceptable limits. I also had a choice of going in for 205/60/R15 OR 215/55/R15 tyres which are again within the acceptable limits but the guys from OZ Racing advised against it and stressed on the point that 195/60/R15 are the best & safest upgrade.

Epic
Old 22nd April 2007, 14:53   #35
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The stock wheel on the Swift Vxi is 14" X 5.5 JJ shod with 165/80/R14 tyres. As per the tyre calculator, my new set of wheels of size 15" X 6.5 J shod with 195/60/R15 tyres as almost the same as the OD specifications. There is a difference just -0.74% which is definitely within the acceptable limits. I also had a choice of going in for 205/60/R15 OR 215/55/R15 tyres which are again within the acceptable limits but the guys from OZ Racing advised against it and stressed on the point that 195/60/R15 are the best & safest upgrade.
I don't think you understood the issue that I was trying to address. The OD may be fine, so you probably will not have the issue of the tyre touching the wheel arch from above. Here I was talking about the *width* of the wheel. When you go from 5.5" width to 6.5" and, say, maintain the same offset as stock, the extra width of the wheel will reduce clearance on the inside (from brake callipers, suspension components) by 1/2" -- note that this is the sideways clearance, not from top (call this the inner clearance). If your rim offset is *higher* than that of stock wheels by x mm, your inner clearance will *reduce* still further by x mm, over and above the 1/2". Plus the wider tyres (as compared to stock) will reduce the inner clearance still further -- in your case there is a substantial 30 mm increase in width. Apparently Swift had enough inner clearance initially to allow for your upgrade.

But in Differential's case, assuming his stock/upgraded wheels are of the same size as yours, the upgraded tyres are 205 mm width, but his offset is 5 mm lower -- so effectively, as compared to your case, his inner clearance is actually (almost) the same as yours; possibly there are minor differences due to different construction of the wheel or tyre sidewall bulge. You wanted him to *increase* his offset by 4 mm -- which means you are asking for his inner clearance to *reduce* still further by another 4 mm. This is what I am questioning, as possibly not permissible. The best approach is for him to check the clearances from the under-side, as I pointed out. It may be that the Swift will tolerate his upgrade from the point of view of inner clearance, but then again, maybe not. If not, he needs to go for a wheel with still lower offset (say, 34 mm), not higher as you have been demanding. There will be a penalty in handling with the reduced offset, but there is no other way to avoid fouling, if present in his case.

Last edited by rks : 22nd April 2007 at 15:10.
Old 22nd April 2007, 18:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you understood the issue that I was trying to address. The OD may be fine, so you probably will not have the issue of the tyre touching the wheel arch from above. Here I was talking about the *width* of the wheel. When you go from 5.5" width to 6.5" and, say, maintain the same offset as stock, the extra width of the wheel will reduce clearance on the inside (from brake callipers, suspension components) by 1/2" -- note that this is the sideways clearance, not from top (call this the inner clearance). If your rim offset is *higher* than that of stock wheels by x mm, your inner clearance will *reduce* still further by x mm, over and above the 1/2". Plus the wider tyres (as compared to stock) will reduce the inner clearance still further -- in your case there is a substantial 30 mm increase in width. Apparently Swift had enough inner clearance initially to allow for your upgrade.

But in Differential's case, assuming his stock/upgraded wheels are of the same size as yours, the upgraded tyres are 205 mm width, but his offset is 5 mm lower -- so effectively, as compared to your case, his inner clearance is actually (almost) the same as yours; possibly there are minor differences due to different construction of the wheel or tyre sidewall bulge. You wanted him to *increase* his offset by 4 mm -- which means you are asking for his inner clearance to *reduce* still further by another 4 mm. This is what I am questioning, as possibly not permissible. The best approach is for him to check the clearances from the under-side, as I pointed out. It may be that the Swift will tolerate his upgrade from the point of view of inner clearance, but then again, maybe not. If not, he needs to go for a wheel with still lower offset (say, 34 mm), not higher as you have been demanding. There will be a penalty in handling with the reduced offset, but there is no other way to avoid fouling, if present in his case.

Oh sorry. Yes, point to be noted

Epic
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Tyre Suggestions for a Ford Ikon - Fed up with Tyre noise!!

Car: Ford Ikon 1.6 SXi (2003 - 38000kms)
Current Tyres: Bridgestone OEM 175/70 R13

I drive in Mumbai on the Eastern Express Highway which is a mix of concrete and tarmac. The tyre noise is unbearable at times. I did have noisy bearings and got them replaced last week. I have a feeling that despite the relatively low mileage, the rubber has hardened to the point where grip is adversely affected -AND- tyre noise is higher than usual.

I suspect it is time for a tyre change and I am looking to suggestions. My requirements are:
- Low tread noise
- Good grip in the wet and under braking
- Good grip over white lines
- Low tendency for tramlining

I don't want low-profile rubber because I greatly value the comfort and ride quality that a high profile tire can provide on our roads.

Your suggestions are welcome!
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:00   #38
Team-BHP Support

Try Michellins, Continental or Yoko's they have less noise. Also the age of the tire is a big factor, as you rightly mentioned hard rubber = more noise/less grip etc
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:14   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Michelin XM1+ in 175/70 R13 would be the best for low noise.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Michelin XM1+ in 175/70 R13 would be the best for low noise.
Thats the feedback I get from users too. I intend to go in for the same tyre with the above specs for my Esteem.

How is the tyre noise of Yokos when compared to that of Michelin ? Is there a vast difference?
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:34   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

No. Not a vast difference.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:15   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Thats the feedback I get from users too. I intend to go in for the same tyre with the above specs for my Esteem.

How is the tyre noise of Yokos when compared to that of Michelin ? Is there a vast difference?
I have recently changed the tyres on my esteem from Bridgestone S322 to Apollo Acelere (175/70 R13). There is a tremendous improvement in grip levels; and tyre noice is completely zero
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:31   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M R K View Post
I have recently changed the tyres on my esteem from Bridgestone S322 to Apollo Acelere (175/70 R13). There is a tremendous improvement in grip levels; and tyre noice is completely zero
The Michelin Energy XM1+ 175/70 R13 costs Rs 3200 (MRP from the website).

How much did the Apollo Acelere cost you?

Which one would be a better option for someone who drives the car without revving it up much higher? The grip levels in wet, braking and life are important factors.
Old 4th December 2009, 17:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKris View Post
The Michelin Energy XM1+ 175/70 R13 costs Rs 3200 (MRP from the website).

How much did the Apollo Acelere cost you?

Which one would be a better option for someone who drives the car without revving it up much higher? The grip levels in wet, braking and life are important factors.
2 Different Quote that i got from 2 dealers @ bangalore in this week for Apollo Acelere 175/70 R13 is Rs 2850 & Rs 2950 .
I feel this is on the higher side. The Quote for Michelin Energy XM1+ 175/70 R13 was Rs 3000 from the dealer who quoted Rs 2850 for Acelere
Old 4th December 2009, 18:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the offset of the stock rims on the Swift? Are they 38 OR 42?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks