Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2016, 14:19   #1
BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi guys!

I have booked the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and expect delivery next week. Its a bomb of a car with the 320 DDiS. However, the alloys made me go They are strictly OK but could be a better set will add to the appeal of the car in a big way I think. Was contemplating getting better looking aftermarket alloys and maybe a little wider tyres

First up, need advice on whether I should leave the stocks on or get them changed? Given that its the 320 DDiS, will be driving it the way one should...with enthusiasm!! Will there be any effect on performance and safety with aftermarket alloys?

Need suggestions on places in Gurgaon (if any) that I could go to for a new alloys+tyres set and also suggestions on brands of alloys and tyres themselves. Good grip and low noise is the requirement. How is Star Wheels in Gurgaon? Also is Sai Mag Wheels in Delhi as good as it seems?

Have booked the Granite Grey colour so looking at matt finish alloys (no chrome for me!). Also looking at slightly wider tyres, but not really wider so as to impact handling and performance. Is wider rubber advisable?

Thanks for all the help in advance!
SC
Old 21st January 2016, 19:25   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I drive a 1.6 Granite grey, for me stock alloys are Ok. However, the side wall height for tyres needs to be bit more. So you can opt for 215/60 R 16 though it would increase overall diameter & odometer error but high torque can take care of this!

Last edited by breezydrive : 21st January 2016 at 19:30.
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:50   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed crusader View Post
Was contemplating getting better looking aftermarket alloys and maybe a little wider tyres
The S-Cross is one of the few Marutis to be adequately tyred. 205 mm tyres are of a good size. What you can do is upgrade to a better make (in the same size).

If you still want to go wider, then refer to Mi10's excellent post at this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
So you can opt for 215/60 R 16 though it would increase overall diameter & odometer error but high torque can take care of this!
I wouldn't recommend this due to the chance of scraping under full-lock, and also the slightly taller gearing might make the turbo-lag more prominent.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 22:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The S-Cross is one of the few Marutis to be adequately tyred. 205 mm tyres are of a good size. What you can do is upgrade to a better make (in the same size).

If you still want to go wider, then refer to Mi10's excellent post at this link.

I wouldn't recommend this due to the chance of scraping under full-lock, and also the slightly taller gearing might make the turbo-lag more prominent.
folks I agree. I don't want to exceed the overall diameter. Pray tell me I really really liked 17" momo rims. What effect on ride quality would I experience on 17" shoes vs 16" stocks? Also I went to Star Wheels in Gurgaon and they have Pirelli and Yokos on offer. Are these good options? Too hard or soft? I like a spirited drive but overall comfort is more important in the long run. My daily run would be 30 km max For long vacations we use our Scorpio so Scross would be for office runs in the city plus long weekend runs. So given this are 17" rims a good option?

thanks!
SC

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Do not type only using lower case. Please go through forum rules.

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2016 at 17:30. Reason: Removing image from quoted post
Old 23rd January 2016, 22:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its a well known fact since the launch of S-Cross that its alloys are plain ugly and the first thing most of the owners will do and have done is to changed them.

We already have lots of posts by owners who have changed them, so kindly go through them for the first hand experience and take a final call.

If someone doesn't like chrome front grill, the car looks stunning with black grill too.
Old 23rd January 2016, 22:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Its a well known fact since the launch of S-Cross that its alloys are plain ugly and the first thing most of the owners will do and have done is to changed them.

We already have lots of posts by owners who have changed them, so kindly go through them for the first hand experience and take a final call.

If someone doesn't like chrome front grill, the car looks stunning with black grill too.
I think I saw some posts on the S-cross review thread which said that the original alloys were of very high quality as mentioned by some tyre dealers. If so, then wouldn't it be better to live with them? Not sure of the authenticity though
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 23:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes and they are manufactured by some reputed OEM supplier so quality is not really a concern.
At the same time if quality only is the criteria and not the aesthetics, we wouldn't be having this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I think I saw some posts on the S-cross review thread which said that the original alloys were of very high quality as mentioned by some tyre dealers. If so, then wouldn't it be better to live with them? Not sure of the authenticity though
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 04:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

GTO, what upgrade would you suggest in the same tyre size for a 1.6. Ride quality and noise are key criteria ( I am budget conscious too). And as much as I would want to, I am not a serious off-roader, though I do tend to use the road shoulders in any road condition.

I also loved the look on the image you posted. Am considering alloy upgrades too, only for the looks - but worried if it'll burn a hole too large in my pocket.

Please do suggest a tyre and alloy dealer in Mumbai West. Am getting my 1.6 alpha from Nexa Andheri West on Tuesday. Am appalled by their service till date, but more on that later.
Old 13th January 2017, 15:02   #9
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

This thread is idling for quite a long time. Any one had tyre upgrades on S-Cross recently?
Old 13th January 2017, 15:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
This thread is idling for quite a long time. Any one had tyre upgrades on S-Cross recently?
I got 225 55 r 16 pirelli cinturato in feb. Good rubber. Also changed to momo alloys
speed crusader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 15:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed crusader View Post
I got 225 55 r 16 pirelli cinturato in feb. Good rubber. Also changed to momo alloys
What is the momo wheel size you took? 6.5 x 16 or the same existing size 6 x 16?
Old 20th March 2017, 18:25   #12
BHPian

I checked with Tyre Empire in Bangalore today for a change of stock JK tyres in 205/60 R16 and was suggested Pirelli Cinturato (P4?) and then the Michelin P3ST.

As far as exchange of the new tyre, i was offered something like 2.5k for the JK which seemed a little on the lower side.

Also, apparently the prices of the Michelins have gone up since Feb 17 and are around 8.2k a tyre now?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this pricing and which would be a good one to go for here.
Old 17th February 2018, 17:42   #13
BHPian

Ive been using 225/50/17 yoko AdvanSports on mine. Any other tyre size recommendations in 17 guys?
Old 10th June 2018, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Next month I plan on upsizing to 17inch.
S cross for the international market brochure shows the zise as,205/50/17 and I plan to stick with this size.
Old 5th September 2018, 12:57   #15
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is buying an Scross Alpha in the coming week. He wants to change the OEM tyres to a better brand. Car will be used mainly in the city. Ride comfort and less road noise is the most important criteria.
Can the tyre gurus here suggest which brand to go for?
Regards,
SS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks