Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


View Poll Results: Preferred Tyre Size in my situation :
165/70 R14 4 80.00%
165/80 R14 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2016, 21:45   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,687
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

i10 Grand Petrol and Diesel comes with 165/65 R14 tyres as OE for all variants.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-68.html

Quote:
Thin 165/65 R14 rubber on dual-tone 8 spoke rims. Hyundai calls this finish the 'diamond cut'. If you frequently head out on the highway, I highly recommend an upgrade to tyres of a 175 / 185 patch:
Xcent comes with 165/65 R14 (Steel & Alloy), and 175/60 R 15 (Alloy).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-35.html

Quote:
The 175/60 R15 tyres to be just adequate, although the lower variant's 165/65 R14 rubber is too skinny, more so for intercity runs. An upgrade to 175 / 185 mm tyres is strongly recommended for the safety & enhanced grip levels.
Couldn't find a tyre thread for one of India' best selling cars!

The simplest question; can one swap the 165's in i10 Grand to 185's ? and if so which model for Era, Magna ,Sports and which one for Asta ( Asta gets alloys)?

Similarly, basic upgrade for Xcent?
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 00:01   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 69 Times
Default re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I've been driving the grand i10 magna with stock tyres for quite a while and never have I witnessed a moment where I felt the tyres were insufficient. I think under normal driving speeds the stock tyres are more than enough. However if you frequently hit the highway and do some serious speeds you may want to upgrade else an upgrade is really not necessary.

Last edited by noopster : 22nd May 2016 at 23:16. Reason: Typo corrected
just_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 00:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kovai / Madras
Posts: 2,545
Thanked: 5,878 Times
Default re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

165 to 185 section width shouldn't make any major issues unless the wheel rim is capable of handling the additional width. IMO a minimum of 5J width is safe for 185 section tires. Do check your stock rim size before upgrading.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:02   #4
BHPian
 
Car's Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Surat
Posts: 69
Thanked: 198 Times
Default re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

The simplest question; can one swap the 165's in i10 Grand to 185's ? and if so which model for Era, Magna ,Sports and which one for Asta ( Asta gets alloys)?
Dear Sir,
IMHO, It would be possible to upgrade to 185 sized tyre without any issues on stock rims.
IIRC, Grand i10 stock rim size for Era, Magna, Sports variants is 14"x5J(mentioned in my Grand i10's magna owner's manual). The alloy wheel rim diameter in Asta variant is 14", but I am not sure about the rim width.
Currently, my Grand i10 is equipped with 175/65 R14 Continental CC5 tyres on stock rims, and they are running absolutely fine.
Regards
Car's Paradise
Car's Paradise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:44   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 61,651
Thanked: 210,407 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_in View Post
I've been driving the grand i10 magna with stock tyres for quite a while and never have I witnessed a moment where I felt the tyres were insufficient. I think under normal driving speeds the stock tyres are more than enough.
For normal driving conditions, even a 155 mm tyre will be sufficient. However, if there is an emergency manouveur (even at a normal highway speed of 80 kph), the difference between a 165 & 185 patch tyre can decide whether you had a 'close shave' or an 'accident'.

It's ridiculous of Hyundai to equip these cars with skinny 165 mm tyres. All in the interest of cost & fuel efficiency ratings.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beans Town
Posts: 1,842
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For normal driving conditions, even a 155 mm tyre will be sufficient. However, if there is an emergency manouveur (even at a normal highway speed of 80 kph), the difference between a 165 & 185 patch tyre can decide whether you had a 'close shave' or an 'accident'.
True, I think the Grand i10 would look perfect with 175 as stock and the Xcent with 185. VW and Fiat in general give perfect tyre specs out of the factory with the 185's for the Polo and 195's for the Punto as an example. Hyundai got the i20 tyre size correct with the 195's.. and also with the Verna.

Honda City though takes the cake for the worst stock setup with 175/65 15 and for one of the longest cars in its class. In my experience minimum 175 should be just about good in terms of grip levels and quietness for a medium (Grand i10/Brio/Micra) hatchback, 185 for 4 metre long cars, and 195 for sedans
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 17:40   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

The simplest question; can one swap the 165's in i10 Grand to 185's ? and if so which model for Era, Magna ,Sports and which one for Asta ( Asta gets alloys)?

Similarly, basic upgrade for Xcent?
Hi, I have a Grand i10 Asta with Diamond cut Alloys. I swapped my stock tyre to 185 immediately after delivery and covered 32K Kms without any issues.
spiler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 18:05   #8
BHPian
 
Parth46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 368
Thanked: 511 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler View Post
Hi, I have a Grand i10 Asta with Diamond cut Alloys. I swapped my stock tyre to 185 immediately after delivery and covered 32K Kms without any issues.
Could you help with more details on the steering feel with the 185 section tyres, and which brand did you go for?

I had a brief test drive of a friend's Grand i10 with 185 section tyres and felt noticeable improvement in overall stability and braking, plus better steering feel.

Since you've munched more than 30K kms on these upsized tyres, would be great if you could share some more feedback as I'm looking to make a similar move on my own car.

Thanks,
Parth
Parth46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 18:42   #9
BHPian
 
Grand Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 673
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
if you could share some more feedback as I'm looking to make a similar move on my own car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler View Post
Hi, I have a Grand i10 Asta with Diamond cut Alloys. I swapped my stock tyre to 185 immediately after delivery and covered 32K Kms without any issues.
S2 upgraded the stock Apollo tyres to Yokohama (185/60 R14) and he recommends to go for the upgrade. I am quoting his feedback from the ownership review :

Quote:
Swapped the stock Apollo tyres for 185/60 R14 Yokohama Earth1s... The steering has gained some weight to it and although at dead centre position it is light, with speed/ turn angles it weighs up exceptionally well and the grip at corners feels quite confidence inspiring. A highly recommended upgrade!
Quote:
Yes, an upgrade is recommended especially if you plan on driving the car on highways more often. 185/60 R14 is the correct up-size which will give you a speedo error of 1.9% which is well within the safe zone.
Quote:
I must mention that Yokohama Earth1 are fantastic value for money and are very much similar to Michelin XM2+ in most aspects. However, they are not as silent as XM2+ and also tend to squeal on hard cornering which the XM2+s never did. Having said that, I would definitely recommend these for anyone who is looking for wider rubber at a bargain compared to Michelin XM2+.
Quote:
I have installed 185/60 R14 Yokohama Earth1 tyres. Have driven almost 5000 kms till date and have never faced any scraping or tyre rubbing issue whatsoever (even during full locks). The wider tyres improve braking as well as cornering grip; also the wider tyres give the car a sportier profile.
Quote:
The Yokohama Earth1s are a value for money buy but be warned, they are not as silent as Michelin XM2+ (both from personal experience).

Last edited by Grand Drive : 26th May 2016 at 18:55. Reason: Adding more feedback from S2's ownership review.
Grand Drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 09:29   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Could you help with more details on the steering feel with the 185 section tyres, and which brand did you go for?

I had a brief test drive of a friend's Grand i10 with 185 section tyres and felt noticeable improvement in overall stability and braking, plus better steering feel.

Since you've munched more than 30K kms on these upsized tyres, would be great if you could share some more feedback as I'm looking to make a similar move on my own car.

Thanks,
Parth
I went with Bridgestone MY02 since i got a better deal that time. One of the main improvements was Steering gained bit of weight and better road grip. Only 1 puncture till now. However roadnoise is an issue with MY02. I dont see much of an issue with mileage since i get 12~13 with AC in city which is similar to most of the members here.
spiler is offline  
Old 29th August 2016, 17:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manipal
Posts: 4,802
Thanked: 14,021 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I have bought a set of 4 Kenda 175/65 R14 tyres from Snapdeal. I got it for just 8.5K. Tyre looks like good quality and it is July manufactured too. I will install them soon. There would be speedo error by small margin and slightly more GC.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160823_115240.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 20:28   #12
BHPian
 
Tanveer02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Assam/AS-05
Posts: 107
Thanked: 522 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I am considering a tyre upsize for my Grand i10 (Asta 2017) once the stock 165/65 R14 tyres run their course. Going by the tyre upsize rules, 185/60R14 is the correct upsize. However, my confusion is regarding which brand of tyres should I go with, considering my running is mostly on the highways (1.5k per month). Also, if I am to go for larger size alloys, which will be purely for aesthetic reasons if I do so, what will be the correct alloy upsize keeping in mind the upsized tyres?

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 20th March 2018 at 20:32.
Tanveer02 is offline  
Old 20th March 2018, 21:25   #13
BHPian
 
chiranjitp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 485
Thanked: 3,213 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
I am considering a tyre upsize for my Grand i10 (Asta 2017) once the stock 165/65 R14 tyres run their course. Going by the tyre upsize rules, 185/60R14 is the correct upsize. However, my confusion is regarding which brand of tyres should I go with, considering my running is mostly on the highways (1.5k per month).
185/60 R14 is the correct upsize, though you can also consider the 175/65 R14 size. This size I believe is more easily available in the market & you would also gain a few mm of ground clearance. Considering your running is mostly on the highways, I would suggest you to go with tyres like the Michelin XM2 or Continental CC5. The Michelin XM2s (185/70 R14) on our erstwhile Punto lasted a cool 80k km.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 20th March 2018 at 21:29.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 15:48   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
185/60 R14 is the correct upsize, though you can also consider the 175/65 R14 size. This size I believe is more easily available in the market & you would also gain a few mm of ground clearance.
I replaced the front two tyres of my Grand i10 with 175/65 Apollo 4G Life. I will replace the rear tyres from the stock configuration to 175 patch this weekend. However, I'm seeing that 175/65 tyres have a difference in dimension of 2.3% over the stock 165/65 tyres. As I do a lot of highway runs, can I continue using 175 patch or should I replace all the tyres with 185/60s?
Serpentor11 is offline  
Old 14th June 2018, 19:10   #15
BHPian
 
chiranjitp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 485
Thanked: 3,213 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentor11 View Post
I replaced the front two tyres of my Grand i10 with 175/65 Apollo 4G Life. I will replace the rear tyres from the stock configuration to 175 patch this weekend. However, I'm seeing that 175/65 tyres have a difference in dimension of 2.3% over the stock 165/65 tyres. As I do a lot of highway runs, can I continue using 175 patch or should I replace all the tyres with 185/60s?
I am not really a tire expert, still let me give my opinion. As I said in my original post, 185/60 R14 is the more correct up-size while the 175/65 R14 size is more commonly available in the market. Having said that since you have already bought 175/65 R14 tires for the front, I would suggest fitting the same size in the rear. You should also change the rear tires ASAP, as having two different sizes of tires is not recommended.

Many Fiesta's are running on 185/65 R14 tires in place of the stock 175/65 R14 size, this upgrade also has a difference in diameter of greater than 2% over the stock setup. My cousin's fiesta also runs on this setup & I don't find any ill effect of this up-size while driving her. Recently we fitted 195/60 R15 (in place of 185/60 R15) tires in my uncle's VW Polo & even here the car behaves properly with the up-sized tires. Even our Moderator Gannu1 has 195/60 R15 tires in his Polo. In short what I am trying to say is that an increase in diameter of around 2-2.5% (from stock) doesn't seem to have any ill effect on the ride & handling, if anything the ride quality slightly improves (due to taller sidewalls).

Last edited by chiranjitp : 14th June 2018 at 19:22.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks