Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 18:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?

The moulding flaw would have existed from Day 1. It just did not come up. Bad roads leads to minor cracking and tread wearing, but zig zag sealant lines is a manufacturing defect. I would suggest haggle harder, and get them replaced. If they do not, for the sake of safety do it at your own cost before any cemented expressway trip, as at high temperatures it might cause trouble.

BTW, just out of curiosity, do we have a check for this on our PDI checklist ?
BB311 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 12:08   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Juts logged onto to TBHP and came upon Rehaan's PM.

I agree wholeheartedly with KPzen. It is a minor issue but not really a safety issue.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 17:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nikhil.

Nevertheless I had lodged a grievance regarding this on Apollo helpline last Thursday. They promised an engineer will contact in 48 hours, but no one has contacted us till date. The car was not in Mumbai for the last couple of days, hence I didn't take up this further. Will follow up on this now, since the car is back home.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 19:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Update:

An engineer from Apollo finally inspected the tyres this Saturday, at a Hyundai service centre, after lots of follow up. I had lodged a complaint on 23rd June, promised turn around time was 48 hours. A week later, there was no contact from Apollo. Hence I posted this on Twitter. They asked for contact details, which I promptly messaged them. One more week passed without any action from their end. That prompted a few more tweets. Finally the inspection was carried out by their engineer this saturday, more than 15 days after I lodged the complaint.

"Found small lines in the grooves and in sidewall which are not cracks as per my observation. These lines are due to environmental factors (weathering) which is not a manufacturing defect". Claim was rejected giving this reason. First of all, those are definitely not just lines. We showed him another car whose tyres didn't have these cracks (lines, as per engineer). He was unable to explain why. "These are environmental factors. We can't say why this car hasn't got the lines" was the only explanation he had. We did not accept the report, and asked him to escalate.

Independently, I checked Michelin XM1s on a Honda city & Bridgestones on a Hyundai Verna in our building, both approximately same age as our car. Their tyres were perfectly fine. Those 2 cars are used daily for office commutes.
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 22:17   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Reading your thread from the beginning just now, the first two photos did not worry, but the third worried me a lot. It looks as if the tread layer is coming off!

My worry may be exaggerated because one can't tell, from a photo, whether this is just a surface mark or whether it goes deeper. I wonder if the depth can be probed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
"Found small lines in the grooves and in sidewall which are not cracks as per my observation. These lines are due to environmental factors (weathering) which is not a manufacturing defect". Claim was rejected giving this reason. First of all, those are definitely not just lines. We showed him another car whose tyres didn't have these cracks (lines, as per engineer). He was unable to explain why. "These are environmental factors. We can't say why this car hasn't got the lines" was the only explanation he had. We did not accept the report, and asked him to escalate.
Sounds like a cop-out to me. Environmental factors. What? Like... driving on the things?

I would ask advice from one or two independent tyre dealers. They may well have more tyre experience than dealers. And, if the manufacturers are going to dump you, you just might be buying from them, too.
Old 12th July 2016, 02:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

"Found small lines in the grooves and in sidewall which are not cracks as per my observation. These lines are due to environmental factors (weathering) which is not a manufacturing defect".
First of all, at least they agreed at something being wrong. That's a good start. However, If tires are not supposed to face the environmental factor than what is ? Besides, you didn't drive your car over burning coal followed with a frozen lake. This tread separation lines show the lack of quality at their end. I would say, use social Media. Tag them and post on fb/twitter.
Old 12th July 2016, 11:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Reading your thread from the beginning just now, the first two photos did not worry, but the third worried me a lot. It looks as if the tread layer is coming off!
My worry may be exaggerated because one can't tell, from a photo, whether this is just a surface mark or whether it goes deeper. I wonder if the depth can be probed?
Yes, after explanations by Rehaan & others, I am not worried about the first two photos. However the third one still worries me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sounds like a cop-out to me. Environmental factors. What? Like... driving on the things?

I would ask advice from one or two independent tyre dealers. They may well have more tyre experience than dealers. And, if the manufacturers are going to dump you, you just might be buying from them, too.
True. I am also not convinced with the environmental factors thingy. When asked why other cars do not show this environmental damage, he was clueless. Vague replies like "Ye hum bol nahi sakte" (We cannot say for sure) was all he could say. I am also thinking of showing the tyres to a tyre shop. However, regarding the statement "They may well have more tyre experience than dealers", I would like to clarify that we were interacting directly with an engineer from Apollo Tyres, not Hyundai. As tyre manufacturers, they should be having adequate tyre knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
First of all, at least they agreed at something being wrong. That's a good start. However, If tires are not supposed to face the environmental factor than what is ? Besides, you didn't drive your car over burning coal followed with a frozen lake. This tread separation lines show the lack of quality at their end.
Exactly my point. We asked him whether Apollo's tyres aren't designed to bear the environment for even 1 year? We also told him that we haven't driven the car in freezing Himalayas or Sahara desert. Its driven in normal "environment" of Mumbai - Pune & surrounding areas. Again no definitive answer.

First he was trying to tell us that we must have driven over a stone. We countered him saying if we drive over a stone, how come all tyres have these cracks/lines on the entire circumference? Then he came up with another explanation - The rubber had reacted with oxygen in air, leading to oxidation and causing these lines. he also tried to peddle a story that this has happened due to driving in rain water. We had only one question - other cars also drive through rain water. Other cars are in the same atmosphere having oxygen. Then why does our car see these marks on tyres? He had no answer.

Had this been on a 3-4 year old tyre, I wouldn't have said anything. But I firmly believe there is no reason why 1 year old tyres should have these lines/cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I would say, use social Media. Tag them and post on fb/twitter.
We have asked for an escalation. I would like to give them some time before using social media. I will wait for a response till today end of day. If tehre is none, then I will start using social media to highlight this. 2 days should be more than enough time to analyse the photos which I have sent to them.

Also, the leaflet on which the engineer gave his report has terms & conditions of warranty on backside. The terms do not say that environmental damage is not covered. It only lists things like over/under inflation, improper mounting, unauthorised alterations like retread etc.

I will keep the thread updated as and when there is something to update.

Last edited by AkMar : 12th July 2016 at 11:58. Reason: Fixed Quote tags
Old 12th July 2016, 15:15   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to clarify that we were interacting directly with an engineer from Apollo Tyres, not Hyundai. As tyre manufacturers, they should be having adequate tyre knowledge.
Oh yes, sorry... of course I knew that but the knowledge got sidestepped at that point in my post <Blush>

The guy you met, however, seems to have been briefed to simply deny liability. It is a shame that he could not tell you anything useful at all.

Still... a dealer may be able to tell along lines of "never seen before." or "common with this tyre." His reaction may be coloured by the chance of selling you a new set, which is why it would be interesting to know if several such dealers gave similar reasoning.
Old 12th September 2016, 12:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

An update on the issue - I showed the tyres to 2 tyre dealers at different locations. Both of them were of the opinion that the tyres are safe to use. Hence I have decided to continue with these tyres for the time being. I will monitor their condition periodically to check for any anomalies.

Sincere thanks to everyone for the help on this
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 07:21   #55
Senior - BHPian

Yokohama Geolander have done closer to 30,000 kms & these cracks were found by the service advisor at workshop during routine service. Such cracks were found in two of the tyres. The crack seems to be much deeper in images whereas I struggled to pick this up at first shot in spite of yellow markings.

I was advised not to take this for any long/highway trip esp at this peak summer and end up with a tyre blast. Yokohama rep will visit in a day or two to inspect the same.

Is this a manufacturing defect? Usually how long such defects will be covered in terms of yrs & kms?

Quote:
An update on the issue - I showed the tyres to 2 tyre dealers at different locations. Both of them were of the opinion that the tyres are safe to use. Hence I have decided to continue with these tyres for the time being. I will monitor their condition periodically to check for any anomalies.

Sincere thanks to everyone for the help on this
How much kms you have completed now
Attached Thumbnails
Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?-whatsapp-image-20170424-13.02.42.jpeg  

Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?-whatsapp-image-20170424-13.02.44.jpeg  

Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?-whatsapp-image-20170424-13.02.47.jpeg  

Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?-whatsapp-image-20170424-13.02.55.jpeg  

Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 11:31   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Is this a manufacturing defect? Usually how long such defects will be covered in terms of yrs & kms?
I don't think this would be considered a manufacturing defect. Looks more like some damage especially after 30k kms.

Considering these cracks are deep and on the sidewall, I would change them immediately.
Old 25th April 2017, 13:50   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yokohama Geolander have done closer to 30,000 kms & these cracks were found by the service advisor at workshop during routine service. Such cracks were found in two of the tyres.
Those (longer) cracks certainly don't look normal to me.

Not saying this from experience, but there's a good chance these could be a manufacturing defect (perhaps from the vulcanization of the tread onto the tyre).
Old 25th April 2017, 20:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Considering these cracks are deep and on the sidewall, I would change them immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Those (longer) cracks certainly don't look normal to me.

Not saying this from experience, but there's a good chance these could be a manufacturing defect (perhaps from the vulcanization of the tread onto the tyre).
Dealer with whom I bought these tyres has raised a complaint with Yokohama. Today evening one of their representative pinged me from a tyre shop closer to my location.... Inspects the tyres & concludes that i had hit some sharp object on the road. Asks for my opinion on his statement

These cuts/cracks are at 2-3 different locations at very minimum gap.. Cited this & mentioned, at speeds the probability is minimum.

Then he states it could be an intentional cut by someone while the vehicle was parked. I made it clear that I don't want any replacement unless its a manufacturing defect...but would like to get an email from them stating it's not.

Asks for his opinion on safety aspects driving this car on highways. Was told the long cut was not on sidewall softer compound ( assuming its the closer strips) Plus the one on side walls was not deep....so it should not be any issue.

One advantage with XUV is TPMS is present and any leakage can be detected immediately. Plus I do continuous non-stop highway drives often (say 500-600 kms), so still thinking if its worth keeping this tyre or replace it for safety
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 21:35   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Asks for his opinion on safety aspects driving this car on highways. Was told the long cut was not on sidewall softer compound ( assuming its the closer strips) Plus the one on side walls was not deep....so it should not be any issue.

One advantage with XUV is TPMS is present and any leakage can be detected immediately. Plus I do continuous non-stop highway drives often (say 500-600 kms), so still thinking if its worth keeping this tyre or replace it for safety
Personally, I would not take the risk of using tires like these on the highway. That is where a sidewall failure could prove to be most dangerous especially on an SUV.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 23:03   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder if any one on the forum has got their tires replaced by a manufacturer accepting a 'manufacturing defect'? And what are the exact parameters that define a manufacturing defect? Or these reports are just fancy templates used for all cases?

However, Apollo at least contacted you; though late. I had a similar experience with Michelin tires (initial Indian imports made in Thailand). I have a strong belief that those initial lots had some quality issues. First I thought that my low running might be a reason for such cracks. But later I found same vintage Michelin XM 1+ on another car in my apartment with identical cracks along the circumference of the tires.
Michelin guys took my contact but I never heard back from them after that.
I vowed never to buy a Michelin again. There are other competitive and premium brands out there if I need one.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 25th April 2017 at 23:11.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks