Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2017, 09:42   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I vowed never to buy a Michelin again. There are other competitive and premium brands out there if I need one.
Initially, Michelin tires (XM1 & PLC) were very vulnerable to Indian conditions. Sidewall cuts & bulging were just too common.

They have learnt it the hard way and now their tires are made for Indian conditions : RUGGED along with its trademark comfort levels.

Try the XM2 and P3ST tires once and your opinion might change forever.
Old 16th May 2017, 10:47   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Yokohama Geolander have done closer to 30,000 kms & these cracks were found by the service advisor at workshop during routine service. Such cracks were found in two of the tyres. The crack seems to be much deeper in images whereas I struggled to pick this up at first shot in spite of yellow markings.

I was advised not to take this for any long/highway trip esp at this peak summer and end up with a tyre blast. Yokohama rep will visit in a day or two to inspect the same.

Is this a manufacturing defect? Usually how long such defects will be covered in terms of yrs & kms?

How much kms you have completed now
Hi Sorry for the late reply... This doesnt look like a manufacturing defect. Some sort of external impact for sure in my opinion. Of course, actually seeing the tyres in real life and running my fingers over it would help me make a better judgement.

To be honest, while it is better to be safe, these cuts do not seem to have impacted the structural integrity of the tyre.

If you want peace of mind, change the tyre.... Otherwise, it should be fine to continue to use them as it is.

Ideally, try selling them to a friend who drives mostly in the city and at slower speeds so even he has peace of mind.
Old 16th May 2017, 14:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Hi Sorry for the late reply... This doesnt look like a manufacturing defect. Some sort of external impact for sure in my opinion. Of course, actually seeing the tyres in real life and running my fingers over it would help me make a better judgement.

To be honest, while it is better to be safe, these cuts do not seem to have impacted the structural integrity of the tyre.

If you want peace of mind, change the tyre.... Otherwise, it should be fine to continue to use them as it is.

Ideally, try selling them to a friend who drives mostly in the city and at slower speeds so even he has peace of mind.
Thanks Nikhil for the reply. I did raised an incident with Yokohama & their reply is also exactly on the same lines

Quote:
External damage.... Though looks like no structural impact, but recommends for a change as its not worth the risk taking these into highways.
Planning to get these replaced before my highway trip next week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks