Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2016, 23:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?

Hello,

Our car has now crossed 6.3K km. I had planned on updating this thread after completing 1 year of ownership (which is in less than a month). However what I saw today has compelled me to post it. I casually went and checked the tyres. What I saw was shocking, to say the least.

Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?-img_24641.jpg
Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?-img_24681.jpg
Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?-img_24701.jpg

I found small cracks on the tyres. However what I am more concerned about is the last image. There seems to be cracking in the tread pattern itself. I was not at all expecting to see something like this. How safe are these tyres? Is it ok to continue using them? Experts, your opinion I am really on seeing this in a 6000 km car less than a year old.
AkMar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 09:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent S(O) Petrol - Initial Ownership Report

Today morning inspected all tyres once again. I found cracks like the last photo in previous post on at least 3 of 4 tyres. Additionally I found this on one of the tyres (click on image for a closer look):
Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?-image.jpeg

I definitely think this is not normal for tyres just a year old and running of 6300 km. This has got me concerned. In a way it is good that I found this before scheduled 1 year service so that if needed, we can take this up with A.S.S. during the service. Should we raise this concern with Hyundai? I think they may try to dismiss the claim as wear and tear item or some such excuse. None of the tyres have faced abuse like hitting potholes at high speed.

Tyres are factory fitted Apollo Amazer 3Gmax.

EDIT: The cracks somewhat resemble those on 5years/30000 km JKs on our Swift when they were replaced.

Last edited by AkMar : 13th June 2016 at 09:54.
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 12:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Hello,

Our car has now crossed 6.3K km.
======
I am really on seeing this in a 6000 km car less than a year old.
Quote:
Today morning inspected all tyres once again.
====
EDIT: The cracks somewhat resemble those on 5years/30000 km JKs on our Swift when they were replaced.
How are the road conditions, are they very bad? If not this seems to be little abnormal to have so many cracks and chipping. Did you check the manufacturing date marked on the tyres? How old are they?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 13:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How are the road conditions, are they very bad? If not this seems to be little abnormal to have so many cracks and chipping. Did you check the manufacturing date marked on the tyres? How old are they?
Road conditions are majorly within Mumbai city or on highways around Mumbai. These are roads in decent condition, if not the best. The car is driven around 15-20 km on broken rural roads every month. However both me & dad are very careful while going over the bad patches. The tyres are manufactured sometime in April 2015.

PS: This thread is more appropriate for the discussion, not the Swift tyre thread! Request you to move the posts there.
Old 14th June 2016, 13:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

AkMar; don't think it should crack at this low odo.
What psi do you maintain?
Old 14th June 2016, 14:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

re: Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?

I'm not sure. It doesn't look like something I'd be worried about in the 1st set of pics (as long as the cracks are on the raised tread). It might just look like a bad thing because you're examining it so closely.

For the picture in the 2nd post - I'm not sure what you're looking at?

What i suggest is:

1) Check the manufacturing date of your tyres.

2) Go look at some other cars and see if they have a similar thing happening. I'm guessing they will.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th June 2016 at 14:22.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

If you are driving in normal roads this looks very abnormal, have you taken this up with the tyre manufacturer or hyundai? 1 year old and under 7000 kms is way too early for such cracks.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Our car has now crossed 6.3K km.

I found small cracks on the tyres. However what I am more concerned about is the last image. There seems to be cracking in the tread pattern itself. I was not at all expecting to see something like this. How safe are these tyres? Is it ok to continue using them? Experts, your opinion I am really on seeing this in a 6000 km car less than a year old.
I think it is not normal. I replaced all 4 tyres of my corolla last September and have done 10.5k KM till now mainly within Bangalore and occasional outstation trips and I don't see any crack on my tyres. You can check with the dealer you bought and see if it can be replaced under warranty.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

This kind of chipping and cracks are not normal.
You should take up the matter with Apollo directly. That is what Hyundai will tell you anyways.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Rehaan.

The cuts you highlighted are normal on a tyre. Tires don't just wear out, they take the brunt of sharp stones and other objects on the road as well which leads to minor cuts like you highlighted.
I feel pebble's stuck in the thread can cause cuts as well if not dislodged for a period of time.

The last picture, I can see a curvy line along the side of one of the grooves which I think part of moulding during the manufacturing process.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:54   #11
BANNED

This is a manufacturing defect. Take it up with the tyre manufacturer - it will be replaced.

Not advisable to drive long distances or at fast speeds till they are replaced.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Cuts on tyre tread just show encountering sharp objects during travel. Does your rural travel involve passing over small stones having sharp edges?

Don't see any cracks on tyre tread, are there any cracks on sidewall?
Area highlighted in orange rectangles in 3rd photo of 1st post isn't showing cracks, it's more of molding pattern during manufacturing.

Check photos in these 2 posts, these kind of cracks you should be worried about.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/96943-when-right-time-change-tyres-6.html#post3975821

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3983442

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The cuts you highlighted are normal on a tyre.

The last picture, I can see a curvy line along the side of one of the grooves which I think part of moulding during the manufacturing process.
Agree with this opinion.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
For the picture in the 2nd post - I'm not sure what you're looking at?
I have marked a few spots of concern with an arrow (please see the image at full resolution):
Small cracks on my ~1 year old tyres. Is this normal?-image.jpeg

Quote:
What i suggest is:

1) Check the manufacturing date of your tyres.

2) Go look at some other cars and see if they have a similar thing happening. I'm guessing they will.
1. Already done that. Refer to post #4 where I have posted manufacturing month - April 2015. You can see "1715" on the tyre in this image.

2. Will try that & let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
AkMar; don't think it should crack at this low odo.
What psi do you maintain?
We maintain 33 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you are driving in normal roads this looks very abnormal, have you taken this up with the tyre manufacturer or hyundai? 1 year old and under 7000 kms is way too early for such cracks.
No. We haven't taken this up with either. I noticed this just a couple of days ago. Planning to do the same in 2nd free service due this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Cuts on tyre tread just show encountering sharp objects during travel. Does your rural travel involve passing over small stones having sharp edges?

Don't see any cracks on tyre tread, are there any cracks on sidewall?
Area highlighted in orange rectangles in 3rd photo of 1st post isn't showing cracks, it's more of molding pattern during manufacturing.
There are no visible cracks on sidewall. I agree there can be minor cuts on tyres due to sharp stones. That is acceptable.

I don't agree with the view that the last pic in first post shows moulding lines. I do not remember seeing such lines before, and I have seen the tyres closely many a times. However this is not a verifiable claim, so I will not get deeper into it. More importantly, by the looks of that crack, I am not at all convinced it is a mould line. There are few mould lines visible on the tyre, but they are across the contact patch, while these cracks run along circumference of the tyre (perpendicular to the other mould lines). Secondly the other mould lines are perfectly straight lines, while that in photo is very wavy. Hence I do not think it is mould line. I will try to click a pic of the other mould lines today or tomorrow.

Last edited by AkMar : 14th June 2016 at 17:40.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I have Amazer 3G tyres as OE on my 5 yr 35k kms old WagonR. It has been through extremely sharp rocks, bad rural and mountain roads too. Yet they do not have any such cracks. They seem like a case of manufacturing defect but how can all 4 tyres be defective? In any case, please ask for replacement ASAP.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was reading your post and browsed through the pics with cracks in the treads and thought it not entirely unusual. That is until I saw the last pic. The tread seems to be separating at the point it meets the carcass. Looks like a serious manufacturing defect to me.

Take the tyres to the car dealer and have the tyre manufacturer representative inspect them.

I have replaced my Michelins when they exhibited smaller cracks (at the point where the sidewall merges with the tread) than the ones seen in your tyres.

And yes, I would not drive at high speeds with these tyres on. A tyre failure at high speeds means almost certain loss of control leading to death or grievous injuries to the driver and passengers.

I am exceedingly cautious when it comes to tyre condition and highway driving. Sorry man, I don't want to sound morbid but we can recall reports of accidents on the Mumbai - Pune expressway caused by tyre blowouts.

If I were you I'd get them replaced warranty or no warranty.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks