Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2006, 13:24   #1
BHPian

Hi tbhpians,

I own a 2004 Zen VXi running on stock MRF ZVTS. Like with most of us, the monsoon roads took a toll on my car's alignment and balancing. The steering wheel was vibrating a lot on speeds over 80 kmph.

Like I always do, I took my baby to BEST Tyres, Vashi for alignment and balancing. The guy there checked the alignment and added a few weights. When I took a test drive, I was surprised to still see some vibration seeping into the steering column on speeds above 80. I asked him to check it again, and on my request, he re-checked the balancing. However, the problem persisted. I spoke to the owner of the shop about this. He said that MRF ZVTS, as a radial, was a failure and often developed these problems beyond 20k kms. He said the rubber was too hard and did not balance properly.

My tyres have done about 25k kms. He even offered a good deal on Turanzas. However, I was not convinced that my radials have gone bad just at 25k kms. The tread is still deep enough and will serve me for another 10k kms at least. Has any one else faced such a problem with ZVTS? Any insight into this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 5th October 2006, 13:53   #2
BHPian

I too have a stock zen shod with ZVTS and believe me these are really lousy tyres. Can't count the number of flats I've had. Experienced the vibration problem too.
Old 5th October 2006, 14:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi dueller

MRF tyres are carbon based while the michelins/bridgestones etc are silicon based, which makes the latter superior and the former harder. this is a well known fact for anyone who has had to change their tyres in the recent past.

but, it is also a well known fact that MRF tyres, though hard & noisy, will last for at least 40k kms. I think the dealer is trying to make a sale here. of course, ideally it would be good to change your tyres to the modern types, but do you really have to ? i think not. please take it to a MRF exclusive showroom & have him balance & align the tyres, but please keep him informed of what you have already done so far & show him the alignment specs.
Old 5th October 2006, 14:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

Check your tie rod ends and wheel bearings -might be amiss also
Old 5th October 2006, 17:02   #5
BHPian

Thanks, Esteem Lover. I think I will just drive down to a MRF showroom and let those guys answer my quality concerns. By the way, does MRF have any replacement warranty for such non-performing tyres? If so, I can take new MRFs from him under warranty, and exchange them off locally for Turanzas

@Ajmat: I think the tie-rods and bearings should be fine. The car is barely two years old and driven quiet sanely.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 6th October 2006, 01:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

dude check the rims also.Sometimes rim get bent from inside too leading to constant vibrations even after balancing.I had the same issue as u.changing the front 2 rims to new onces solved the problem.
By the way i have a maruti 800 and i too have 145/80/r12 mrf zvts(zen tyres) in my 800..
Old 6th October 2006, 20:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had ZVTS on my zen till 35k kms n loved them never had an issue n not even a flat for 4 years may b thats luck.....These tyres do have a tendency to get hard after a few years but i never had this vibration prob in my car....Do get other parameters checked..!!!
Old 3rd December 2006, 10:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

My MRF ZVTS are 2000 km/2month old and i have got them balanced about 5 to 6 times now.Everytime they balance it 300 km to 350 is max everythin stays vibration free.After that the steering starts vibrating.Now anythin above the speed of 80 and the steering is vibrating.
Made one of the service engineers from mrf office worli come to gaurdex tyres to check out my problem.He balanced the tyres as in how thy balance the alloy wheels one sided balancing and now around 500 km later the steering is back to its vibrating self.
Again called the service engineer mr allen and he said go to gaurdex tyres tomorrow and give me a call from there.Any solutions to the problems?I m plannin of returning the tyres at any cost.I cant handle all this
Old 4th December 2006, 00:33   #9
BHPian

If you were to hunt around for new set of ZVTS tyres you'd know that either no one has them or they have very old stocks.This tyre has failed and has very poor service history.From what I've learnt from a MRF dealer the company has stopped supplies of the same in the replacement market as they were faced with lots of claims from the OE fitment.
Old 4th December 2006, 14:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Contacted The MRF head office in chennai today.Spoke to chief technical advisor of mrf there.He forwarded my complaint to the chief technical advisor of the maharashtra unit.He was on and on with the crap that mrf tyres are this and that.I lost it and i told him look dude..!!I m facin a problem and this has got nothin to do with my car as the suspension components are all new.
He was like 800s have a fragile body and even i have an 800 and it vibrates at speeds over 80.I go like get your car checked them.With my old jk tyres the car used to be rock steady even at 130 even when they had run 42000km.
He said tomorrow i ll speak to the gaurdex tyres people u go there and they ll see to everythin.I told him that if there is something defective even in one of the tyres he ll have to take all of them back.I m tired with zvts.i have lost my faith in gaurdex and i m loosin my faith in mrf too now.Told him about this problem being discussed on team-bhp too and very soon will be in newspapers and if my problem is not solved will go to consumer court too!!!
Old 4th December 2006, 14:52   #11
BHPian

hey buddy even i own a zen with stock ZVTS and it has clocked 61k kms. I even replaced one set back to stock ZVTS and I havent found any big probs. ofcourse the rubber is hard and bit sad, but its the rim bend that give the shake at speeds below 80kmph. i also had this ptobs, so changed to newer rims in the front and its fine now. check your rims buddy.
Old 4th December 2006, 18:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

The front rims were purchased brand new the day the tyres were purchased.!!!
Old 5th December 2006, 13:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Went to Gaurdex Tyres today.He Removed the back tyres rebalanced them.Rebalanced the front tyres.He put both the front tyres back and the back tyres front.Now the new rims are behind and the old rims are in the front.took the car from 80 till 120 and no hint of any kind of vibration in the floor or steering.
Also while rebalancin the tyres had a difference of 10 grams in each tyre from the last time we balanced it 400km back.What the hell.400 km running makes a tyre have a difference of 10 grams in balancing weights
He then told me that right side wheel bearing had play and to get it checked asap.He said 'DAG" maar raha hai right side wheel.
I went to maruti showroom and he said there no play anywhere and everythin was fine.Called him back and he was not ready to listen to it sayin that maine check kiya tabhi tha na play.I was like maruti people are more qualifed to check maruti cars or u.He was not ready to listen
Explained the story to mr George in the chennai office and he too agreed that maruti people are more qualifed to handle such things rather than the gaurdex fellow.
Then Mr george goes like why did u fix 145/80/r12 in your 800 and not the routine 145/70/r12 i go like better comfort/mileage etc etc.He goes like just because u have fixed these tyres on the 800 u are facin these problems and all that.I go like me being an automobile engineer i would not agree on that.How can 70 to 80 increase in aspect ratio lead to them gettin unbalanced every 400 km.He goes on with some sidewall theory and all that.I go like i totally dont agree on that with u
He goes like ok run the car if the problem is back get back to me.
Guys what do u think?give me some honest opinions please
Old 4th April 2007, 10:55   #14

Same here They are pathetic tyres dont ever buy MRF as they dont have quality control
Old 28th August 2007, 11:20   #15
BHPian

humyum, how is your car running now with those tyres?

was the problem because of MRF or because you changed the size to 145/80??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks