Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2007, 13:08   #31
BHPian

Guess this spacers increases the height of the car right??? I have seen some m800s exposing too much of their bottom with such mods. Also they might screw up the handling little bit... not sure about other problems.

BTW OT, which "opel" service center u go to?? I do service at sundaram. Do post some pics of you car...
Old 30th January 2007, 13:32   #32
sAP
BHPian

Spacer widen track width

A spacer is something used to widen the track width. It goes between the wheel and the wheel hub of the car -- basically pushing each wheel outwards. It does not increase ride height. See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/152117-post11.html

A spacer helps if your tires are rubbing against the inside wheel well (the part that is closer to the center of the car). But you have mentioned that your tires are rubbing against the outer sidewall. I am not sure how a *spacer* helps in this scenario.

sAP
Old 30th January 2007, 17:43   #33

I am no expert. But I am told by the Garuda Service centre and Car Shringar that there is spacers available which will increase the height by 1". Garuda has asked me to look for Aluminium Spacers which is added to shock absorbers.

Car Shringar also has told be almost the same thing and that Bosch Service Centres are supposed to be good in doing this work. They gave me RS Motorcrafts (One of the Bosch centres) as the best people to do it. But I came to know that it is not functional any more and there is a Adigas Automobiles in Bull Temple Road. Called them up and they are willing to take a look.

Both Garuda and Adigas (over phone) argue that the issue is because I went for R14 instead of R13. But I went by the tyre size calculator - I replaced 175/70/R13 with 185/60/R14. My feeling is that the alloys I bought project more outwards and it is rubbing against the outer side wall and it does not have much to do with the tyre height. But I am not able to convince many with my theory.

Sreeku
Old 30th January 2007, 19:20   #34
sAP
BHPian

You are right about the width of the tire causing this problem rather than the height of the tire. The term *spacers* used by the dealers is confusing since that is used to refer something altogether different.

I wonder where these attachments go on the rear shocks (top or bottom) and how reliable those welds (if any) are going to be.

sAP
Old 6th April 2015, 21:29   #35
BHPian

Corsa Sail needs a change of footwear

My 2004 Corsa Sail 1.6 needs a change of footwear. The current Goodyear GPS2s are over 5 years old now and have developed some sidewall damage which is causing the car to wobble over 100kmph. Not very safe now, is it?

Anyways, have decided to change all four and need some input to solve the confusion between the below options:

1. Michelin XM2:
I use XM1+ on my OHC and am quite delighted with their performance over the last couple of years. My only issue is that the XM1s are quite soft on the sidewall and if the XM2s are in the same league then will the Corsa's heavy front end cause damage to the sidewalls?
Also have heard horror stories about them being sensitive to bad roads and high-speed potholes.
So far, these are my favourites but the soft sidewalls stories are scaring me.

2. Bridgestone B290:
I know for a fact that the B-stones are harder than Michelins so that solves the sidewall drama in my head. But almost everyone I know has given a thumbsdown to the B-stones over the Michelins. They say these are too hard and after 15000 kms the performance tapers down drastically. THAT in my books is a bigger worry than softer walls.

3. Continental MC5:
Know nothing about them except that they generally have good reviews.

The XM2s are currently at about 4600 per unit for the 175/70-13 that i need. The B290s are about 200 bucks cheaper. No clue on MC5 pricing

I am planning to change tomorrow as I dont want to drive around on the damaged GPS2 anymore.

Confusion Confusion
Old 6th April 2015, 23:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Corsa Sail needs a change of footwear

Was going for the quote button and hit 'thanks'. So post a few clicks of the Corsa plus click the thanks button in my post & we will call it even

As for the tires if you are going for 13" then get the Continental Comfort Contact 5 or the CC5. These are made in India Contis and are superb tires. Have them on our Swift zxi and these are super comfortable, silent and tough. Our driver has a tendency to rub up against manhole covers and the tires are doing Aok - touchwood.

Else go for the XM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post

The XM2s are currently at about 4600 per unit for the 175/70-13 that i need. The B290s are about 200 bucks cheaper. No clue on MC5 pricing

I am planning to change tomorrow as I dont want to drive around on the damaged GPS2 anymore.

Confusion Confusion
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 07:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Was going for the quote button and hit 'thanks'. So post a few clicks of the Corsa plus click the thanks button in my post & we will call it even

As for the tires if you are going for 13" then get the Continental Comfort Contact 5 or the CC5. These are made in India Contis and are superb tires. Have them on our Swift zxi and these are super comfortable, silent and tough. Our driver has a tendency to rub up against manhole covers and the tires are doing Aok - touchwood.

Else go for the XM2
Planning to go to Madhus and see both the CC5 and the XM2. From the look of things the BStones are out of the consideration.

Will post a pic of whatever I Install. Oh and the favour was returned
Old 7th April 2015, 12:48   #38
BHPian

Went to Madhus, saw both the XM2 and the CC5. The CC5 was 400 bucks per tyre cheaper than the XM2 and the sidewalls were much stiffer.
Went with the Contis and got the alignment and Road Force Balancing done. Was super confused but the very helpful gentleman at Madhus explained me the pros and cons of both brands in detail.
Very very impressed with the service at Madhus, even though they are about 10 kms away from my place will still go back to them for all my tyre needs. Brilliant service.

First impression after putting the Conti CC5s:
1. Way way quieter than the Goodyears. Also quieter than the XM1s on my City
2. Ride quality and comfort is the same in the city as my Goodyears GPS2s. Not much change there. But at faster speeds the ride quality is much improved.
3. They grip well in corners. No roll even at triple digit speeds
4. Braking has improved perceptibly. The car stops shorter than the GPS2s.

Overall, impressed with the initial feedback from the tyres. The quality is good too. Will revert after more usage.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks