Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2006, 13:48   #1

Hello,

Sidewall of Left side rear wheel of my car (running 3000 KMs) is cut by 2 cm . I don't know how this has happened as I don't remember hitting pothole etc. Currently I have given this tyre for claim and using spare wheel.

If claim is rejected then dealer told me to use spare wheel and use this damaged tyre as spare wheel after repair. He told me for repair hot process will be used to seal tyre gaps and put patch from inside. Is this option good for spare wheel? Or buying new tyre is the only option?

What do you suggest? Please let me know your opinion and experience of similar event.

Thanks & Regards.
Old 30th October 2006, 15:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportive_guy30
Hello,

Sidewall of Left side rear wheel of my car (running 3000 KMs) is cut by 2 cm . I don't know how this has happened as I don't remember hitting pothole etc. Currently I have given this tyre for claim and using spare wheel.

If claim is rejected then dealer told me to use spare wheel and use this damaged tyre as spare wheel after repair. He told me for repair hot process will be used to seal tyre gaps and put patch from inside. Is this option good for spare wheel? Or buying new tyre is the only option?

What do you suggest? Please let me know your opinion and experience of similar event.

Thanks & Regards.
Never atempt to repair and use a tyre whose sidewall is broken. Suject to warranty, push for a replacement; else buy a new tyre.
Old 30th October 2006, 15:51   #3
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportive_guy30
Is this option good for spare wheel? Or buying new tyre is the only option?

Ofcourse push for a replacement.

But in the worse case scinereo........
I had a tyre which had a 3cm cut (hit a pothole) on the sidewall which I patched up and kept as spare. I even used it at front for some time until another cut and death with another pothole. It didnt give any issue except for a slight roughness due to the heavy patch which wasn’t noticeable.
Old 30th October 2006, 16:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well if your claim is not entertained then you could go in for the repair process that the dealer has advised. But keep in mind that even after post-repairs the tyre would only be for sporadic, small distance uses only. You cannot use it for extended distances and certainly not for high-speed runs. Also the tyre post-repairs will remain permanently disbalanced and thus whenever you mount it on at certain speeds it will cause your steering wheel to shake.

So ultimately it's your call, do tell us what happens about the warranty claim though.
Old 30th October 2006, 16:11   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I've had two Potenza GIII's with ruptured sidewalls... i got both the tyres repaired but they aren't even close to the original thing. its best to get the patch-waatch put and use the tyre with a tube. Without the tube there will be a huge and i mean HUGE bulge around the patched area and is very unsafe. as everyone advised its best to get a new tyre and use this one as a spare.
Old 30th October 2006, 16:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

As aZa suggests, get the tube and use it as a spare if warranty does not come through.
sidewall patchwork can give away even on small distances depending upon how good is the job.
Thats why it is said that if a tubless has a sidewall cut, the tire is as good as gone, and you can insert a tube and use it as spare.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th October 2006 at 16:15.
Old 30th October 2006, 16:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had posted a similar issue with one of my NCT5s - can't recall which thread.
There was a small, < 1cm, cut. It has been repaired with a patch from inside - Rs. 200 was fleeced from me ! Have kept it as a spare. Will get a new tyre when I get a good quote.
The tyre shop I went to for the repair was asking for Rs. 4300 per NCT5.
Old 31st October 2006, 10:17   #8

Thanks everyone for your reply

Hopefully I will get status of claim in 2, 3 days and then will inform you.

kph, iraghava : Dealer told me the same thing that you will feel slight roughness for repair tyre, but he specially mentioned to use repaired tyre as a spare wheel and normal speed drive only, not for regular use.

aZa, tsk1979: So you suggest to put tube in tyre after repair. Then is there any need to repair and putting patch from inside if tube is inserted and used as spare wheel? or repair is necessary and then only use tube?

Thanks & Regards,
Old 31st October 2006, 11:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

For a minor cut you dont need any repair, just insert the tube, and never ever use this tyre for high speed runs, use it only as a spare wheel!
Old 31st October 2006, 11:11   #10
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
For a minor cut you dont need any repair, just insert the tube, and never ever use this tyre for high speed runs, use it only as a spare wheel!
2cm cut is not a minor one.
Definitely need a patch, then keep as spare
Old 7th November 2006, 10:45   #11

Hi All,

Just to keep you updated.

I couldn't get replacement from Good year, report says side wall cut, service abuse not a manufacutring defect and my claim was rejected.

As suggested by aZa, tsk1979, I got it tyre repaired from retreading wala, he has applied patch from inside and closed GAP. Unless you know crack is not visible. To be on safer side I bought good year tube and inserted in this tyre. Now I will be using this as spare wheel and earlier spare wheel is using for regular purpose. Total amount spent Rs. 550 (tube 300 + repair 250).

Regards.
Old 7th November 2006, 11:21   #12
kph
BHPian

That repairing wala looted you. Patching shouldnt go above 150 for a small one like yours.
Old 7th November 2006, 12:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Just go to your dealer and pick up a used tyre which you can use as your spare wheel. Should not cost you over 1k for a real good one. Do not use the repaired tyre at all.

manson.
Old 7th November 2006, 12:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

If tyres are run with low pressure, they can get damaged without you hitting anything. Just the strain on the sidewall is enuf to make it weak over a period of time.

Most gauges at petrol stations over read by atleast 2-4psi, so going by their guage isn't enuf. Always carry a personal guage with you.

As for the tyre, i doubt you'l get a replacement. If it doesn't work out, it's better you get a new one or pick up a 2nd hand tyre thats in good condition.

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2007, 16:08   #15
BHPian

Hi all,
I just noticed that my 8K run Indica has a crack on the side of the tyre. The crack is such that it is not visible normally at all. Only when that portion of the wheel is at the bottom (so the weight of the car is on this part) can i see the crack (about 1.5 cm). Would this be considered a manufacturing defect?
I took pictures, so will post them soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks