Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2017, 19:20   #46

Re: Tyre damaged from hitting the kerb. Now what?

Hello all.. For sake of safety and peace of mind I would suggest you put a new tyre and retain this a s a stepney. Secondly,consider the possibility of using nitrogen in your tyres as they run cooler and wont be prone to blowouts as against to using of air in the tyres.
Old 7th May 2017, 14:59   #47
eko
BHPian

Hi,
A tire strength cannot depend on a tire shop guy’s word, however there are exceptions. The damage on your tire side wall looks harm less but looks can be deceptive in case of tyres. The side wall of tire in picture is not pierced, but the damage is on surface. You cannot assess the damage inside just by visual inspection. It is not known from outside if there is any damage to tire structure.
The tire side wall has lesser plies than the tread (Normally it is written on tire side wall: “tread -4 plies, side wall - 2 plies" - check yours). This means that a damage on a side wall is more dangerous than on tread. Better not take chances with tire.
Old 8th May 2017, 16:04   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

5000 or peace of mind, choice is absolutely yours. For me the pick is obvious.

Good Luck!!
Old 10th May 2017, 13:14   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I was making a left turn while driving my Jazz the other day, and the rear wheel hit the kerb (it was abrupt edge of the kerb with sharp edges ). It caused a dent in my tyre. I am attaching the pictures below. I took it to a tyre shop, had them remove the tyre, inspect it, and make sure there was no debris inside, and had them put it back again. The tyre shop guys told me that it should be all right and shouldn't cause any issues, just advised me to drive carefully and make sure I don't hit that part of the tyre again.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Is there anything else I need to be aware of? I am planning on driving to Bangalore from Hyderabad later this month, and I want to make sure its safe (the tyre shop guys told me it shouldn't be an issue).
This looks alright to me in the pictures, I had a similar thing on my tyre, What I did was buy a tube of Silicon Sealant Black color from a Hardware store and filled the blank with silicon sealant and finished it off by rubbing sand paper on the excess sealant after it dried completely. Its been three years since and I have had no issues at all on high speeds as well as bad roads. Give it a try you will be surprised.
KarNut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 13:53   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarNut View Post
What I did was buy a tube of Silicon Sealant Black color from a Hardware store and filled the blank with silicon sealant and finished it off by rubbing sand paper on the excess sealant after it dried completely.
Well I am not sure about how good this technique is unless you want to sell your car to an unsuspecting buyer. Any sealant as the name indicates is just to prevent the entry or exit of any fluid and it cannot provide any structural strength - especially to the sidewalls of a tyre.

If no untoward incident has happened with your car for the last 3 years, give credit to your luck and not the sealant.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 18:30   #51

Hi,

I have an Ertiga bought last year in Nov'22. I am a newbie driver. Today when taking a U turn in a small space my right rear tyre hit the kerb. There was some damage to the Alloy wheel as well.

There were few cuts on the side wall of the tyre, but on the looks of it there is no major cut. Is the tyre safe to be continued. Pls help me.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre damaged from hitting the kerb. Now what?-whatsapp-image-20230407-18.27.38-1.jpeg  

Tyre damaged from hitting the kerb. Now what?-whatsapp-image-20230407-18.27.38.jpeg  

Old 7th April 2023, 19:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchris25 View Post
There were few cuts on the side wall of the tyre, but on the looks of it there is no major cut. Is the tyre safe to be continued. Pls help me.
Discard it. There appears to be a minor bulge already right next to the cut where your thumb is placed. It will only get worse as you clock more kms and the tyre may fail at this weak point on highways. Get a new tyre or replace it with the spare tyre if sizes are same.
Old 7th April 2023, 20:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchris25 View Post
Get it inspected from the inside at tyre manufacturer's authorised dealership.
Old 8th April 2023, 19:28   #54

Thank you MT_Hyderabad and self_driven,

I checked this today at a tyre dealership and the cut was very small and inside the tyre also there was no issue. But I decided to use that as a spare and replaced it with the new spare tyre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks