Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2017, 15:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford replacing problematic MRF tyres on Figo & Aspire

I just dropped off my figo for 2nd service (1yr/97xx kms). I had always noticed higher noise on the MRF tyres especially on Highways and rough patches of roads. I conveyed this to the SA and he said that MRF OEM tyres fitted to figo/aspire between from some time in 2015 to jan/feb 2016 had some issues, as accepted by MRF. They (Ford) get full refund from MRF in case the car hasn't crossed 10,000 kms.

However, my car is from Aug 2016 and falls outside the apparently faulty batches. I did ask them to check it, since the tyres could be from Jan or feb 2016 even though the car is bought in Aug 2016. So they will check it and send a report to MRF (or Ford HQ?) and let me know the details.

Regarding replacement tyres, they will offer bridgestones and some other brands for free. However, if I wanted to go for a "premium tyre" like Michelin, I will have to pay the balance amount ( actual michelin tyre cost - claim amount on MRF)
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 09:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
My tyres were replaced under warranty to Michelin XM2s for Rs.5100 at 14,443 on the Odometer.
Update on the tyres.

There is a BIG difference in performance between the old MRFs and the new XM2s. I just drove 400 kms to Bangalore and my average speeds were faster compared to my last trip on the MRFs.

The road grip has improved and the steering feels firmer. Previously, the car did not give me confidence to do anything over 110 kmph on the expressway. This time I could comfortably go 30 over that. These tyres can probably do more once I get used driving at those speeds.

These Michelin's are H rated (as against T of the MRFs) so they are designed to go upto 210 kmph.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 14:30   #18
BHPian

Can anyone please confirm if the MRF tyre replacement is done for petrol Aspire as well? I told the service centre regarding the noise but they rejected my claim. Then escalated with Ford India. Got a call from them. They are looking at my claim currently. But what I heard from Ford was that the MRF tyres are the culprit and are being replaced for Figo/Aspire but only for diesel models.

Is there a difference between petrol and diesel Aspire with respect to tyres? I agree that the kerb weight could be a little more in the diesel vehicle but I don't think it makes a big difference. Or could it be the anti roll bar present in the diesel? Petrol Aspires do not have anti roll bar and could this be the reason why they say petrol Aspires are not susceptible to road noise even with MRF rubbers?
Old 15th September 2017, 14:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Can anyone please confirm if the MRF tyre replacement is done for petrol Aspire as well?
Mine is the Petrol Ambiente - probably the lightest of the Aspires.
Old 15th September 2017, 14:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a difference between petrol and diesel Aspire with respect to tyres? I agree that the kerb weight could be a little more in the diesel vehicle but I don't think it makes a big difference. Or could it be the anti roll bar present in the diesel? Petrol Aspires do not have anti roll bar and could this be the reason why they say petrol Aspires are not susceptible to road noise even with MRF rubbers?

Are you sure the Petrol Aspires do not have anti-Roll bar? I wouldn't think so.
It should be present beside your car's rear axle.
Old 15th September 2017, 15:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Are you sure the Petrol Aspires do not have anti-Roll bar? I wouldn't think so.
It should be present beside your car's rear axle.
Well, at least that's what many members have confirmed earlier.
Old 15th September 2017, 15:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, at least that's what many members have confirmed earlier.
Well, that was the case in the earlier Ford Ikon.
The Aspire (diesel) surely has it, going by the picture from TBHP Review.
Request you to double check once on your petrol one, I believed that the Diesel and Petrol were identical 'mechanically'.
Old 15th September 2017, 18:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
These Michelin's are H rated (as against T of the MRFs) so they are designed to go upto 210 kmph.
Do you remember which variant of MRF tyres (ZVTS/ZVTV/ZV2K/ZLX/ZLO) did your car come with in the first place? And, did you enquire from the service centre as to what exactly was the problem with the tyres that prompted them to offer replacements?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks