Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2018, 20:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: Buying Tyres on Amazon.in

I had checked the prices at amazon recently while changing my ertiga tyre. But the price difference when buying from the shop, free installation etc made it a better deal than buying from amazon. So went and bought from Madhus.
guruji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 00:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
I had checked the prices at amazon recently while changing my ertiga tyre. But the price difference when buying from the shop, free installation etc made it a better deal than buying from amazon. So went and bought from Madhus.
Changed my Duster tires yesterday from stock MRF to Yokohoma Geolander HT. The local shop price matched along with free installation, Wheel balancing and Alignement. Was looking to pickup from amazon as well, but didnt know we could contact seller to get the MFG dates. I was mainly avoiding amazon to weed out old stock.
v6kgang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 05:21   #18
BHPian

There is also another e-commerce platform specifically for tyres - www.tyremarket.com
I've heard its very good!
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 11:22   #19
BHPian

I was looking for Michelin tyres for my bike two years back and couldn't get them in & around HSR Layout. I bought them from Premji tyres and yes they were nicely packed and delivered. In fact it (tyres cost + replacements at a workshop nearby) worked out to be a lot cheaper than the price quoted in HSR Layout (although they didn't have stock).
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Buying Tyres on Amazon.in-tyres.jpg  

rdeivan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 15:31   #20
BHPian

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing. My only peeve is that markups cited by the vendors during listing, and then the actual price of the product (in the product listing page). This one puts me off immediately. For e.g, in the pictures you have posted, the prices are some 13,000+ in strike-through font, and then the selling price. So, how do I know what is the actual price and why this seller is giving such a huge discount? Why mention that price at all when its no longer relevant and if its not on sale? I would feel more comfortable if one price is listed and the seller sticks by the same. This is one of the discouraging element of online shopping, I am glad that you have cleared this up for me.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 30th January 2018 at 15:32.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 15:42   #21
BHPian

Awesome deal. The only thing i would worry about is after sales service. However there is actually no after sales service required in case if tyres, still it might be a challenge to followup directly with company on manufacturing defect related claims, which again is not that frequent.
Ashdel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 15:47   #22
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience. Here is my experience with tyre shopping at Amazon.
I use Yokohama S-drives on my polo GT, and lately been having sidewall bursts at speeds of under 60kmph(two in two months), thanks to the toll-collected NHS between Chennai and Walajah with craters for potholes. The first time I had to return home from chennai immediately and had to buy the tyre for 6200. During the second replacement however , I had plenty of time before the car was going to be on the highway and plenty of time in hand as well. So called multiple dealers and the least qoute was for about 5800 and that guy had only 12/2016 tyre(this was in vellore, not many reasonable tyre stores in here)
Enter Amazon in to my search zone, the tyre was listed at 5555 by Premji Tyres, thane. Wrote a mail, enquiring the manufacturing date, they replied promptly under 2hrs, saying it was 10/2017.
Ordered using Amazon pay and saved another 250 or so (don't remember exactly). The tyre was delivered in 2 days, got it fitted the next day along with my regular WA/WB, at local MRF store. They didn't charge me the fitting cost, since I was a regular.
It was overall a pleasant experience, if you have time on your side and want to save decent money, Amazon has got your back.

Cheers,
D.
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 17:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
It was overall a pleasant experience, if you have time on your side and want to save decent money, Amazon has got your back.

Cheers,
D.
From the perspective of price, probably not for very long. Recently in Europe, I see the prices in traditional brick and mortar stores are very competitive compared to online prices. And in many cases, if you add the shipping charges, Amazon actually comes out as more expensive. Amazon or its traditional competitors pricing in mature markets seems to have changed quiet a bit. Back in the days I used to see an average 10% benefit on everything I bought online. The biggest advantage I see in buying online is the variety of products you can buy.
Theyota is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 18:47   #24
BHPian

I did buy Pirelli Diablo Rosso II for my KTM RC390 from amazon.in. The tyre was priced around ₹8000/- in store and got it for around ₹5.5k in September. Today I checked it and it is around ₹5k; planning to change the front one now which is listed at 4k.

Overall no problems faced.
2himanshu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 19:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have ordered at least two sets of tyres (Yokohoma and Michelin) from Amazon and the delivery experience has always been good.

The plastic packaging is pretty good and protects the car from moisture, nicks etc. However it is a pain to dispose. It is especially good for those hard to get sizes that are commonly not in ready stock.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 23:01   #26
BHPian

The quality of products sold on amazon is same as the ones you get in local stores. Even a touch better. We are sellers on amazon and we know the quality checks they perform. But only buy products that are FBA(Fulfilled by amazon) or prime. Those are the best quality products stored at amazon warehouses and will be delivered on time.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 16:26   #27
BHPian

When I changed the tires (all 4) of my car last year, I seriously considered the online option. I did not proceed because I was skeptical about who can change the tires. Finally, I ended up buying all 4 of them from 'Tyre Empire' in HSR

I will surely go for this option if Amazon provides the service end to end i.e.
1) Selling news tires
2) fixing them
3) wheels balancing and
4) purchasing the older tires back

I am open to avail this service either at my residence or any other designated point like an Amazon delivery center.

Will keep a tab on this piece of news. Thank you for sharing.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 21:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

If the question is, would I buy again from Amazon.in, the answer is resounding "Yes"

And before closing I would also like to appreciate Mark Premji from Premji TyrePlus, Thane, Maharashtra for keeping his words and sending us the latest stock of Tires at the best prices in India. I believe there is dedicated thread regarding Premji TyrePlus which I saw just now before writing this article. I will share more appreciation on the dedicated thread as well.

Ending Shot - Yes, It was Amazon Delivered!
This write up is on par with our official detailed review. Many thanks for your and buyer for sharing this with entire community.

It helps a lot of members like me, who want to get a good deal and still ensure the latest stock is used. I heard only positive things for Premji tyres, and they should be appreciated for being so prompt with accurate information.

For the Amazon/Dealers who parcel products, they should have used special care for the tyres(I hope its not asking too much).
Kams_cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:47   #29
WYN

My experience with buying Tires Online (specifically PAYTM) but what one tire dealer once said about tire grades and low grade online tires just came true and hit me on my head and how his predictions came right... read on!

About 18 months ago approx (Year and Half) my Etios GD with OE 14" Inch Goodyear Tires was due for tires replacement at exactly 50,000 Km (apologizes as I don't recall the exact tire size and details, so won't be very detailed and technical here).

I had a huge problem of hitting the under-body on speed breakers and rough roads and whenever the vehicle had 4/5 adults in it. So I decided to replace them with 15" Inch Tires to get some vehicle height. So I had to get 15" Wheels and set of new Tires. Something close to 15" OE spec wheel/tire set.

A friend of my gave me a set of new OE 15" Steel Wheels of a previous model Honda Jazz (he had put in new Alloys while taking new delivery), same PCD, nearly identical in spec to Toyota OE 15" steel Wheels. And in short quickly compared Tire dealer prices etc and went ahead with first time buying a set of 5 Goodyear 15" Tires from PAYTM Online. Saved up about Rs. 5,000+ something. Felt it was a great deal. Tires arrived and had new production dates etc and installed them and bang... everything perfect, I was one happy guy.

A couple of weeks later ended up at a car washing station and they too sold Goodyear tires there. Ended up in a discussion with the owner (nice chap) and told him about how much I saved buying online from Paytm etc etc. The next part of info came as a surprise.

He casually told me... he said Tires today come in 3 qualities.

1st Grade = OE Tires = The best / excellent mileage (max usage KM)

2nd Grade = Replacement aftermarket Dealer tires = Good / also very good mileage

3rd Grade = Online Tires = Low quality / made to cost / wont last long

And somehow his words have come true for me. Note that I was changing tires first time from OE tires at 50,000 Km. Now my car is run 75,000 Km, which means the Online Goodyear tires I bought have run for 25,000 Km. And now they seem to have high wear and may not even come close to the OE mileage. I live and drive in Goa and we have good roads around. The max I feel is another 5,000 Km and I may have to change them around summer or before the monsoon say at 30,000 Km +/- 2,500 Km tops. This may be just me or a one off and the whole tire grade thing may not be true. But it happened to me!
WYN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 15:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYN View Post
He casually told me... he said Tires today come in 3 qualities.

1st Grade = OE Tires = The best / excellent mileage (max usage KM)

2nd Grade = Replacement aftermarket Dealer tires = Good / also very good mileage

3rd Grade = Online Tires = Low quality / made to cost / wont last long
I think this is complete hogwash!

No manufacturer would make 3 different qualities of the same product for separate supply channels. This would just make their production line more complicated and increase costs.

And what would be their real benefit out of this? Their brand image would be tattered if the product is bought online and can be used for only 25k.

I think there are other reasons why your tires have not lasted as long as you expected.
raj_5004 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks