Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2007, 02:34   #1
BHPian

Bridgestone GIII or Yokohama Avs ES100 for Swift And Esteem

Hello everyone.. i have a slight dilema about what tyres to choose next. I currently have 185/60 R14 Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-DII's on my Esteem and have run them about 20,000K and now i want to change. Also I am getting a Brand new Suzuki Swift ZXi. Now i want to get 195/60 R14 for the Esteem and i dont know what tyre to buy next ! Bridgestone G-III or Yokohama AVS ES-100?
As for the Swift. I would also like to run 195's but am looking for recommendations on Tyre Diamenters . What would you suggest. 195/60 R14 or 195/60 R15 ? and Why ??
please keep the suggestions flowing.
thanx in advance guys
boom
Old 7th January 2007, 02:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Esteem - Depending on your preferences with regards to grip or performance you can go for the following:

Yokohama AVS ES 100
Bridgestone Potenza GIII
Michelin Energy XM1
Michelin Pilot Precada

Also I think for Esteem 185/60 R14 should be more than enough.

Swift - Ideal upsizes are either 195/70 R14 or 195/60 R15. I would go for the 15" as they retain decent ride comfort & also look pretty good. Tyres can be picked out from the same options as above.
Old 7th January 2007, 03:36   #3
BHPian

hello baba.. thanx for the super quick reply
umm im only looking at bridgestone or yokohama.. So out of these 2 brands which one would you choose ?
thank you again
big boom
Old 7th January 2007, 04:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

go in for the yokohamas..heard about the es100's...good grip..good thread design too...put these on your swift and esteem.
Old 7th January 2007, 04:17   #5
BHPian

Thank you Danlalan..
umm would you rate the yokohama AVS ES100 as better compared to the Bridgestone Potenza G-III ? I have tried the Goodyear Eagle f-1's which were 185/60 R14 .
Now planning to shift to 195 on both cars. But the esteem will be 14 inch and the Swift 15 inch. I am only looking for all out performance baba. If they look good then thats a Bonus. But definately not a requiremnt.
Thank you for all the help and please keep the suggestiong Flowing
Big Boom
Old 7th January 2007, 04:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Both are very good tyres. I would go for the Yoko's over the Bridgestone's. Also why don't you try one car on Yoko's & the other on Bridgestone's?

As for the Goodyear Eagle's you have well I ran one set on my car & was very disappointed with them. Never again for me.
Old 7th January 2007, 05:08   #7
BHPian

yep.. i agree with you on that Sirji.. the goodyears suck !! lol
well i have had yoko's on my pajero forever and no complains. and as you had recomended i had my bro pickup the new yoko geolanders for the pajero. He says they feel really good.
Umm id love to try out 2 different brands. only reason i wanted to get the same brand is cause then its just simpler to deal with any issues if any. Same dealer . just convinience i guess.
hmm im still confused.. hehehe. I was kinda leaning toward bridgestone because i wanted peace of mind. These goodyears dont last long at all.. The first 10 odd thousand Km they were super.. then they DIED !! lol
so yep.. i dunno what to do. Are the bridgestone G-III 's made in india or imported? i know the Yoko's are imported.Also what tyre would you rate as best in Wet conditions ?
Thank you for all your help.. Sirji
Big big Boom
Old 7th January 2007, 09:06   #8
BANNED

Hey,

Go for the Yokohoma ES100 eyes closed you will love them. Besides they are cheaper than the the Bridgestones. Both are imported for your info.

Viper

Off Topic PS - Please have your plugs collected/fitted before I finish the stock.
Old 7th January 2007, 11:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
Hello everyone.. i have a slight dilema about what tyres to choose next. I currently have 185/60 R14 Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-DII's on my Esteem and have run them about 20,000K and now i want to change. Also I am getting a Brand new Suzuki Swift ZXi. Now i want to get 195/60 R14 for the Esteem and i dont know what tyre to buy next ! Bridgestone G-III or Yokohama AVS ES-100?
As for the Swift. I would also like to run 195's but am looking for recommendations on Tyre Diamenters . What would you suggest. 195/60 R14 or 195/60 R15 ? and Why ??
please keep the suggestions flowing.
thanx in advance guys
boom

I think GIII has the best grip , but it may not be upto everyone's liking visually as the tread pattern is no where as good AVS es100. Have heard from someone else that Pilot Preceda suits MErcedes really well , so I guess its for cushioning ride + grip . But I guess as far as grip is concerned GIII is the best among u r choices . I had used them , its wonderful but o some cars it life is really short . I never had uneven wear but it lasted only 18K.
Old 7th January 2007, 12:16   #10
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
But I guess as far as grip is concerned GIII is the best among u r choices . I had used them , its wonderful but o some cars it life is really short . I never had uneven wear but it lasted only 18K.
That tallies. If GIII has the best grip it must also be the softest of the options and so will probably wear out faster. How long the tyres last will depend a lot on how the car is maintained (alignment, balancing) plus the driving style (cornering at high speed) plus the roads plus proper tyre maintenance (tyre pressures, rotation). I am using the tough Bridgestone S322 tubeless tyres but I hit 120-140 kmph every week on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Even after 5000 kms, I could see a difference in wear in the tread between the front and back tyres, but no uneven wear. I do not expect the tyres to last more than 25-30 K despite keeping them at higher pressures (34 psi) and doing rotation and alignment/balancing every 5000 km. Also I have heard that the Expressway concrete is bad for the tyres and hard braking on such a surface can cause the tyres to develop bad spots/bulges.

Last edited by rks : 7th January 2007 at 12:21.
Old 7th January 2007, 12:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
(cornering at high speed) plus the roads plus proper tyre maintenance (tyre pressures, rotation). I am using the tough Bridgestone S322 tubeless tyres but I hit 120-140 kmph every week on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. .
Oh boy , S322 is the one am using currently . Its really bad in my opinion and after shifting from GIII back to factory spec(came shod with s322) I feel am runnig on roller skates. And I have to remind myself every now and then " Never Jam the brakes " coz its too easy to loose traction. SO I have to pump my brakes everytime during quick retardations, somewhat like manually operated ABS.

Last edited by maxbhp : 7th January 2007 at 12:42.
Old 7th January 2007, 12:56   #12
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Oh boy , S322 is the one am using currently . Its really bad in my opinion and after shifting from GIII back to factory spec(came shod with s322) I feel am runnig on roller skates. And I have to remind myself every now and then " Never Jam the brakes " coz its too easy to loose traction. SO I have to pump my brakes everytime during quick retardations, somewhat like manually operated ABS.
The S322 is a tougher tyre though. The tubeless version is grippier and seems good enough for the Santro. Another option for me is the Turanza which is available in stock size (155/70 R13) but I am hesitant in going for performance tyres because of the horrible road conditions in Pune/Mumbai and on the highway during the monsoon season.

Recently I was driving close to the divider in Pune at about 40-50 kmph and a dumper which was lifting up stones for maintenance work dumped a stone on the road just as I was passing it. My front right tyre hit the stone with a sickening thud, but there was no visible damage and the tyre shop people said no alignment check is necessary. In these sorts of situations, the S322 will be a better option as compared to the softer and grippier performance tyres.
Old 7th January 2007, 13:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tool, you need not long look beyond the ES100's. Theyre great all round tires in regards to performance, grip and tire life.
Old 7th January 2007, 13:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

How much effect does rim width have on tyre performance and longevity ?

I mean for eg, 195's mounted on 5.5 J rims vs 7J rims. (I believe 5.5 to 7 is the acceptable range for 195's)
Old 7th January 2007, 13:43   #15
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Ok i'm using GIII's for the past 34K on my Xing , it sure is gripppppppppppppppppyyyyy but its NOISY. when you hit asphalt patches on the road the tires tend to scream But Cornering and braking is of very high order. The tires almost never squeal no matter how fast u turn in

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks