Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2007, 01:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ok Rehaan I didn't wanna state this in public but here is what happened with me.

I ran the worst tyres I ever bought (GoodYear Eagle F1 GSD2) and after 30k kms or so three of them had either burst or developed major sidewall bulges so I had to request my tyre dealer to give me 2 tyres to use as an intermediate measure before I could replace all my tyres. So he gave me 175/65 R14 Bridgestone S322's which were at the rear while my 185/60 Eagle's were at the front.
I'm glad you brought this up irags.

There were two things which were clear in my mind when i wrote my 2nd post, but i failed to mention them in the post.

1st - The wider tyres should go at the rear. (unless you are trying to drag with a FWD car, or trying to get oversteer...which in this case i doubt!)

2nd - The tyres should be the same brand and model, or atleast very similar in terms of grip. The compound of the tyre will play a larger part than the width.
- In your case you were using wider (ultrasport) GSD2s (which are like glue) on the front, and narrower (OEM) S322s (which are like stone) on the rear, so i can see how you experienced oversteer @120 (also keep in mind that tyre pressure plays a significant role as well)

Let me say again, that this ofcourse is only my opinion
cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th February 2007 at 01:54.
Old 6th February 2007, 13:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
AFAIK, and I could be wrong here (YOU are the tyre dealer!), the speed ratings are based on European road conditions, and the average road temperature is calculated to be around 30 degrees centigrade. In India, our temperatures are often double that. So I'd buy a tyre that was rated atleast two grades over my requirements.
Well I'll check & get back to you on that if I'm correct then it is actually 2 grades above the required rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I'd like to add that I have driven atleast 2 cars where the rears were skinnier than the fronts. And I often play with tyre pressures if a track is involved. It comes down to your personal driving style and preferences, and whether or not you can handle oversteer. I wouldn't advise people to try it on a daily basis, though.
Ability to handle oversteer is one thing and is OK on the track but on the road daily driving a FWD car which has a tendency to voersteer can be quite lethal IMHO. Even if I can handle Oversteer I would not particularly like to drive an FWD which does it, as my daily driver. But then again that is just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I'm glad you brought this up irags.

There were two things which were clear in my mind when i wrote my 2nd post, but i failed to mention them in the post.

1st - The wider tyres should go at the rear. (unless you are trying to drag with a FWD car, or trying to get oversteer...which in this case i doubt!)

2nd - The tyres should be the same brand and model, or atleast very similar in terms of grip. The compound of the tyre will play a larger part than the width.
- In your case you were using wider (ultrasport) GSD2s (which are like glue) on the front, and narrower (OEM) S322s (which are like stone) on the rear, so i can see how you experienced oversteer @120 (also keep in mind that tyre pressure plays a significant role as well)

Let me say again, that this ofcourse is only my opinion
cya
R
Agree with you completely on this Rehaan & I know that wider tyres should almost always go in the rear under normal driving conditions. But I was in a hurry & quite pissed off at the performance of my F1's so didn't notice what the tyre guy was doing hence the error. But as I said mine was a freak case & after 3 or 4 days of this oversteer-moment I upgraded all tyres to Michelin's. I deduced the same conclusion as you stated above but of course that was after going through an experience
Old 7th February 2007, 00:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ability to handle oversteer is one thing and is OK on the track but on the road daily driving a FWD car which has a tendency to voersteer can be quite lethal IMHO. Even if I can handle Oversteer I would not particularly like to drive an FWD which does it, as my daily driver. But then again that is just my opinion.
You're absolutely correct. I was just pointing out that it is possible to set a car's tyres up for oversteer, in the rare case that someone wants that sort of handling characteristic. I wouldn't advise it on the street either.
Old 5th August 2009, 02:23   #19
BHPian

Different sizes - front and rear

i have 205/60/15 on my corolla '04. Two are new, one really old, one got about 5000km left in it.

The stock size being 195/60/15 , my current size is more than 2% bigger which is not to good and is gobbling up my torque.

Can i go in for 205/55/15 in the front and use my 205/60/15 in the back till they are used enough to change?

What issues could i face? How would the car handle ?

I cant edit the title . sounds stupid. Please change it to --Different sizes front and rear?

Last edited by paras211 : 5th August 2009 at 02:26.
Old 5th August 2009, 09:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Technically you have put the wrong size. But it wont make any major difference. The Corolla has a lot of space in the wheel arches. So, 205/.60 R15 will only give you speedo error. As long as the tyres are not touching the wheel arch, it doesnt matter.

Torque is gobbled up only if the width of the tyre becomes too much. Like putting 215 or 225. 205 is perfect.

205/55 R15 will give you a worse ride quality.
Old 5th August 2009, 23:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Paras - Unless you're varying the compounds significantly (Let's say Advan vs GIII) I don't see too many surprises springing in.
Old 6th August 2009, 00:19   #22
BHPian

ishan-- using pp2. will the rear be significantly raised ?
Old 6th August 2009, 00:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Negligible difference Paras, (123mm for the 60 profile and 113mm for the 55) so basically a difference of 10mm/1cm which is manageable.
Old 6th August 2009, 01:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have 205/60/15 on my corolla '04. Two are new, one really old, one got about 5000km left in it.

The stock size being 195/60/15 , my current size is more than 2% bigger which is not to good and is gobbling up my torque.

Can i go in for 205/55/15 in the front and use my 205/60/15 in the back till they are used enough to change?

What issues could i face? How would the car handle ?
In a straightline, you wont feel any diff, but the cornering response should improve as there will be less flexing of the front tyre.

Frankly, you maynot feel like changing this setup, once you get used to it.

Just make sure that all 4 tyres are of the same make/model.

Shan2nu
Old 6th August 2009, 01:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

trrk has been driving around with swift spec tyres in the front of his indigo marina,
detaile here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ing-tyres.html
Old 7th August 2009, 00:20   #26
BHPian

:Ok thanks guys I'll be switching in the next week or so. I'll update . I could really do with better corner manners.I crap my pants in a corner right now.
Old 7th August 2009, 01:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I crap my pants in a corner right now.
In that case I would suggest consulting a Doctor rather than better tyres....
Old 7th August 2009, 01:21   #28
BHPian

The 9th gen corolla(03)in the US has 195/65/15 as stock. Why would toyota use a smaller profile for india?
Old 30th June 2010, 13:40   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

I actually didn't have a doubt at all for options in changing my tyre. I was using Bridgstone TURANZA's 185/70/13 for my Ford IKON. My rear set were worn out badly and I planned to replace it with the same set as I was satisfied with them.

Well, the confusion occurred when I visited my tyre dealer. He suggested me go for Appolo ACCELERE which were comparatively cheaper. I looked into his tyre chart and found that there were many options for 185. 185/60/13 , 185/65/13 , or my default 185/70/13 . I will be using these new set for my front and swapping the back tyres with the ones already upfront. by doing this I will get far more grip upfront, which I guess is good.

So for the front set, which one should I choose???... I prefer handling over comfort, so I guess 185/60/13 will do good??... but then what adverse affects will it make??.. Will the GC reduced drastically?..

Experts, please help.
Old 30th June 2010, 15:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

@dhanushs: I think you should stick to the same size all around.
185/65 all around, or 185/70 all around.
Also, it is advisable to put the better tyres in the rear, as I believe that it helps with the braking, as rear brakes are usually weaker than the ones in front.
Do correct me if I am wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks