Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

My choices are 5 wheels, unless you are upgrading the rimsize big-time which means you can't fit the spare in the wheel well.

5 wheels make sense if you do lots of highways runs especially through areas where Tubeless repair shops are not present. But again the spare has to fit in the well.

4 wheels if you only drive within the city & have access to good tyre repair shops nearby.

Another option would be to buy 4 wheels & keep a portable tyre inflator with you which can help in the case of a tubeless tyre suffering a small puncture. But if you tear a sidewall or something then you're in trouble!
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought a set of 4 as the wheels i upsized were of 17" ..... and running on 225/45 and my stock 15" rimz were on 205/60 .... it gets adjusted and ne way i use that tyre only during a punctre and repair the 17" one and place it back again .......... and ne way the 17" rim would not have fit in the boot .....

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd February 2007 at 17:57.
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

When I decided to go in for alloys for my esteem, I was very clear right from the beginning that I wanted 5 and not 4. The fifth one was not a problem in my case as I was not upsizing and also the dealer offered a discount if I took 5 instead of 4
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:52   #19
BHPian

Well I feel it's a pure waste of dough for something that ends up in the trunk or on the underbelly.In fact I advise all scorpio owners to go in for 4 wheels.And with so many brands having virtually the same designs getting a spare is definetely not going to be a pain.Go to any alloy stockist and check out teh catalogs,hi-join,plati,neo,SM,F1,XXO1 they all have similiar designs with diff logos.Got a set with 195R14's for my getz today,set of 4
Old 22nd February 2007, 23:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Go to any alloy stockist and check out teh catalogs,hi-join,plati,neo,SM,F1,XXO1 they all have similiar designs with diff logos.
Naah. Not at all. For instance, try to find a pair similar to the ones on my OHC.

Catalogues are useless, one should compare with whats available in stock.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:15   #21
BHPian

The problem arises only if one of the 4 alloy gets damaged and if one is not able to get a substitute for it !! in terms of design !!
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

NEVER EVER buy tyres & Rims/Wheel Discs in 4.
ALWAYS buy a set of 5 tyres & Rims/Wheel Discs.

If the spare is not FULL-SIZE, imagine a Front Wheel puncture.
The Steering will get disbalanced and the vehicle will pull to one side.

In case for of the Driven Wheels (FWD or RWD) it will grossly mismatch wheel speed while turning.

It will aggravate tyre wear and strain the axles and differentials.

Regards,

Arka
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:43   #23
BHPian

Use of spare wheel is only till the next repair shop!.

And for the model existance, buy Indian ones ( like Aura) they never vanish like chinky models.
Old 23rd February 2007, 13:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would not get paranoid about a 5th wheel. Of course i do not have a super upsize also. depends on the mismatch.
Old 23rd February 2007, 13:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Got a set of 5 14-inch alloys wheels. Am in the market for new 15-inch shoes. All the dealers insist on a pair of 4.
Old 23rd February 2007, 13:59   #26
Team-BHP Support

In my Zen I had opted for 5 BSA rims. I had faltered with the rim widths (5.5j) since I did not know T-Bhp then. I would still go for 5 new rims if I were to upgrade my alloys.
Old 23rd February 2007, 15:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
NEVER EVER buy tyres & Rims/Wheel Discs in 4.
ALWAYS buy a set of 5 tyres & Rims/Wheel Discs.
Please give supporting logic. CapsLock alone doesn't add weight to argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c
If the spare is not FULL-SIZE, imagine a Front Wheel puncture.The Steering will get disbalanced and the vehicle will pull to one side.
In case you are considering driving on the Spare which is not full size, vehicle may be not properly balanced anyways. We are NOT suggesting driving on the spare .. just saying you may not need to use it .. if you do then get it fixed ASAP. I'm sure a second puncture while one is going to get the first fixed is highly unlikely.

In case you are saying that I'm driving with normal tires, how does it matter what I have in the boot .. car will anyways pull to one side in case of FWD puncture irrespective of tire size !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c
In case for of the Driven Wheels (FWD or RWD) it will grossly mismatch wheel speed while turning.

It will aggravate tyre wear and strain the axles and differentials.
Chill with the paranoa Everyone has driven on a puncture some time or the other - nothing happens except to the tire.
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

FULL-SIZE Spare Tyre

Hi Guys,

Nothing MUCH will happen if you are driving around in the city.

My ARGUEMENT is -

1)These problems get aggravated on HIGHWAYS, at NIGHT and OTR Situations, where you may have to drive a considerable distance "to the puncture shop"

2)If you have a set of 5 tyres - THE 5 TYRE ROTATION PATTERN will increase the life of each tyre because each is rested (spare).

3) Personally I prefer my Tyres to be seated and unseated by the Machine, than by using the Hammer and Pry Bar........On a Alloy....it will be come a Testimonial, a Slam Book ....after a profusely sweating "punchur" mechanic..has displayed his wrestling skill, his grasp of the laws of PHYSICS and, good ol' "Maar Hathoda....Maar"......hopefully; not withstanding my PARANOIA we should be able to find a TYRE Seating machine in every Indian Village or the National Highways, that too at Night.

Regards,

Arka

PS - PENNY WISE, POUND FOOLISH!!!
Old 23rd February 2007, 21:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Team BHP to the rescue again :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
See the following link on the dangers of using aged tyres: Aged Tyres
Getting a new car next week...Heard some ridiculous figures being offered for
exhange of brand new tyre + oem discs (900rs etc) so I had the brilliant idea of keeping back all tyres and rims !!! Lol.

Been pondering on whether retaining *one* as spare is sensible or not
(considering Im going from 165/80/R14 to 205/55/R15).

After having read RKS's link I guess keeping a spare and not utilizing is futile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
best plan would be to use the stock rim with a used second-hand tyre as spare.
Brilliant !! I could look for another vehicles OEM 15" rim and source a used tyre of the same profile to solve my problems..... !
Old 23rd February 2007, 23:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys this might sound stupid but it helps. Carry a spare tube along in the trunk and in case if you feel stranded you can put this tube in the tubeless tyre. So what say issue resolved?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks