Traditional trend of regular wheels & taller profile tyres 491 84.51%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 12:53   #106
BHPian

Re: Tall tyres & regular wheels versus low-profile tyres & large wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
So, I am in a dilemma about upsizing tyres on XUV300 W8O which currently has 215/55 R17 on 6.5J alloys. Already have had an incident of tyre burst due to bad roads and absolutely not a fan of lower profiles tyres.

The 6.5J rim leaves absolutely no room for upsizing but anyway all I want to do is increase the sidewall height. The only possible size seems to be a downsize to 205/60 R17 with a 1.42% difference. The other option 215/60 R17 has a 3.22% difference.

Has anyone driven with such difference in tyre upsize? Do suspension systems and electronics get affected due to this change in circumference?

It seems both of these sizes vary the contact patch size significantly, one skewed in vertical direction and another horizontal. How much does this matter to the car suspension & electronics?
Upto 2% upsize will not create any issues. Beyond 3% you may need to look for feedback from people who have done the same.
Anothe option is to drop down to 16" wheels and go for 205/65 R16. But costs will be more. And availability of tyres will need to be checked.
Old 19th September 2021, 13:04   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
I think the trend has now gotten a little out of hand.

That creta, in particular is hideous. And that Thar with 24 inchers.
Just by looking at those images I can "feel" the damage. Also those tiny brakes look so funny!

I truly applaud people who run their cars on low profile tires wherelse I am worried even with the 15 inch wheel and high profile tires when going over less than normal road undulations!
Old 19th September 2021, 14:52   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
I truly applaud people who run their cars on low profile tires ...
Why? It is just a matter of personal taste plus putting the wheels at greater risk of damage. It is their personal choice.

It is not my choice, and never would be, even if I was able to drive car that might be expected to "sport" such things. I don't like the aesthetics, and I don't think it it is practical when bad, broken roads are part of one's daily drive. And, although my parking is not bad, any mistakes may mean permanent damage to alloys.

I guess I must have posted the same in this thread some time back. I haven't changed my mind at all! When replacing my old tyres recently, I wanted more rubber between me and the road (and a touch more ground clearance). The tyre guy, though, was really really reluctant to sell and fit that for me. Despite knowing members here who had done this up-size with zero problems, I let him talk me out of it. <I'm stupid>
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 15:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

I believe if the car manufacturer fits tyres with big sidewalls, there must be a reason for it, perhaps the suspension set up works best with such tyres. I will not prefer to change that. If on the other hand the car comes with factory fitted low profile tyres, I would prefer not to disturb that too.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 17:00   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why? It is just a matter of personal taste plus putting the wheels at greater risk of damage. It is their personal choice....I let him talk me out of it. <I'm stupid>
Hey man! Sorry if you felt like that but I wasn't being sarcastic. I truly, honestly applaud them that they are able to drive it, maintain it and live with its pros and drawbacks wherelse I get worried about it even when driving my high profile tyred car. Cheers!

P.S. Also sorry that I LOLed on "having more rubber between me and the road."

Last edited by RavSam : 19th September 2021 at 17:02.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 00:02   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Hey man! Sorry if you felt like that but I wasn't being sarcastic. I truly, honestly applaud them that they are able to drive it, maintain it and live with its pros and drawbacks wherelse I get worried about it even when driving my high profile tyred car. Cheers!
Not a problem. We'll file it under each to their own

Quote:
P.S. Also sorry that I LOLed on "having more rubber between me and the road."
Ha Ha... you're very welcome.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 07:39   #112
Senior - BHPian

Just came across this video on YouTube, live demo of the issue being discussed although in an off road setting.

Credits to Providers : start from 11:45

Last edited by shancz : 21st September 2021 at 07:40. Reason: compacted
Old 21st October 2021, 22:35   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Something on the same lines made by consumer reports. One can see where the tire is getting pinched.

Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 12:46   #114
BHPian

It depends (Even though I did vote for high profile tyres and smaller rims). My few cents here.

1. In India, even the best of the best roads are a little far from perfection compared to other countries. One of the primary reasons I see is the limited/lack of engineering required (As it involves a lot of money). Let alone bad roads. Moreover in India, Potholes are not just limited to bad roads/country roads. Even the highways and city roads have a limited spread of these natural speed breakers.

2. Having said that, today's roads are 100 times better than it was 10-20-30 years back.
And when buying/modifying a car, not everyone is bothered about the ride and comfort quality. And there are a growing number of pure enthusiasts who have the privilege of owning additional cars exclusive for driving pleasure and performance.

3. It also depends on what is the increase in upsizing. When it is just 1 upsize, the differences in the so-called negative aspects are not so significant which can be taken care of by being a little cautious when driving.

4. I strongly feel that stock tyres are similar to stock engine specs. It is more than enough for our Indian conditions. But enthusiasts like me always find the stock specs not enough and always find ways and means to upgrade/upsize.

There is no right or wrong when the upsizing is done appropriately. When it is done right for the right vehicle for the right use case, it definitely puts a smiling face on me.
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:26   #115
Senior - BHPian

The traditional taller tyres will be better suited to protect the rims from damage. These help absorb the impact better, especially with the unexpected pothole.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 23:11   #116
BHPian

Spent 1 lakh rupees so far on tyre and wheels due to low profile tyres. A BIG NO for low profile stupidity that is forced on car buyers. Car manufacturers should offer higher sidewall as standard and recommeded and upgrade should be optional for keen customers. I have only done 61000Km in two and a half years so far and tyre expenses are double the maintenance cost of the car. You cant pick and use/sell American/European/Non Indian stuff in India
Old 14th August 2022, 08:09   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

How do you take your German around the Goan beaches? You get it some nice heels!

Tall tyres & regular wheels versus low-profile tyres & large wheels-20220813_151331.jpg

Tall tyres & regular wheels versus low-profile tyres & large wheels-20220813_151315.jpg
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 11:04   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
Spent 1 lakh rupees so far on tyre and wheels due to low profile tyres. A BIG NO for low profile stupidity that is forced on car buyers. Car manufacturers should offer higher sidewall as standard and recommeded and upgrade should be optional for keen customers. I have only done 61000Km in two and a half years so far and tyre expenses are double the maintenance cost of the car. You cant pick and use/sell American/European/Non Indian stuff in India
Can you give some details of the vehicle and tyre size on which you faced these persistent issues?
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 12:02   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Can you give some details of the vehicle and tyre size on which you faced these persistent issues?
My car is Skoda Octavia 2019 model. Use recommend tyre size of 205/55/R16.

The 55 size is simply not suitable for Indian roads. I’ve had 1 tyre bulge, 2 tyre bursts and a sidewall puncture. Lately I good goodyear assurance triple max and have not had any incidents in last 15000 KM
Old 14th August 2022, 13:36   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
My car is Skoda Octavia 2019 model. Use recommend tyre size of 205/55/R16.

The 55 size is simply not suitable for Indian roads. I’ve had 1 tyre bulge, 2 tyre bursts and a sidewall puncture. Lately I good goodyear assurance triple max and have not had any incidents in last 15000 KM
If I remember right the stock tyres were GY Eagle NCT5s. Did you upsize to 205/60R16 on the triplemax or was it the same 205/55s?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks