Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 16:31   #61
BHPian

Re: Govt. imposes severe restrictions on tyre imports

The stupidity of this rule is unbelievable.

Awaiting to see when our hon'ble PM's fleet of armoured Range Rovers and BMWs need a tyre change (more so the special run flats in keeping with security protocol) whether MRF or Ceat or Apollo is supplying it.
Ash_vtec is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 18:46   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
fleet of armoured Range Rovers and BMWs need a tyre change (more so the special run flats in keeping with security protocol).
All such imports are cleared at Zero customs/ taxes. Same for consulate vehicles. So, unless we have a petrolhead minister owning any of these European brands, no one will realize problems of a commoner.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd November 2020 at 23:59. Reason: Typo.
Turbanator is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 10:17   #63
BHPian

As I understand, the imposition to meet BIS standards for imports is not only for tyres but for all goods. We had faced this while importing laptops for office earlier this year. If I, the end user directly buys the tyres or any other goods from abroad and the seller ships them to me, is the insistence on BIS compliance still applicable? Can I get it customs cleared stating that it is for personal use?
Old 21st November 2020, 14:15   #64
BHPian

Re: Ongoing Tyre crisis in the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Not sure about north, but down south, even with regular sizes (15 and 16) its getting difficult to obtain from brands like Michelin/ Pirelli. Tried in vain for R16 Michelins and then ended up with the newer Conti ultracontact UC6.

Please do share your review on the UC6.I am planning it for my vehicle.
It would be much appreciated.
Old 21st November 2020, 16:31   #65
BHPian

I started a thread in TeamBhp a few weeks ago to change the Tyres for My Dzire (185/65 R15). As per the suggestions, I was actually going to buy Michellin XM2.

But today when I went to enquire about the same in Navi Mumbai, all the shops said the same thing that Michellin XM2 are not available and not sure when they will come. Its really sad to see this.

The only options are Bridgestone B250, Ceat SecuraDrive, Continental CC5, Bridgestone Ecopia and Falken Sincera.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for a tyre which can be Abuse-Friendly but also not bad for comfort and handling.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Sounak04 : 21st November 2020 at 16:46.
Old 21st November 2020, 17:02   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
I started a thread in TeamBhp a few weeks ago to change the Tyres for My Dzire (185/65 R15). As per the suggestions, I was actually going to buy Michellin XM2.

But today when I went to enquire about the same in Navi Mumbai, all the shops said the same thing that Michellin XM2 are not available and not sure when they will come. Its really sad to see this.

The only options are Bridgestone B250, Ceat SecuraDrive, Continental CC5, Bridgestone Ecopia and Falken Sincera.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for a tyre which can be Abuse-Friendly but also not bad for comfort and handling.

Thank you in advance
Unable to source Michelins, I settled for Yokohama earth1s. They are said to be abuse friendly and are much softer than Indian brands but unsure of how they stack up with international brands. I have barely had these for 5 days and have only done about 200kms so cannot comment on the performance or quality of these but a fellow bhpian who has put in some miles on Earth1s has only good things to say of it.

Last edited by revintup : 21st November 2020 at 17:04.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 18:14   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I have observed that Falkens are available readily and have heard that they are good for what they offer.
I have seen them selling like hot cakes.
Any reviews would be appreciated.
I had gotten them installed in my Cruze, i only intended to keep the car for another 1 or 2 years at max at that point, i was getting a great deal on Falkens at that point, they were 1 year old and the price was almost half of Michelin Primacy LC they were replacing, so i went with them.

Those tyres came in as such a pleasant surprise, they were atleast 80-85% as good as my Primacy LCs and at much lower cost, they were very silent and grip levels were better than the Michelins, they used a harder compound i suppose and were much less prone to punctures than Michellins, i ended up using them for 40,000 kms with atleast 10-15k Kms life left in them. My experience overall was very good with Falkens but i was apprehensive initially since the dealer was pushing them hard, i naturally assumed there is something wrong with them.

P.S Coming to the actual thread topic, well this is indeed sad if Michelins and Yokohamas are not available in the future, i have had great experiences with both these brands and competition is always good, lets hope the license raj theory being speculated gets proven wrong.

Having said that i personally also feel that local manufacturers have upped their game significantly, i recently purchased Appolo tyres for my City, again cost is the reason i went for them, would have gone with Michellins otherwise as i'am not sure how long i will be keeping the City.
They also, like Falkens i mentioned are a complete surprise package, they have decent grip levels but more importantly are splendidly comfortable, they are extremely quiet as well, i have absolutely no complaints especially considering i got them at dirt cheap prices and are recently manufactured as well, i honestly would have been satisfied had they been even 50% as good as they are considering the price i paid, but they are really amazing, they remind me of Primacy LCs i had in my Cruze and that is saying a lot, those were excellent tyres.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 21st November 2020 at 18:25.
Rocketscience is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 18:25   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Unable to source Michelins, I settled for Yokohama earth1s. They are said to be abuse friendly and are much softer than Indian brands but unsure of how they stack up with international brands. I have barely had these for 5 days and have only done about 200kms so cannot comment on the performance or quality of these but a fellow bhpian who has put in some miles on Earth1s has only good things to say of it.
Enquired about Yokohamas as well. Apparently, they have a soft compound as per the dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
I had gotten them installed in my Cruze, i only intended to keep the car for another 1 or 2 years at max at that point, i was getting a great deal on Falkens at that point, they were 1 year old and the price was almost half of Michelin Primacy LC they were replacing, so i went with them.

Those tyres came in as such a pleasant surprise, they were atleast 80-85% as good as my Primacy LCs and at much lower cost, they were very silent and grip levels were better than the Michelins, they used a harder compound i suppose and were much less prone to punctures than Michellins, i ended up using them for 40,000 kms with atleast 10-15k Kms life left in them. My experience overall was very good with Falkens but i was apprehensive initially since the dealer was pushing them hard, i naturally assumed there is something wrong with them.
Even the dealers whom I visited were really pushing hard for Falkens. Dont know why. Maybe they earn good commission on them or maybe Falkens are really that good.

But as per your review, Falkens really looks good. Falkens are actually slightly more expensive than Continental CC5 and quite a bit more expensive than Goodyear but quite cheaper as compared to Bridgestone B250
Sounak04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 18:27   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Those tyres came in as such a pleasant surprise
This one line says it all especially from someone coming from Michelin.
I would definitely give them a try .
My Fufa is a tyre dealer himself and he sells it to most of the customers. I guess now I know the reason why.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 12:33   #70

I just got the tyres of my S Class changed two days ago from the dealership. I had to settle for MO Continental ContiSportContact 5 (same as the OEM) as the tyres that were available in couple of other brands were a year or two old.

I tried hard to get Michelin Pilot Sport 4 series, but in vain. Only 4 tyres of Pirelli P Zero were available from my trusted dealership, but were almost 15 months old.

The continental tyres that I got from the dealership are just a couple of months old and have ISI certification.

I was shown the stockpile of tyres at the dealership, arranged and kept it in racks beautifully. All of them were continental and were plenty in stock for all the Mercedes models. Even they mentioned the same issue with tyre imports with no signs of resolution in the near future.

P.S.: Please take care of the tyres what you have right now or try to purchase new ones (if you’re due for change in the near future) as soon as possible before the stocks run out and maintain them at optimum conditions till you get them switched.
Old 22nd November 2020, 23:02   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Please do share your review on the UC6.I am planning it for my vehicle.
It would be much appreciated.
Got the Conti ultracontact UC6 for my Dad's i20 in the 195/55 R16 size. My personal GT TSI used the Michellin primacy ST and i was greatly satisfied with them. So tried sourcing the same for the i20 too, but in vain. As far as UC6 is considered, one advantage was that the tyre was brand new and hardly 3 weeks old when i got it in end October. Drove it for very few hundred KMs, so can't give proper feedback. But in the limited driving, i felt it is as good as the Michelin primacy ST, if not better. The UC6 seems to be Conti's newer comfort oriented premium tyre and it has extremely low road noise and seems to have a softer compound. Can't comment on longevity as its newly launched and have to wait and see.

Last edited by drpudhi : 22nd November 2020 at 23:06.
drpudhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 23:40   #72
BHPian

I was in the market for replacing all four of my tyres last month for my Civic -- 195 65 R15. I was considering Yokohama BluEarths, but could only get early 2019 or older tyres; some dealers weren't even willing to tell me how old the stocks were and had statements like age is only a number I was insistent on either getting 2020 or late 2019 manufactured tyres, since I end up keeping my tyres for 4-5 years due to relatively low running.

I found a pretty prominent dealer in Hyderabad who had late 2019 Goodyears, so I went. For this size, every other tyre (Michelins, Contis, Yokos), he only had 2018 manufactured ones. Same story with another dealer.

Ultimately, went with the Goodyear Assurance TripleMax, even though they are somewhat harder compound, and also that with soft compound ones, even if one were to claim warranty, no replacement tyres might be available. Also, a fellow BHPian had it on his Civic and was happy with it. Even with the Goodyears, two were June 2019 and the other two were Dec 2019 manufactured, which was a bit old for my taste.

Last edited by coolvenk : 22nd November 2020 at 23:42.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:51   #73

I too am having similar issues. My BRV needs Michelin 195/ 60 R16 tyres. These are not available in my vicinity in Navi Mumbai.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:29   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone know what is the holdup now?

I believe the DGFT has granted licenses to the OEMs to import their requirements.
https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...434659084.html

From personal experience, OEMs will not service the aftermarket (if at all), and they will sell only to their vehicle buyers at MRP and that too after meeting their own requirements with an ample buffer.

Saw this too which seems to further tighten imports: https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscr...d-dgft/1950145

Are tyre importers (aftermarket) not wanting to apply for licenses at all, and hoping for the storm to blow over? Or are there really onerous requirements in the application process?

Can anyone comment please?
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:40   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Was thinking of replacing my car's tyres with the Michelin P4ST. The dealer Lokmanya Auto in Pune told me stocks have not been imported since Apr and there's no clarity on when supplies will resume. He has suggested Yokohama instead of Michelin. Oh well, I'll have to decide.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks