Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2021, 22:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Sidewall crack appears on Yokohama Earth-1 within 1 year; company says not covered under warrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I understand Goodyear offers a 2-year unconditional replacement warranty for their Assurance Triplemax brand of tyres, for any kind of damage - including sidewall cuts & bulges.
Yes, I got 2 of my tyres replaced (1 for Bulge and another for sidewall puncture) in a span of 3 months
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 22:37   #17

Re: Sidewall crack appears on Yokohama Earth-1 within 1 year; company says not covered under warrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Yes, I got 2 of my tyres replaced (1 for Bulge and another for sidewall puncture) in a span of 3 months
I was denied as the rep from goodyear concluded after a week that the damage occurred due to insufficient tyre pressure and it was my fault, i was running on the spare tyre all this time and was on a hectic schedule, hence didn’t find wasting another week or two for the warranty and moved on with a new tyre
Old 26th May 2021, 22:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaroop Gowda View Post
I was denied as the rep from goodyear concluded after a week that the damage occurred due to insufficient tyre pressure and it was my fault, i was running on the spare tyre all this time and was on a hectic schedule, hence didn’t find wasting another week or two for the warranty and moved on with a new tyre
Well, that is strange and I would suggest pursuing it again.
What is the point of having an unconditional warranty if every time the customer would be put at fault. In my case, the bulge issue was replaced without any questions and the tyre cut was right at the edge where the sidewall and the flat surface meets so it could not be repaired and hence was replaced without any questions.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 23:04   #19

Quote:
Well, that is strange and I would suggest pursuing it again.
What is the point of having an unconditional warranty if every time the customer would be put at fault. In my case, the bulge issue was replaced without any questions and the tyre cut was right at the edge where the sidewall and the flat surface meets so it could not be repaired and hence was replaced without any questions.
The vw sa was also not too encouraging and told me that I wouldn’t get the replacement, if i had got them through a tyre dealer, he would’ve been supportive. I guess it all depends on the dealer and representative relationship, btw where did you get your tyres from ?
Old 26th May 2021, 23:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaroop Gowda View Post
The vw sa was also not too encouraging and told me that I wouldn’t get the replacement, if i had got them through a tyre dealer, he would’ve been supportive. I guess it all depends on the dealer and representative relationship, btw where did you get your tyres from ?
Ok so looks like i forgot to mention that i got the tyres registered as a retail purchase although they are oem tyres.I had a friend who is a tyre dealer and he registered the tyres for me.I got the same response from the hyundai dealer when i reported the issue to him.They are least bothered about replacement.Its not worth their effort i guess.I thought your tyres are the ones you replaced after purchase.
Dealers are more responsive than svc center folks.
Old 27th May 2021, 07:37   #21

Quote:
Ok so looks like i forgot to mention that i got the tyres registered as a retail purchase although they are oem tyres.I had a friend who is a tyre dealer and he registered the tyres for me.I got the same response from the hyundai dealer when i reported the issue to him.They are least bothered about replacement.Its not worth their effort i guess.I thought your tyres are the ones you replaced after purchase.
Dealers are more responsive than svc center folks.
Maybe the registration through your friend played a major role in your case as the tyre dealers generally maintain a good relationship with the representatives and customers are important to them, this is not the case with asc as they are least bothered about tyres.
Swaroop Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 09:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
lled
But to my surprise, when I called up the rep, he blatantly denied the claim saying that sidewall cuts are not covered under the warranty.
I told him that this is not what the dealer has told me & that this tyre definitely has an unconditional warranty. But he didn’t budge.

I called back the dealer, and he too is denying the claim now saying that there was some misunderstanding & that they have commenced the unconditional warranty only 2 months after I purchased the tyre.
Ive had a similar issue with my Pirelli P7. There was a sidewall bulge and uneven wear in patches on the surface within few months of the purchase. It was made clear by the store and company that if any manufacturing defect, they will replace the tyre with a prorated value. It took a lot of effort in terms of visits to the store for inspection by the company representatives and continous follow up through calls and mails, to get them replace the tyre.

My advice would be to build a relationship with those guys and request for a replacement tyre. Im sure, they will accomodate your request as a goodwill.
varunanb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 10:36   #23
BANNED

I sent this thread to my dealer where I purchased the Yokohama Earth-1 from. He said it all depends on how well the tyre dealer has relations with the Yokohama management in your region. Generally, the sale date is what matters along with the unique registration number that you get when the dealer registers them after purchase.

Quote:
On a side note, I mentioned to the dealer that my car is lying idle for over 4 weeks now and no way I am using it with mismatched tire specs; to which his response was. "Why don't you patch the sidewall and use it for a few days?" Frankly speaking, I was short of words beyond this.
I'll say don't let 'Flat Spots' develop as that will be another reason for Yokohama guys to reject since it is mentioned in Yokohama's warranty policy.

I remembered my fiasco with MRF guys when I had purchased the ZLO (195/60 R15) during my Swift ownership. Had got justice after I posted in my ownership review where I got all the tyres replaced under warranty. Immediately had exchanged them for Michelin XM2's. Had vowed no more MRF for life.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 11:28   #24
BHPian

I’ve had sidewall cracks and bulge on 2 of my 4 tyres on the Civic in 2017-2018. Got one replaced under warranty and had to pay 50% for the other one. The tyres are great but perhaps our road conditions are over powering. Ask for a written report from the Company, most dealers don’t even get the tyre inspected by the company and just say that the claim is rejected
Pashin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 13:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Could you’ll please share your thoughts on this as to how should I take this forward now?
I would do the following if I were you:

1. Change the tires and keep using the car. No point wasting time over tires and keeping the car out-of-use. The warranty discussion can go on in parallel.
2. Change the dealer as they seem to be either ill-informed or outright dishonest
3. Lesson learnt - Move on
4. Post some pics as your story is only half complete without the pictures.

Cheers,
Karthik
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 13:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a single long crack on my Geolandar AT-S G015. It is a cut that does not indicate hitting something at speed - the line is straight, and then progressively becomes smaller.

The Yoko technician did check it and said it is not a manufacturing defect.

Apparently, the company only looks at the case if the cracks are multiple hairline, and spread all over the side-wall. ANything less is considered a damage during use.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 16:17   #27
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Earth -1 tyres seem to be directed more at the value conscious end of the market, built to a price and competing with regular Janata tyres from other brands and from my experience they get hard and very noisy after a few years (2~3) They are however long lasting.
From my experience the tyre starts deteriorating fast and ride quality goes downhill. High speed braking and wet braking also got poor. Initial performance is very good but that doesn’t last.
Very informed answer. Can you suggest which tyres have worked best for you from your experience.
Old 27th May 2021, 19:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Very informed answer. Can you suggest which tyres have worked best for you from your experience.
Michelin XM2, best all round performance I have seen for the price, not the cheapest though worth the extra paid over time.
Old 27th May 2021, 20:26   #29
BHPian

Update:

Got an update in the evening from the Yoko representative & the dealer, that the company has considered this as a 'special case' and is accommodating the warranty. The break-up of the warranty claim is as under,

1. 50% - company will bear the cost
2. 30% - the dealer will bear
3. 20% - is what I will have to pay as per the pro-rata policy.

Before the final call, I had called up the dealer in the afternoon; and he mentioned that company was only ready to pay for the 50% of the cost and that the remaining cost has to be borne by the dealer as the company was firm on their policy.
He was a bit hesitant to bear the remaining cost and mentioned that he will try to speak to some seniors to see if they can manage something more. However, seems like the company didn't budge.

So finally, the settlement is as mentioned above.

Dealer said that he will receiving a fresh lot maybe by tomorrow, post that I will go for the replacement.

I would like to express my sincere gratitude towards the T-BHP community for helping me out through this issue. Thanks a lot guys for taking out time to reply to my problem. I am 100% sure that this thread is what helped to speed up the process or rather get me the due warranty. I also got an indirect hint that the company officials kept a close watch on this thread.

I would also like to appreciate Yokohama India & the dealer alike. Mistakes / goof ups do happen, but it's examples like these that win you the trust of the customer.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 27th May 2021 at 20:43.
ashvek3141 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 21:03   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Got an update in the evening from the Yoko representative & the dealer, that the company has considered this as a 'special case' and is accommodating the warranty.

Great update, as expected! All's well that ends well. 20% to be borne by you is any day better than 100%. When will the replacement tyre be given to you?

Be careful with the rest of the tyres hereon.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th May 2021 at 21:06.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks