Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2007, 01:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Are you by any chance a Rally Driver / Enthusiast??..You missed taking the cars in Rivers and streams bro..
And after driving that way.. Dude they will be noisy..
Godfather

The infamous S322 & S248 would be terribly noisy even without off roading them. They are made of hard rubber to supposedly give them more life which supposedly we indians want (according to Bridgestone), which supposedly a great tyre company like bridgestone thinks & we lap em up just like that. How nice !!!
Old 12th May 2007, 01:34   #32
BHPian

once in a while thing

Quote:
Are you by any chance a Rally Driver / Enthusiast??..You missed taking the cars in Rivers and streams bro..
And after driving that way.. Dude they will be noisy..

Godfather
Not sure if you have seen some state highways in A.P. The road looks pretty good for a few KMs and suddenly a speed breaker appears from no where. You go through a curve to find you are right in front of a pot hole. You need some good handling and braking to drive on these roads. Another interesting thing, have you guys seen speed breaking reverse humps. One can not even see them until one gets close by.

I am not a rally driver, I do not regularly do 150 KMPH. I had a good straight road so was checking out the car. W.r.t my comment on noise, its only on some kind of roads.
Old 12th May 2007, 01:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Not sure if you have seen some state highways in A.P. The road looks pretty good for a few KMs and suddenly a speed breaker appears from no where. You go through a curve to find you are right in front of a pot hole. You need some good handling and braking to drive on these roads. Another interesting thing, have you guys seen speed breaking reverse humps. One can not even see them until one gets close by.
No offence ment bro.. Also now its clear to me as to why 50% of rally drivers are from Andhra.. .

Godfather
Old 12th May 2007, 01:54   #34
BHPian

Interesting...

Quote:
No offence ment bro.. Also now its clear to me as to why 50% of rally drivers are from Andhra.. .

Godfather
If you can call that a sport, out beloved CM can claim the govt is encouraging and creating right conditions for sports . BTW many people on the forum do not have good experience with S322 or what ?
Old 12th May 2007, 02:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can call that a sport, out beloved CM can claim the govt is encouraging and creating right conditions for sports .
.. Good one there..

Quote:
BTW many people on the forum do not have good experience with S322 or what ?
I dont think so.. If you go through the threads on this Forum the favourite tire of TBHP should be Michelins and Neovas..

Godfather
Old 12th May 2007, 07:32   #36
BHPian

You should also have a look at the YOKOHAMA es-100's..i have them on my baleno and have given me no reason to complain whatsoever.....
Old 12th May 2007, 07:34   #37
BHPian

has anybody used RE-88 on a fiat adventure ? Is it harder than stock pirellis ?
Old 12th May 2007, 10:19   #38
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
i wanna talk on behalf of people who don't want a out and out performance tyre but want a tyre which you could say is a step below in performance but a good mix of other qualities... namely...

1. tyre road noise inside the car cabin. ( since performance tyres tend to be noisy )

2. fuel econony. ( since performance tyres decrease fuel economy )

3. softer ride. ( since performance tyres tend to be harder )

4. longer tyre life. ( since performance tyres tend to have a shorter shelflife )

5. also a performance level a notch below ( you can say next best or second in line to performance tyres ) along with the above qualities....
Firstly regarding 3., performance tyres tend to be softer in order to give better grip. This makes them wear out faster than the all-season tyres like Bridgestone S322 (tubeless), and also makes them vulnerable on pothole-ridden roads; if you hit a large pothole at 60+ kmph (a likely scenario e.g. on the Mumbai-Pune route in the monsoon season) a Michelin is more likely to be subject to tears/sidewall damage than an S322.

Secondly you have not made clear which vehicle you are driving and the kind of roads that you will encounter. If you are going to be mainly confined to city driving it makes no sense to go for performance tyres. And if your vehicle is relatively slow like Santro/Alto (max. speed about 150 kmph) then an S-rated (max. speed 180 kmph) all-season tyre like S322 (tubeless) is adequate; you could go for T-rated tyres (max. speed 190 kmph) if you are worried. I agree that tubed S322 tyres are bad for highway driving -- they make an awful lot of noise on fast cornering and do not grip as well as the tubeless version. I have no comments on the noise factor when comparing S322 (tubeless) with performance tyres, which I have not used so far; I have not found the noise from S322 (tubeless) to be disturbing.

All I can say is that my experience with S322(tubeless) with 15000 kms of driving, at least 40% of which is at high speeds (100-150 kmph) on the Pune-Mumbai route, has been really good. The Expressway concrete is bad for tyres and I have braked hard on this surface at least 5-6 times so far; this supposedly is the cause of the bulges and flat spots which can appear later on. So far the tyres have withstood the abuse very well with no hint of any damage, and my estimate is that these tyres will last for about 35-40 K kms, which is quite good for my rough use. They grip more than adequately for my car, even under fast cornering. The tough test is ahead when the monsoons start in June. All-season tyres are optimized to give reasonable performance in all kinds of weather and on bad roads. This is what you have to keep in mind when you select your tyres.

I will not talk about other tyres as per your request, since I do not have any experience with them.
Old 12th May 2007, 21:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
how is ducaro from goodyear, any experience to share ?
the ducaro is a pretty good tyre my cousin's swift runs on ducaro no noise,ride comfort is excellent you wont feel a thing when you hit potholes but ducaro's are bad in wet conditions you have to be extra careful other than that i would give it 7/10
Old 12th May 2007, 23:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think so.. If you go through the threads on this Forum the favourite tire of TBHP should be Michelins and Neovas..

Godfather
Hardly two cars have Neovas here i guess a baleno n a Impreza WRX.
Old 12th May 2007, 23:56   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
the ducaro is a pretty good tyre my cousin's swift runs on ducaro no noise,ride comfort is excellent you wont feel a thing when you hit potholes but ducaro's are bad in wet conditions you have to be extra careful other than that i would give it 7/10
I have a DUCARO, which is my spare wheel. Got it because all 185/65 at that time were directional.
I used it once for an extended period of time. It absorbs bumps better, but is not as good as the potenza GIII in wet conditions. Noise is less than the potenza definitely.
Old 13th May 2007, 00:07   #42
BHPian

Is potenza better or as good as ducaro as far as ride comfort and longevity is concerned.

Last edited by swathyd : 13th May 2007 at 00:18.
Old 13th May 2007, 00:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have a DUCARO, which is my spare wheel. Got it because all 185/65 at that time were directional.
U had 185/60 GIIIs right?

Quote:
Is potenza better or as good as ducaro as far as ride comfort and longevity is concerned.
The comfort level in Ducaro might be better but GIIIs cannot be termed as bad comfort wise either....
Life of a tyre depends on various factors....If taken care properly GIIIs can easily last 35k Kms minimum..

Last edited by kpzen : 13th May 2007 at 00:35.
Old 13th May 2007, 00:44   #44
BHPian

I ant go for g3 and only for bridge re 88, so my chooice is limited to ducaro, michelin xm1 and apollo accelere.
Old 13th May 2007, 01:50   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ducaro gives more ride comfort, all goodyears do, but at the cost of life. Potenza GIII can last really long.

Quote:
I ant go for g3 and only for bridge re 88, so my chooice is limited to ducaro, michelin xm1 and apollo accelere.
Couldn't make a head or tail of what you are saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
U had 185/60 GIIIs right?
Sorry, typo

Quote:

The comfort level in Ducaro might be better but GIIIs cannot be termed as bad comfort wise either....
Life of a tyre depends on various factors....If taken care properly GIIIs can easily last 35k Kms minimum..
35000? An abused Potenza goes 40,000+, mine are at 43000, and near end of life, but then they have seen roads which most cars don't. If you are a city dweller and don't do crazy high speed turns or don't do much twisties etc., your Potenza will last 50,000+
As for comfort, I have found that goodyear uses soft rubber. But that has a disadvantage, it wears out soon.
That said Potenza is a directional tyre, geared for performance. And it shows. There are other marques which concerntrate on comfort, a directional tyre will never give much comfort, and will be noisier(Not that it matters in an indica).
If you want life get a MRF ZVTS. That tyre is very hard, offers no grip, bad ride, but great long life. Thats one of the reasons most people swear by MRF ZVTS, its lasts so long, and in a country where FE matters the most, long life tyres sell the most.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th May 2007 at 01:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks