Team-BHP - Best of Everything... Which tire is the Best..???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Best of Everything... Which tire is the Best..??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/23945-best-everything-tire-best-6.html)

Thanks for all the replies guys.

As suggeste, i'm going to get the XM1's tomorrow morning in 185/70/R13.

Is there anything I keep in mind while getting new shoes for a car with 91K+ on the odo and who's footwear was not changed since the past, say about 5-6 years? (rim conditions, water proofiing, anything else etc.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitahuja (Post 440924)
As suggeste, i'm going to get the XM1's tomorrow morning in 185/70/R13.

Good choice!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitahuja (Post 440924)
Is there anything I keep in mind while getting new shoes for a car with 91K+ on the odo and who's footwear was not changed since the past, say about 5-6 years? (rim conditions, water proofiing, anything else etc.)

Not much except to see that the rims are true & straight, are not rusted badly. Have no major bends etc. If you're going to the dealer I suggested give me a call once you're there & I'll instruct him to make sure everything is fine with your car's Wheels/Tyres.

Quote:

If you're going to the dealer I suggested give me a call once you're there & I'll instruct him to make sure everything is fine with your car's Wheels/Tyres.
Will do Ishan, will do.

I believe the rims are in great shape and dont have any rusting or bending problem, but then I'll let you do the talking ;-)

I got my XM1's yesterday (Thanks to Ishan) as planned and boy am I happy! :-)

The tyres are simply awesome, super silent and give me the much wanted confidence that was lacking while driving all this while.

I won't compare them to any other brands available as this is the first time I actually ever got to try some quality stuff over the stock Bridgestones (which had become shining-ly BALD).

Only done about 200 kms yet so not pushing hard. Just got a complete spa treatment of the car (thanks to Sam's lancer thread from where I got the inputs) will post that in my other thread.

To conclude, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitahuja (Post 442688)
I got my XM1's yesterday (Thanks to Ishan) as planned and boy am I happy! :-)

The tyres are simply awesome, super silent and give me the much wanted confidence that was lacking while driving all this while.

I won't compare them to any other brands available as this is the first time I actually ever got to try some quality stuff over the stock Bridgestones (which had become shining-ly BALD).

Only done about 200 kms yet so not pushing hard. Just got a complete spa treatment of the car (thanks to Sam's lancer thread from where I got the inputs) will post that in my other thread.

To conclude, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Congrats Ankit..!!
Let the tires run in n then have a blast..!!
Happy driving!!
Put up couple of pics ..

Congrats on the upgrade Ankit!!

But yaaron, what is the ideal way to run in new tyres. I've done a bit over 200 kms and hour long drives.

When and how can I test the limit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitahuja (Post 442857)
But yaaron, what is the ideal way to run in new tyres. I've done a bit over 200 kms and hour long drives.

When and how can I test the limit?

In our conditions I would say let them run for 500kms & then let rip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 436263)
RKS - I'll not argue about this with you but next time when you go for a tyre change do try out a set of Michelin Energy's. From all those who've fitted them on my advice/insistence I have heard nothing but praise, maybe you might just find yourself a better product than the S322's at a similar price. And if they turn out to be worse then we might get to read a review that can give us some new information.

Had a look at the Michelin Australia website:

Michelin Australia

Looks tempting. But see below for some of my doubts.
Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Do you consider the Mich energy xm1 to be a performance tyre and do you believe that it will develop tear/sidewall damage?

From the above website, the Michelin Energy XM1 tyre in the size 155/70 R13 has a speed rating of H (max. 210 kmph). In general, the higher the speed rating, the softer will be the rubber. And H-rating seems like overkill for a car like Santro, which can barely reach 150 kmph. The Michelin Australia website asserts that

"Flexible sidewalls provide vertical cushioning, ensuring premium comfort over all road surfaces."

But are flexible sidewalls desirable on the massive potholes that we see in Pune/Mumbai in the monsoon season (especially on the highway)? I wouldn't mind noisy and uncomfortable tyres like S322 (tubeless) if they are indeed more reliable under these conditions.

However, I may venture to either the Energy XM1 or the Turanza ER-60 next time, if only to see for myself what the differences are as compared to S322.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 443617)
However, I may venture to either the Energy XM1 or the Turanza ER-60 next time, if only to see for myself what the differences are as compared to S322.

:Cheering:finally. This is a move you should consider. XM1 are really worth the money. Even if it for a santro. Wise decision I must say.

Quote:

Thats something you really need to do & experience. I hope you do not lay too much emphasis on the 'may' in your statement. :)

Quote:

But are flexible sidewalls desirable on the massive potholes that we see in Pune/Mumbai in the monsoon season (especially on the highway)?

Although the XM1s are soft rubbers compared to the S322 which are like stones, I dont think the XM1s have such reliability issues. it can take all the bad roads with ease unless its being pounded in potholes at 100kmph + speeds regularly....
Also the XM1s lasted for 53k kms on Ishan's VTEC which is a regular highway mile munching machine is a good example of its reliability...

Hey guys I just changed to good year venturas 195/65 R 14 for my swift diesel. A friend of mine suggested maybe that i hurried things a bit as fatter tyres would mean more load on engine and hence would affect the running in period. I think he has a point there. What do the experts say on this ??

Quote:

Looks tempting. But see below for some of my doubts.
From the above website, the Michelin Energy XM1 tyre in the size 155/70 R13 has a speed rating of H (max. 210 kmph). In general, the higher the speed rating, the softer will be the rubber. And H-rating seems like overkill for a car like Santro, which can barely reach 150 kmph. The Michelin Australia website asserts that

Hi RKS,

I am not sure about 155's but I got the 165/60/R13 Mich XM1's for my cousin brothers Santro 2 weeks ago and he is enjoying the upgrade. They are very nice tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 443981)
Hi RKS,

I am not sure about 155's but I got the 165/60/R13 Mich XM1's for my cousin brothers Santro 2 weeks ago and he is enjoying the upgrade. They are very nice tyres.

165/65-13 is the correct size for Santro