Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 12:42   #1
BHPian

18" wheels of my car are troublesome | Frequent tyre damages | EDIT: Moved to 17-inchers

Hi all,
I am using a Volvo s60 2015 D4 with 235/40 R18's as standard from the factory. (continental), I replaced them with 4 Pirelli's a couple of years ago, slowly with every trip on the highway each tyre started giving up and I had to replace them one by one, (a mix of Apollo/Dunlop/Pirelli due to availability issues) I am quite fed up of taking the car on the highway and having a stress free drive with the tyres on the back of my mind the entire route to and fro.
I want to shift them to 16" ideally so I can increase my sidewall, But Im not sure if the brakes are 16" or 17" in an 18" tyre. Please advise the best possible route to take so I can change all the alloys and tyres and finally be stress free while driving on the highway/city.
Grateful for any and all advice!
a thousand thanks to you all.
kratant is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 14:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 18" wheels of my car are troublesome | Frequent tyre damages

Can I ask for some more details for better understanding on the issue?
1) Are you facing the issue only with Pirelli or all of the other options that you used?
2) How much did OE continental tires last? Was there any similar issues faced?
3) what is the failure mode? Uneven wear and then giving up or gave up all of a sudden?

Downsizing to 16" will not be an viable solution as you have limited (or nil) options for 235 section width.
Mr.Boss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratant View Post
Hi all,
I am using a Volvo s60 2015 D4 with 235/40 R18's as standard from the factory. (continental)
I dont think the S60 has 235/40R18 as standard. I have never seen a S60 with OEM wheels of 18 inches. These cars came with the 215/55R16 as OEM.
Are you sure yours came with 235/40R18 from the factory or as an accsessory.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:08   #4
BHPian

Yes absolutely sure, I am not one to mess with the OE fittings of any car that we have purchased. and since day one the tire has been 235/40 R18's I have seen 16" on the same S60's but I have seen a lot of them with the same tyre size as mine. I would remember if I had got anything replaced hahaha.

Quote:
Are you facing the issue only with Pirelli or all of the other options that you used?
I am facing the issue with Pirelli, and now with Dunlop, Pirelli only had bulges/cracks, Dunlop outright blew out.

Quote:
How much did OE continental tires last? Was there any similar issues faced?
OE continental tyres lasted 4 years , didnt face any issue since I had barely taken it on the highway and the car was sparingly used as well to be honest, and since lack of use the OE continentals developed minor cracks all around in all the tyres.

Quote:
what is the failure mode? Uneven wear and then giving up or gave up all of a sudden?
The failure mode is bulges/cracks and this time a slow blowout. The car mostly goes from Gurgaon, to Lucknow which in my opinion is one of the smoothest highways in India, but at the same time there are violent potholes in Delhi or on other highways.

I basically thought to come down to 16" or 17" so that the sidewall size can increase and there more of a cushion,but since as you said there is no option in 16" for 235mm, that option is lost, and also I think my brakes could be 17" so 16" is totally out. But Im not sure on the size of the brakes. A gentleman on another thread has suggested me to go on 17" and use 225/50 R17's, and it seems tempting. How much do you think this downgrade would affect the handling/mileage/turning radius/acceleration etc?

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2021 at 07:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts
kratant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 15:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
A gentleman on another thread has suggested me to go on 17" and use 225/50 R17's, and it seems tempting. How much do you think this downgrade would affect the handling/mileage/turning radius/acceleration etc?
I can personally vouch for this tyre size. Had been using this in the past until I upgraded to 225/55 R17. Did this only to get a little more ground clearance.

Quite surprising that your car came OE fitted with 235/40.

Unless you drive like a hooligan, you won't find any downgrade in performance with 225/50. You will also find to have better ride quality with the additional profile. I personally prefer Michelins. However, in the present market scenario, you might find it difficult to procure these.

All the best
psispace is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:09   #6
BHPian

Were you using a Volvo S60 as well?
I am surprised now since so many people are saying that an OE would not give this tyre size, however, it is true. Have spoken with two dealerships as well. I am now facing the wrath of the Swedes in their attempt to create a visual appeal. The pic posted is of the original RIM that has come with the car. I have seen these on various other S60's in Delhi/Gurgaon. I fortunately dont drive like a hooligan and am quite calm and composed but I like the performance of the car in the fact that when I need it, it has never ever failed me. My faith is getting firmer in the 225/50'R17's now since you also have advocated the same.
Attached Thumbnails
18" wheels of my car are troublesome | Frequent tyre damages | EDIT: Moved to 17-inchers-thumbnail_img_0080.jpg  

kratant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Were you using a Volvo S60 as well?
Yes indeed.

Link to my thread below :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...km-update.html (Volvo S60 D5 Ownership Review : 10 years, 82000 km update!)

Quote:
The pic posted is of the original RIM that has come with the car. I have seen these on various other S60's in Delhi/Gurgaon.
Lovely rim and tyre profile. But very impractical for our roads. Maybe there was more demand for this profile in your area.

Quote:
I fortunately dont drive like a hooligan and am quite calm and composed but I like the performance of the car in the fact that when I need it, it has never ever failed me. My faith is getting firmer in the 225/50'R17's now since you also have advocated the same.
In that case go right ahead. You won't regret it. Your other option is 245/45 R17 if performance is higher priority. Again, try to procure Michelin Primacy 4 ST series if you can.
Old 6th September 2021, 22:15   #8
BHPian

I have happily read your review numerous times. Always wanted to go for a Volvo rather than the other three (nothing against them) but my father and I were somehow always inclined towards the Volvo. The only reason to buy was because it was what it was. Ive been bearing the brunt of the impracticality. I can compromise a bit on the performance as long as the safety is assured. But have thought that Indian roads arent meant for anything other than Toyota's. But I still love the Volvo.
I guess Im sold, 225/50 R17's it is!!!! I will try and source Michelins as suggested by a few , was gonna go for Apollos, but have been convinced otherwise by all of you.
kratant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 00:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
I am using a Volvo s60 2015 D4 with 235/40 R18's as standard from the factory. Please advise the best possible route to take so I can change all the alloys and tyres and finally be stress free while driving on the highway/city.
Hi, I have a s60 D5 that came with 235/40/R18 as well and those tyres were an absolute pain on the highways and even slightly imperfect roads. Went through a few CPCs since sidewall was so easily damaged.

Then I changed to 245/45/R18s and I couldn't have been happier. The difference is literally day and night even though it is only 16mm of additional sidewall. The car handles bad roads like any other typical sedan and I have even had quite a few bad pothole hits at highway speeds without any issues.
I would highly recommend changing to this tyre profile before you go the costlier route of changing rim sizes and et all. I am running Dunlop Sportmax 050+ with this profile and happy with the tyres too.
niranjanrvce is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 09:50   #10
BHPian

That is quite re assuring, I fee your pain. Going through so many tyres its been an ordeal. Our road conditions aren’t meant for these cars. Just another 16mm you say and no bubbles/blowouts????
kratant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:02   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: 18" wheels of my car are troublesome | Frequent tyre damages | EDIT: Moved to 17-inchers

Fully agree with your intended move to 16s . Will give you far more robust tyres, cheaper tyre replacement costs and as a bonus, much cushier ride quality. Considering the S60 was sold with 16s internationally, it should be an easy fit and worth the effort. Just reconfirm with your Volvo dealer once that there is enough clearance for the brakes, and ensure no more than a 2% difference in the overall diameter.

Manufacturers are really brain-dead to be choosing such big rims + short tyre sidewalls for India. I have repaired my 530d's rims like 10 times for bends in 6 years of ownership. Luckily, I haven't faced any ruptured tyre yet.

I recently took an S-Class riding on ridiculous 20" rims to Lonavla! Ended up coming home with the space saver. Front tyre totally damaged on a rough road (not even a pothole):
18" wheels of my car are troublesome | Frequent tyre damages | EDIT: Moved to 17-inchers-20210808-09.17.23.jpg
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 14:39   #12
BHPian

re: 18" wheels of my car are troublesome | Frequent tyre damages | EDIT: Moved to 17-inchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
I personally prefer Michelins. However, in the present market scenario, you might find it difficult to procure these.

All the best
+1 on Michelin. From what I understand here in Bengaluru, Michelin tyres are back in supply and they should not be a problem to procure. Got the Pilot Sport 4 fitted on my car less than a month ago. Drove to Chennai and back and feels really quiet and good.
anandavinash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 14:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

I can totally feel your pain.

My Alfa Romeo in Australia rides on 235/40/19 tyres, and even though the roads there are brilliant, yet I have to be careful with the tyres and rims on many roads.

I recently picked up a preowned 320D Msport, and it came with 225/45/17 tyres, even though they are +5 on your tyre's profile, they feel very delicate.
Just completed a 600km trip this weekend, and I had to keep my eyes wide open even for tiniest of the potholes

My Car came with a lot of extras including these big brakes, which means downsizing isn't an option for me, since I do not want to give up on these brakes. I may switch to 225/50/17 at the next change.
Attached Thumbnails
18" wheels of my car are troublesome | Frequent tyre damages | EDIT: Moved to 17-inchers-img_3129.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Just another 16mm you say and no bubbles/blowouts????
Yes indeed. No problems with the tyre sidewalls at all. Infact, for the first few months, I used come back from some bad road drives and frantically check all the 4 tyres for damage. Nothing at all so far, and I have grown way more confident about this profile+tyres combo over time.

On the stock 235/40/18 profile, I once did a state highway run where the road was very gravely but didn't quite hit any bad pothole - yet I came back home to a scrubbed sidewall with small cuts all over it. I seriously considered dropping to 17 inches as well when a Volvo group member suggested the 245/45 upgrade.

Going to 16/17 inches will still give you much better ride quality though. So weigh your options.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I can totally feel your pain.
=====
My Car came with a lot of extras including these big brakes, which means downsizing isn't an option for me, since I do not want to give up on these brakes. I may switch to 225/50/17 at the next change.

Yeah That’s the problem with these tyres I guess they’re best suited to race tracks. Always have the same problem with every trip one tyre has a cut or a bubble. I am quite convinced to drop down to 225/50 17’s now.
kratant is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks