Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2021, 16:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels

Sorry to hear about the damage. No such issues with my x3 with 18 inch wheels with 245/50 rubber. The rear wheels on the 530d are also wider to provide traction with a RWD setup of the car with the beast of an engine. The wider rims are structurally not as strong as the narrower rims plus the 40 profile tyres make matters worse. I wouldn’t blame the car, it’s the best that they make. Plus it’s a heavy car which attains momentum faster than we can react. Makes sense to drive a bit slowly to avoid damage.
As for me planning to go 235/60 R18 on my x3. Anyone done that?? Kindly share your experience if done so.
KKapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 18:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels

This is why I'm a huge fan of my Creta's 16" steel wheels with cover. I've fought the itch to upgrade to 17" alloys right from delivery but these 16" ones not only help with cushioning ride but also make if easier to keep clean. Just rub with damp cloth. No need to worry about paint chipping off like the alloys either. Good thing they're black and most people think they're alloys anyway
Attached Thumbnails
Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-20210121_181842.jpg  

Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-20210109_155323.jpg  

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 14th November 2021 at 18:29.
Nithesh_M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 18:49   #48
BHPian

My 2019 X3 came with 19 inch alloys and RFT as standard.

Good or bad ?
Old 14th November 2021, 22:42   #49
ais
BHPian

I'm surprised to see a thread like this with posts from veterans. Either I've missed relevant posts, or other members have not searched related threads. Frankly, I'm not making the effort to read each post carefully, because the issue has been addressed in various other BMW related threads.

What you need is to switch to FORGED, not CAST alloys. This may have been suggested in this thread, but if not, please try it.

Also, repairing bent alloys is a bad idea.

I went for 17" downsize Bayern forged alloys, and tubeless Pilot Sport 4 instead of Runflats after the BMW 18" M Sport alloys bent slightly. By retaining the width, I don't think torque will have any problem being managed by higher profile tyres.

If expert advice is needed, please PM me and I'll
connect you (GTO) with pro race modification person.

Last edited by ais : 14th November 2021 at 22:47.
ais is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 13:01   #50
BHPian

I have been using my BMW X5 with 19 inch stock BMW wheels - Staggered Setup since more than a year now.

Front - 255/55 R19
Rear - 285/45 R19

Cars still running on stock tyres (Continental RFT's) - been 30k kms.

Have travelled on several good and not so good roads/highways/mountain roads during this time and never faced an issue till date (touchwood).

I think the key here is the sidewall height (140.25 - Front, 128.25 - Rear) which is more than 120mm which I feel is essential for India.

So next time one is upsizing, he should check on the sidewall height in addition to total diameter that will fit in the wheel-well.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-img_5241.jpeg  

Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-img_5243.jpeg  

Sisu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 13:44   #51
BHPian

This is precisely why I baby the V40 CC riding on 18" wheels with 45 profile tyres on bad stretches. Downsizing to 17' wheels is on the cards and I will go for it after the current set of Pirellis wear out so I don't lose out on the value of the new tyres. For the last 3 years, I have been able to cope up with this but it does annoy me when hitting bad patches or coarse sections where the ride quality becomes terrible. Luckily I drive mostly on good roads and highways here in TN is well paved for the most part. I dread when hitting the Bangalore roads though and thats entirely a different nightmare!
Old 15th November 2021, 14:02   #52
BHPian

I thought I was the only one with this issue. Recently had to get the front right rim and tyre replaced and repair the rear one. One bad pothole near Vashi caused this. I wonder if changing to tubeless would reduce the impact onto the rims. I too have bought an additional full size rim because I just don’t feel confident enough to take the car on our pathetic Indian roads for long distances.
Attached Thumbnails
Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-2bda9a024f824edc918402ff8dc59a40.jpeg  

shovan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 14:22   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
I'm surprised to see a thread like this with posts from veterans. Either I've missed relevant posts, or other members have not searched related threads. Frankly, I'm not making the effort to read each post carefully, because the issue has been addressed in various other BMW related threads.

What you need is to switch to FORGED, not CAST alloys. This may have been suggested in this thread, but if not, please try it.
Well, once you upgrade from X inches to X+2 inches for looks especially and then suffer the consequences - clearly money has made matters worse.

Your solution is expensive forged wheels and as far as I know, that is not going to prevent the tyre from getting pinched and rupture nor is that forged wheel going to win the battle with a road surface, something`s got to give and once the pothole makes it way through the thin tyre profile - the next is wheel rim, forged or not.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 16:00   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
True, your side profile was much taller than the 18 inches we were discussing. What speed were you in, and what was the vehicle you were driving?
Car was S-Cross with OEM alloys.
It was a very steep downward slope on a turn. I know that road on the back of my hand but this was a fresh pothole made due to the rains and it was early morning just before sunrise. It was a sharp and nasty pothole. The car was around 60km/h and the thud was loud.

I drove to my destination about 120km from there without any problems. A few hours after parking I visually noticed slight drop pressure. Only after I went to the puncture shop this was seen.

The effect on 18inch wheels with relatively thin walls would have definitely been much worse. I doubt the car would have been motorable.
Old 15th November 2021, 16:03   #55
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
as far as I know
The forged Bayern alloys cost me the same as BMW cast alloys would have costed. Forged alloys are stronger than cast alloys.

Do you have any instance of forged wheels shod with tubeless tyres in 17" (or other sizes) bending?

This is not simply a discussion of alloys, looks, money, sizes, discomfort bs peace of mind etc. Its about safety too.
ais is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 18:36   #56
BHPian

Made the terrible mistake years ago of upsizing the rims in my 2006 Hyundai Verna (either R15 to R16, or R14 to R15, don't recall).

The car did look really nice with the bigger rims.

That was the only pro. Ride quality went for a toss, and the rims kept on getting damaged. After the 2nd rim got bent, went back to the previous size.

The entire exercise was a waste of money, but at least I learnt a lesson.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 14:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

I guess the BMW X1 Xline trims used to come with 18 inchers which I always thought was an overkill and I know so many who started hating the car due to the frequent tire damages due to the inadequate sidewall height. As I understand, they have discontinued the 18 inch rims later which is a good move and changed over to the 17 inchers. I know many who are looking at a downgrade to 17 inchers. Do you now if it poses any other challenges? If no, whether anyone is looking to upgrade to 18 inchers as a swap and I can direct them to people looking for a downgrade
Old 20th November 2021, 18:37   #58
BHPian

Off-Topic Post: What happens to these rims once they are beyond repair/unusable/structurally weak? Do they end up with a scrap dealer? What is the monetary value of one such unusable rim? I have so many questions because these rims look beautiful and I want one rim for décor purposes.

Mods pls delete this post if it is against the forum rules
Old 5th December 2021, 04:28   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

We have two cars with the following tyre profiles,

1. WRX - BBS Alloys. 245/40 R18
2. Mazda 3 - OEM Alloys. 215/45 R18

The WRX sees far more abuse in terms of road conditions and the speed in which those are handled. I mean, it'll fly through crests and land on unpaved roads or dive into a pothole at 100 kmph+ and I'll hear deafening sounds of the suspension springs flattened out but the wheels (Rims and the rubber) are just fine thankfully.

The Mazda3 hits a road side kerb and here's the damage. The side wall tore off and the tyre was replaced.
Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-fa4cfc669d9041cd8032db409f05da0b.jpeg

The Mazda3 LHS wheel hits a pothole during a right-hand turn at less than 50 kmph and gets gifted a hole in the sidewall and the tyre had to be replaced.

Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-0c6ae1542432451c8511e0ad17e8bb93_1_201_a.jpeg

Is the second instance a case of bad luck or a reflection of the fact that the sidewalls are too soft or may be Toyo is just a crappy brand?

So I'm thinking if the sidewall stiffness/durability should also be considered when replacing OEM tyres. I might as well get performance tires for the Mazda3 next time if they offer stiffer sidewalls. We'll have to compromise on ride quality I guess. It kind of stings to spend $400 (and time) to replace two tyres within one year.

Compare the data for both the tires.
Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-screen-shot-20211205-8.46.50-am.png

Other than visual appeal, I don't know why the 180BHP Mazda3 should have the same RIM size and 1mm lesser sidewall than a 250BHP WRX.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 22:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Agree. I upgraded from 225/50R18 to 225/55R18 & felt the difference. The ride is much more comfortable as well.
Hi mate, just curious - are you using Bridgestone Turanzas? Asking because 225 55R18 is the stock tyre size for Compass and Tucson and AFAIK Turanza is the only options available currently in India.

Anyway, irrespective of the brand of the tyre, would be great if you can share your experience with these tyres. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks