Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2022, 14:06   #61
BHPian

Re: Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_Jeeper View Post
Hi mate, just curious - are you using Bridgestone Turanzas? Asking because 225 55R18 is the stock tyre size for Compass and Tucson and AFAIK Turanza is the only options available currently in India.

Anyway, irrespective of the brand of the tyre, would be great if you can share your experience with these tyres. Thanks!
Yes Indeed. I am using BS Turanzas and the experience has been very good so far. The ride has become much more comfortable as compared to RFTs. The handling has taken a very minor hit. The grip is good as well. Also, I have used the tyres for only around 6k kms, so long term review will take sometime.

Here they are tackling the Himalayan Roads with ease

Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-whatsapp-image-20220110-1.59.24-pm.jpeg
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 12:56   #62
BHPian

Re: Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels

For 530d, aren’t 245/50R18 and 275/45R18 a viable option? Other than minor speedo error, would it impact any electronics? Im assuming the wheel wells can hold them (looking at them).
Old 29th March 2022, 16:29   #63
BHPian

Hi guys,

I started noticing some vibrations in our recently acquired pre-owned G30 530D which start at ~85kmph but become less apparent as the speed further increases. They are subtle enough that you don’t feel those on the concrete express-way but can be felt on a smooth tar road.

So, I took the car to get an alignment and balancing done. I was closely watching the wheels while the technician was balancing them and all of them looked perfect from the outer side of the rim (where I was standing) but then when doing the rear left rim, the technician said sir the rim is bent.

The outside of the rim can appear to be perfect even when on the balancing machine when the inner side of the rim is bent out of shape, so he called me around to see the inward side of the rim.

Here is the video of the inner side of the wheel I recorded. You can clearly see it wobbling here.

Is this something that can be repaired or do I have to replace the rim?

If it can be repaired, are there any expert shops that you guys recommend here in Pune?
Old 12th May 2022, 06:36   #64
BHPian

@GTO
Need your advice on a car that went through 360 inspection at BMW. Report said both front and rear left rims are bent to 25-30% but within permissible limits. Everything else is fully intact and very clean (3.5 yr old, <15k and under warranty) Should this be a concern for me to drop? Or anything else to be done/checked to find a solution? I wasn’t sure which is the right thread to post this on, but thought this is more appropriate as it’s related to bent rims. Thanx
Old 13th May 2022, 11:03   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Should this be a concern for me to drop?
Not at all! Am pretty sure there is no 5-Series with 18" rims that hasn't suffered bends. It's a given with this wheel + tyre combination. Least of your worries. Focus on the other stuff in our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 12:49   #66
BHPian

Thanx GTO and Androdev. Does anyone know a reliable place in BLR for repairing bent alloys?
Old 12th July 2022, 21:14   #67

My G30 520d has recently had a crack at alloy rim at driver side rear wheel. I was facing frequent loss of tyre pressure at same wheel. Thought it must be punctured wheel. But it was shocker to see a crack on the inside. Regret not choosing tyre coverage in surance. ASS quoting 51k for replacement. Or else asking to pay 44k for bmw assure. Alloy repair shops are quoting 2 3 k for repair. Else they say wait for next insurance which is due in 5 months and get tyres covered. Till then using combination of same and spare wheel. What should i do.
Attached Thumbnails
Completely fed up of damaging my 18" rims | Bought an extra full set of wheels-917f07d3edf34b4b8e252c772b37c553.jpeg  

Old 12th July 2022, 21:50   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameergarg View Post
My G30 520d has recently had a crack at alloy rim at driver side rear wheel. I was facing frequent loss of tyre pressure at same wheel. Thought it must be punctured wheel. But it was shocker to see a crack on the inside. Regret not choosing tyre coverage in surance. ASS quoting 51k for replacement. Or else asking to pay 44k for bmw assure. Alloy repair shops are quoting 2 3 k for repair. Else they say wait for next insurance which is due in 5 months and get tyres covered. Till then using combination of same and spare wheel. What should i do.
This might sound like a funny suggestion. Did I read it correctly that that you may be able to get the replacement covered under next insurance after 5 months?

Would it work if you use a tube inside the tubeless tyre to avoid the pressure loss as a stopgap arrangement?
Old 12th July 2022, 21:58   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
This might sound like a funny suggestion. Did I read it correctly that that you may be able to get the replacement covered under next insurance after 5 months?

Would it work if you use a tube inside the tubeless tyre to avoid the pressure loss as a stopgap arrangement?
This is what my service and insurance advisor told me
Old 17th July 2022, 10:55   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameergarg View Post
My G30 520d has recently had a crack at alloy rim at driver side rear wheel. I was facing frequent loss of tyre pressure at same wheel.
Your alloy wheel is covered in your standard insurance. I have successfully claimed a damaged wheel in my C220 a decade ago (when these insurance add-ons weren't even a thing).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 14:22   #71
BHPian

@Sameergarg, if your car is less than 1 year old, you can also claim alloy replacement under BMW Secure program.
Old 17th July 2022, 21:52   #72

I am in the second year of ownership. My ASS is asking to pay 44k for secure program. They will replace under that. However i have also been suggested to get it weld in after market which costs 2 - 3 k. Can anyone suggest if it is genuine solution. Also how will it affect the warranty and insurance claims in future.
Old 28th July 2022, 10:49   #73
BHPian

Is there well known ratio (sidewall height/ total diameter) to stick to, for Indian conditions, keeping the overall diameter same as what manufacturer used for stock tyres ?

So for eg Scorpio N
for 18" the ratio is 6"/30"
for 17" the ratio is 6.3"/29.5"

Is the above difference also something to be worried about in the long run ?
Old 26th September 2022, 12:05   #74
BHPian

One of the rims on my 520d is bent and is causing minor wobble at speeds above 80 kmph.

Name:  ezgif47f64aa9ac9.gif
Views: 440
Size:  2.62 MB

BMW Secure apparently has a mandatory pre-requisite that the tyre also needs to be damaged, without which they wouldn't approve alloy replacement. I persuaded enough, but to no avail. What are my options?

Quite a few instances on Team BHP allude to rims bending without tyres getting damaged:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• Two bent rims minimum per year due to lots of highway running. Luckily, I haven't faced a damaged tyre yet (touches wood).
Alternatively, how easy is it to get this repaired in Hyderabad? Any recommended places?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks