Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2022, 23:48   #1

VW Ameo tyre query: Stuck between Michelin and Continental tyres

Hello guys,
My Ameo TDI DSG came with stock Good year 195/55/R16 and it's due for change now at 50k kms.
I was not thinking about anything other than Michelin, since my experience with Michelin XM2 in my Honda city was so satisfactory in terms of,
1. Reliability - One set lasted more than 1 lakh kms and the next set crossed 50k kms already and still running good.
2. Quality - Zero punctures in these 1.5L kms.
3. Ride & Comfort - Nothing to complaint as in Good year.

Now the availability issues of Michelin made me think of other tyres too. Though I can manage to get Michelin from some distant towns, I have to rely on them only for further issues like warranty claim and all(if needed).

Further, in Volkswagen service centre they advise me to go with Continental and says it's better than Michelin in terms of quality and ride(they don't sell Michelin which may be the actual reason).

I am ok with Continental also, but only thing I am dubious about is its life. Will Continental run long as Michelins do?
If not, I'm ready to go with Michelin itself in spite of the wavering issues for buying Michelin.

I need fellow BHP'ians valuable suggestions to decide between Michelin and Continental. I'm open to other tyre suggestions too, but my primary considerations are long life, good quality(not like my stock Good year which had 4 punctures in this short 50k life span in spite pure highway runs), and of course the safety(short braking distance). Comfort and tyre noise are not big deals to me.

My driving pattern is roughly 2000kms per month and more than 95% of this will be in highway.

Thanks in advance.
drrams is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: VW Ameo tyre query: Stuck between Michelin and Continental tyres

Yokohamas are equally good. They handle bad roads better than Michelins. Michelins are known for softer sidewalls which can get damaged. There are many reviews of the same in our own forum.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 18:45   #3
BHPian

I am using 3 year old 195/55/16 Conti Sport Contact 5s in my Polo GT. The ride has gotten rough and noisy. Earlier in my Chevy Beat I had XM2s. Loved them. I would suggest to go with the Michelins.
corvus corax is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 19:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

I generally use Michelin on all my cars. Last time I went in for Continental for my Esteem and I regret my decision as the tyres have become hard and is no match for the comfort of the Michelins.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 06:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Yokohamas are equally good. They handle bad roads better than Michelins. Michelins are known for softer sidewalls which can get damaged. There are many reviews of the same in our own forum.
Is Yokohama equally good as Michelin in terms of life? I can get Yokohama too in my town itself, rather than wavering here and there to get Michelin.
Old 13th February 2022, 07:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrams View Post
Is Yokohama equally good as Michelin in terms of life? I can get Yokohama too in my town itself, rather than wavering here and there to get Michelin.
The Yoko Blu Earth are known to be comfortable but tire life is unknown at this point. Stick to Michelin.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 07:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I have used both Michelin and Yoko on my Storme, and both have been fine. The Ikon and the A-Star both had/have Yoko's.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 21:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
----
I need fellow BHP'ians valuable suggestions to decide between Michelin and Continental.
My driving pattern is roughly 2000kms per month and more than 95% of this will be in highway.
I am using stock size Continentals for the past 45k km (for my Vento) and they still have some decent life in them.
A good part of this has been on highways. Just 1 puncture so far. Very good grip. I fill up 33 psi at front and 30 psi in rear tyres, so this has kept the ride & handling optimum.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 21:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
I am using stock size Continentals for the past 45k km (for my Vento) and they still have some decent life in them.
A good part of this has been on highways. Just 1 puncture so far. Very good grip. I fill up 33 psi at front and 30 psi in rear tyres, so this has kept the ride & handling optimum.
How is the tyre noise from your Conti? I use Conti CC5 on my Vento and while the rest is great, I find the tyre noise a bit on the higher side (run 22k so far).

My experience with Michelin XM2 was great. Especially when it came to tyre noise.

If I had to chose between the two, I would go with XM2.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 14:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
How is the tyre noise from your Conti? I use Conti CC5 on my Vento and while the rest is great, I find the tyre noise a bit on the higher side (run 22k so far).
My experience with Michelin XM2 was great. Especially when it came to tyre noise.
If I had to chose between the two, I would go with XM2.
I also use the Conti CC5s. I have found the tyre noise to be actually 'good', specially on asphalt. On concrete roads though, the noise amplifies.
I say this in comparison to the earlier MRFs (not the best comparo, I know) that came from the OEM and also in comparison to Bridgestones on my colleague's Vento.
I fill nitrogen regularly so not sure if this plays a part.
33 psi at front, 30 psi at rear.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 14:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
I also use the Conti CC5s. I have found the tyre noise to be actually 'good', specially on asphalt. On concrete roads though, the noise amplifies.
I say this in comparison to the earlier MRFs (not the best comparo, I know) that came from the OEM and also in comparison to Bridgestones on my colleague's Vento.
I fill nitrogen regularly so not sure if this plays a part.
33 psi at front, 30 psi at rear.
Yes, you are right. On concrete roads the noise is just too loud. And in Hyd, I guess majority of the roads are concrete.

I use 32psi in all the tyres. Will change that to your configuration and see if it helps. Thanks!
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 18:33   #12
k0p
BHPian

Have Michellin Primacy on an Altis running 32 PSI all around and CC5s on a Fluence running the factory recommended 32/29 PSI. Ride in the Fluence is faar better and the mileage is equally bad. Have not had the chance to interchange the brands on either car yet to see which tyre is superior but both are pretty good. A similar number of punctures on both. But have at least 3-4 incidents of sidewall damage/bulges on Michelin XM2s on our Honda City.
k0p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 19:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I am ok with Continental also, but only thing I am dubious about is its life. Will Continental run long as Michelins do?
We have used multiple sets of Michelins in Swift, Jazz, Figo, Rapid and Polo. Every instance the replacements were done after 70,000 kms. As Michelins were not available, we switched to Continental UC6 on our Jazz in the end of 2020. The tyres have run >30,000 kms and have not seen much thread wear, we are confident that they will last 20,000 - 30,000 kms more.

Jazz's usage is 90% highway and 10% city.
vinaydatla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 20:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Have used both the brands.

Continental MC5 and Michelin P4ST

If you are after handling, I suggest continental, but they are noisy. Michelin is excellent for comfort, not so for handling.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 22:23   #15
BHPian

Has someone shifted from GoodYear Assurance Triplemax to Contis?
How would you compare the road noise. Which one has more noise and vice versa?
Appreciate any response.

Most Viewed