Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2022, 08:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Strange wear patterns even after alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
I’m seeing this sort of tire wear on my Jeep Compass. Initially I thought it was an alignment issue and realigned the wheels. But it seems to be still there. Tire pressure is ok as I had installed tpms last month.
As per the photographs, I feel the tyres have hardened and become brittle. This has led to rubber being chipped off. You definitely need to change the tyres. Before that do a thorough examination of underbody, control arms, suspension and bushings, from a reputed wheel alignment shop preferably with Hunter machine and/or from ASC. Also measure the distance of the body from the ground for each tyre. This is let you know if there is any tilt in your car.

Mostly new tyres and realignment should do the trick, but it is always better to check for any abnormal symptoms or damages.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 4th March 2022 at 08:28.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 10:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Thanks. Is this also the stock size for your car. I mean what size did you originally have. I have 225/55 R18 but I am planning to downsize to 16 inch wheels and tyres as the 225/55 R18 are no good in off-road conditions. 215/65 R16 is slightly smaller then my stock size.
I had R17's and changed them to R16 alloys from bedrock edition at the dealership itself. They ordered the alloy on my behalf and it took 3-4 weeks to come. The bedrock edition alloy is black with 6.5J and is just a perfect fit for 215/65/R16.

The bedrock edition came with 225/60/R16 in stock so this size change is the best overall. Also I did not buy MOMO, etc wheels because I wanted to keep the alloys company authentic.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 10:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
I had R17's and changed them to R16 alloys from bedrock edition at the dealership itself. They ordered the alloy on my behalf and it took 3-4 weeks to come. The bedrock edition alloy is black with 6.5J and is just a perfect fit for 215/65/R16.

The bedrock edition came with 225/60/R16 in stock so this size change is the best overall. Also I did not buy MOMO, etc wheels because I wanted to keep the alloys company authentic.

Great choice and a very useful upgrade. Thanks for the detailed reply.

How much did the alloys cost you and can you post some pictures of the alloys.

Last edited by Traveler : 4th March 2022 at 11:01.
Old 5th March 2022, 09:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Great choice and a very useful upgrade. Thanks for the detailed reply.

How much did the alloys cost you and can you post some pictures of the alloys.
The car is with my brother for now since I exchanged my Compass with his Seltos a while back given his excessive traveling and Seltos bad crash scores.

The bedrock alloys were around 50-55k from what I recall and the tires were 10k each.

This is the pic of the said alloy
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 04:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Hi - I'm a rubber technology and formulations person. This is a purely rubber mixing issue and the compatibility of the polymers is the reason (probably due to difficult to mix polybutadiene in the formulation).

In layman's terms, it's a product defect.
Would this rubber mixing issue promotes hardening of tyre rubber, or polymers compatibility causing hardening ?

If yes, is the hardening 'accelerated'?

Or both of them has no relation with rubber hardening phenomenon whatsovever?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks