Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2022, 18:37   #1
BHPian

Strange wear patterns even after alignment

I’m seeing this sort of tire wear on my Jeep Compass. Initially I thought it was an alignment issue and realigned the wheels. But it seems to be still there. Tire pressure is ok as I had installed tpms last month.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange wear patterns even after alignment-7a4de04efb604f8daeaf5d2eea3c4644.jpeg  

Strange wear patterns even after alignment-c74eabd808b44966b41bc859783d3d1d.jpeg  

Strange wear patterns even after alignment-1ecf76585d9a417daa2ccbc333fc5bc2.jpeg  

Last edited by di1in : 26th February 2022 at 18:38.
di1in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 19:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Strange wear patterns even after alignment

It's perhaps difficult to understand the problem based on the two pictures - assuming these are front right tyres. I'm guessing they are making some noise at speeds.

Any experienced alignment technician should be able to just look at the wear pattern and tell you what is going on , let alone drive the vehicle.

This tyre is certainly due for replacement but before that a good alignment shop should be able to diagnose if this is a defect of the tyre itself , the alloy wheel or the suspension. Ask around with cabbies / TT drivers if you are in KL, they should be able to lead you to a good shop.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 21:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks to be an alignment issue. Where did you get the alignment done ? Suggest get it done at another good place.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 22:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
This tyre is certainly due for replacement but before that a good alignment shop should be able to diagnose if this is a defect of the tyre itself , the alloy wheel or the suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looks to be an alignment issue. Where did you get the alignment done ? Suggest get it done at another good place.
Thanks, will try to take it to a place for checking alignment again. I had it done at a place nearby about two months back and there was a big improvement in driving and handling after it was done. Not sure if these from photos are before the alignment or recent.

I had an alignment issue and two punctures in December and January, before which some tires also had this uneven wear issue. Around then we did two rounds of wheel balancing and rotation (one scheduled, and another one when the tpms was fit two months later). Is there a way to track if the uneven wear is recent or just the old ones?

Also the tires have run almost 40k and are 4.5 years old. Could these cracks be from hardened rubber?
Attached Thumbnails
Strange wear patterns even after alignment-43518c2f2d3e48379775ddf50bc39c81.jpeg  

Last edited by di1in : 26th February 2022 at 22:21.
Old 26th February 2022, 22:43   #5
BHPian

Those cracks - how deep are they? Are there any on the sidewalls? If yes don't drive on them.

You need to replace them as members above have said - but get a good look first by an experienced alignment shop.

If you are in Bangalore, go to Madhu's and get them checked out.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 09:00   #6
BHPian

There are no cracks on the sidewalls. I’ll have them checked out at an alignment place soon.
Old 28th February 2022, 09:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
There are no cracks on the sidewalls. I’ll have them checked out at an alignment place soon.
These are chips and not cracks. Rubber has come out in these locations causing the pits. I face similar issue with Continental CC5 on my i20. The problem is with the tyre and alignment will not help it. More like a manufacturing defect. If this is happening on all 4 tyres then you might be travellling on rough roads with sharp stones often

I suggest you use the tyres till they wear out and then get new ones.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 11:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had an alignment issue and two punctures in December and January, before which some tires also had this uneven wear issue.

Also the tires have run almost 40k and are 4.5 years old. Could these cracks be from hardened rubber?
As mentioned by other members, at first get the alignment re-checked. Also, get the suspension components checked.

Further, your tires have run 40k in 4.5 years. Though its not much, but given the condition of the tire, please get it replaced. Also, keep watch on other tires as well.

Quote:
Around then we did two rounds of wheel balancing and rotation (one scheduled, and another one when the tpms was fit two months later).
I suggest to avoid the so called 'scheduled wheel alignment & balancing'. These are just money making avenues for OEM service centers. Opt for these services only when you have concern with your vehicle.

Wheel alignment : When vehicle has side-wise pulling or uneven tire wear.
Wheel Balancing : When vibrations from tire are higher than normal.

Also, both are independent activities and not required to be performed together every time. I get wheel alignment and balancing done only when tires are changed. That too at my trusted tire shop. Tires performed satisfactorily without the 'scheduled wheel alignment & balancing'.

Moreover, I don't trust the balancing and alignment setup at dealer workshops.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 07:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I had an alignment issue and two punctures in December and January, before which some tires also had this uneven wear issue. Around then we did two rounds of wheel balancing and rotation (one scheduled, and another one when the tpms was fit two months later). Is there a way to track if the uneven wear is recent or just the old ones?
Mind sharing the current or latest complete (Front & Rear) alignment readings, inc Before and After.

Are the tyres pictures from front left, front right or rear......., inner or outer edges shown?

Any tyre rotation before and after current alignment?
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:44   #10
BHPian

Seems like a alignment issue but I had similar issues in my compass as well, I was using it mostly on loose dirt roads so had to change my tyres at 25-26k. The alignment also goes out with ease if you rough house it.

Given the suspension was not great I went for a R16 alloy option "From Jeep Showroom" with Goodyear wrangler silentrac A/T and it has been great for the last 1.5 years and grip has actually increased. The OEM tyres never did seem great to me but given the open market prices at the time of purchase I kept them going.

Last edited by Brishti : 3rd March 2022 at 16:45.
Old 3rd March 2022, 21:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I’m seeing this sort of tire wear on my Jeep Compass. Initially I thought it was an alignment issue and realigned the wheels. But it seems to be still there. Tire pressure is ok as I had installed tpms last month.
Hi - I'm a rubber technology and formulations person. This is a purely rubber mixing issue and the compatibility of the polymers is the reason (probably due to difficult to mix polybutadiene in the formulation).

In layman's terms, it's a product defect.
reppy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 22:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Seems like a alignment issue but I had similar issues in my compass as well, I was using it mostly on loose dirt roads so had to change my tyres at 25-26k. The alignment also goes out with ease if you rough house it.

Given the suspension was not great I went for a R16 alloy option "From Jeep Showroom" with Goodyear wrangler silentrac A/T and it has been great for the last 1.5 years and grip has actually increased. The OEM tyres never did seem great to me but given the open market prices at the time of purchase I kept them going.
I am considering the same tyres for my compass too. What size tyre did you get for the 16 inch alloys?
Old 3rd March 2022, 22:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I am considering the same tyres for my compass too. What size tyre did you get for the 16 inch alloys?
215 65 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Silentrac A/T they are softer than Continentals ATs but harder than the Yoko ATs. This mix makes them great for a lot of temperature variations.

The reason to go for 215 65 R16 was the 6.5J size of the alloy, Price and Availability. The price of these was 10k per tyre at that point of time and were recommended by a cousin who is a Q3 owner.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 00:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
215 65 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Silentrac A/T they are softer than Continentals ATs but harder than the Yoko ATs. This mix makes them great for a lot of temperature variations.

The reason to go for 215 65 R16 was the 6.5J size of the alloy, Price and Availability. The price of these was 10k per tyre at that point of time and were recommended by a cousin who is a Q3 owner.
Thanks. Is this also the stock size for your car. I mean what size did you originally have. I have 225/55 R18 but I am planning to downsize to 16 inch wheels and tyres as the 225/55 R18 are no good in off-road conditions. 215/65 R16 is slightly smaller then my stock size.
Old 4th March 2022, 04:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rubber looks hard and brittle and layers on the top have chipped off.
The main grooves running along the tyres dont seem deep enough to ensure adequate traction on wet surfaces.
They have served a good number of years and mileage. Its time to replace them with a set of new tyres in the interest of safety.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks