Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2022, 12:32   #1

Flat-spotting on all 4 MRF tyres

We own a Tata Hexa since 2017 that's done around 1.16 lakh kms as of today. In 2020 at around 80k kms., the 19" MRF tyres were completely worn out & there was an acute shortage of those specific tyres all over India. Only 2016 manufactured tyres were available with all dealers. On the assurance of the then DM (District Manager) Mr. Soumyajit Ghose, that the warranty would start from 2020, we had no option but to go ahead.

Now in 2022, the car started wobbling so we though it's a wheel alignment issue. Dealer said all 4 tyres are completely bent as shown in the pictures while the threading is intact which proves it's not a wear & tear issue but a manufacturing defect. MRF has rejected our claim & sent the tyres back to the dealer. The claims department is blaming the dealer for selling old tyres, Tata for not replacing the car parts on time and "unequal & excessive contact pressure" which doesn't mean much.

Tried escalating this through Inderjit Cars where the car is regularly serviced. Also through Autocar. Would appreciate TeamBHPians advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Flat-spotting on all 4 MRF tyres-img20220223wa0001.jpg  

Flat-spotting on all 4 MRF tyres-img20220223wa0002.jpg  

Flat-spotting on all 4 MRF tyres-img20220223wa0003.jpg  

Flat-spotting on all 4 MRF tyres-img20220223wa0004.jpg  

abhisheksnayak is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 15:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Flat-spotting on all 4 MRF tyres

It appears to be Flat-Spotting; please let us know to change the title if I have misunderstood.

Have you parked the car for an extended duration? If not, then the chances are that these were stored improperly, maybe in one position for an extended period at the dealership.

You can use these only in the rear and put two newer ones in the front and see if it helps. The manufacturer is correct to refuse the claim as these are past the warranty, and the defect can be due to improper storage.

can look here -

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/.../flat-spotting
Turbanator is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 16:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksnayak View Post

Now in 2022, the car started wobbling so we though it's a wheel alignment issue. Dealer said all 4 tyres are completely bent as shown in the pictures while the threading is intact which proves it's not a wear & tear issue but a manufacturing defect. MRF has rejected our claim & sent the tyres back to the dealer. The claims department is blaming the dealer for selling old tyres, Tata for not replacing the car parts on time and "unequal & excessive contact pressure" which doesn't mean much.

Tried escalating this through Inderjit Cars where the car is regularly serviced. Also through Autocar. Would appreciate TeamBHPians advice.
If I assume that this vehicle has not sat idle for long in your hands - whoever sold you those tyres in the first place was not being entirely nice to you, to put it mildly. This was probably a set of tyres that were from an unsold Hexa that was sitting in their lot for a long time - therefore flat spots , those are usually not manufacturing defects, MRF has probably mentioned it in their warranty policy as well.
Kosfactor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 17:02   #4

Thanks for your feedback kosfactor & turbanator.

Vehicle does 2-3k kms every month & is almost never idle. Can flat-spotting suddenly happen after 35-40k kms.? The wobbling started last week only. Nothing really otherwise past 2 years.

The shop who sold the tyres is known to us past 10-15 years. Maybe they got the tyres from someone else who didn't store properly like you say. Will check.

We'd raised this issue on the MRF website in 2020 & the DM himself convinced us to go ahead with the 2016 manufactured ones. Even Tata workshop said so due to the shortage as old tyres were completely worn out.
abhisheksnayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 17:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can flat-spotting suddenly happen after 35-40k kms.? The wobbling started last week only.
We'd raised this issue on the MRF website in 2020 & the DM himself convinced us to go ahead with the 2016 manufactured ones.
I won't have experience with this; maybe the supported rubber/ threads had gradually turned weak. Did you try asking the same DM, or is he not available? Either way, even under warranty, I don't think you would have got more than 10-20% claim as these guys measure the tread depth at the lowest point; very tricky to get tyre claim.

Please try using the two best ones in the rear and get two fresh and see if that works for you.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st March 2022 at 17:49.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:

Vehicle does 2-3k kms every month & is almost never idle. Can flat-spotting suddenly happen after 35-40k kms.? The wobbling started last week only. Nothing really otherwise past 2 years.
What makes you think there is tyre flat-spotting when there has been no (prolonged) idle parking?

Have you ran your palm/fingers along the tyre circumference and sensed there are high and low spots ?

If yes, it could be tyre-separation phenomenon as a result of manufacturing.

Flat-spotting is not a manufacturing defects per se, if one exists here. It is more of owner operator problem in unduly prolonged idle park imho.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Due to uneven contact with the road , it gets worse over time. If you have got 40K out of this tyre, you could probably get 40% discount on the new set if MRF approves it else just buy a new set from some other manufacturer who has a newer stock. Its a weird tire size for a vehicle of that size unfortunately.
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:03   #8

Thanks all for your feedback.

1. No, the then DM has resigned & moved on. No written proof but verbal assurance of warranty starting in 2020.
2. If this is flat spotting, it's on MRF as our tyre shop has invoice of direct purchase from MRF in Jan 2020. Maybe MRF had not stored the tyres properly for 4 years.
3. Yes, weird tyre size 19". Top end Hexa XT got these then - looks cool but flip side is damn expensive tyres 13k each now & again out of stock. Tata doesn't recommend any other Make for XT.
4. Thread depth is intact. There are high & low spots on all 4 tyres. Difficult to get claim like mentioned. But this can happen again so trying my best to escalate.
abhisheksnayak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Flat-spotting on all 4 MRF tyres

So these (old) new tyres have done 36k, which is quite good. In the given situation where tyres are in short supply, I would say just move on.

Tyre sizes on my cars are very odd, very difficult to source and they don't last this long, may be max 30-35k, so I was actually struggling to understand what's the issue in your case, 36000km would be a dream for me

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:40   #10

Yes, you're right. 36k is normally good but nothing great considering that the original ones lasted 80k.

Differs for Cars & Makes I would think. Our Brio originals (Bridgestone) lasted only 30k.

Main issue is that the tyres look new & good to go for another 36k except for this flat spotting issue so wanted to understand to prevent recurrence.

All 4 new tyres bought - MRF manufactured in 2021. Time to move on I guess.

Spoke to MRF claims guy yesterday who insists this is a wheel alignment- balancing/ mechanical issue, not a manufacturing defect. Also got a call from the current DM today who understood the story & offered to check again.
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:54   #11

Quote:
The claims department is blaming the dealer for selling old tyres, Tata for not replacing the car parts on time and "unequal & excessive contact pressure" which doesn't mean much..
Hi. Soumyadeep is my college friend and this thread has come to his notice. He has spoken to the current DM ( Mr Nilesh Kharade) and he has promised to help.

You can get in touch with him. Hope things get resolved.

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd March 2022 at 19:10. Reason: please quote only relevant portion, Thanks.
rdas81 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 18:51   #12

Thanks man. Small world. Nilesh called me today. Tyres are back with the claims department. Fingers crossed.
abhisheksnayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 06:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So these (old) new tyres have done 36k, which is quite good. In the given situation where tyres are in short supply, I would say just move on.

Tyre sizes on my cars are very odd, very difficult to source and they don't last this long, may be max 30-35k, so I was actually struggling to understand what's the issue in your case, 36000km would be a dream for me

Cheers!
SUV tyres last long. Easily upto 75k to 90k km.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 20:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
SUV tyres last long. Easily upto 75k to 90k km.
I disagree. However, the minimum life can be around 50K. Over and above 50K, it is subjective and based on various factors.
Old 9th March 2022, 21:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I disagree. However, the minimum life can be around 50K. Over and above 50K, it is subjective and based on various factors.
Ok. I shared my experiences. Over 4 SUVs and all of them had run minimum 75k km before a tyre change. The tyres were not completely worn out too. Totally disagree with that magical 50k km max life limit.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks