Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2022, 11:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post

Tyre size of 265/60R18 is relatively easier to source and way cheaper.
Buying a new set of alloys and replacing the exists wheels may be an additional expense. But as you rightly said, if given an option, during the purchase of the new vehicle itself we can opt for tires of desired size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart_mm View Post
Most tyre sellers won't stock sizes suitable for such cars, so we have to order well ahead for tyre replacement.
The waiting periods are quite long for getting tires of odd or rare size. Shop keepers cant be blamed either as these tires move only once in a blue moon, they are not inclined to keep them in stock as it may result in dead investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitjain View Post
While travelling in Punjab, both the right hand side developed side wall cut when it went over potholes. Tried reaching dealership but the tyres gave up about 40 KM from Chandigarh.
You were lucky mate Ofcourse another car for a company is always reassuring. High time Germans come up with India oriented designs which make space for a proper stepney of the same size and not apace savers.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th July 2022 at 12:47. Reason: Please use multi quote. Back to back posts merged. Trimmed quoted posts.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 13:33   #17
BHPian

Re: 285/40 R21 | The Nightmare Tyre Size | Audi Q7

Very interesting thread. Underlines the massive difference between urban and semi-urban India in terms of availability of parts/spares. But most local people are helpful and willing to go an extra mile.

I currently drive the X3 20d and have 19 inch RFT. They are up for replacement in next 2-3 months.

Should I continue with the same tyres or switch to normal tubeless ones ? Kindly suggest which ones are the best. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Old 10th July 2022, 16:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
Very interesting thread. Underlines the massive difference between urban and semi-urban India in terms of availability of parts/spares. But most local people are helpful and willing to go an extra mile.

I currently drive the X3 20d and have 19 inch RFT. They are up for replacement in next 2-3 months.

Should I continue with the same tyres or switch to normal tubeless ones ? Kindly suggest which ones are the best. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
BHPians’ struggles with RFTs have been well documented on the forum, suggest you have a look at this thread => https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...e-upgrade.html (BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade)
Old 10th July 2022, 23:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:

I suggest discussing with renowned tire dealers to ascertain the availability of your desired tires and then take a decision.

Last edited by Gypsian : 10th July 2022 at 23:56.
Old 14th July 2022, 15:31   #20
BHPian

It's good to hear that you finally managed to get your issue resolved by getting the odd sized tyres on the same day.

An e-comm portal shows these tyres are meant for Rolls Royce Drophead.
Attached Thumbnails
285/40 R21 | The Nightmare Tyre Size | Audi Q7-untitled.png  

Old 15th July 2022, 11:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Have you faced any issues with your current RFTs? May I also know the tyre size of the stock tyres?
Old 2nd September 2022, 07:26   #22
BHPian

And this is the major reason I never up sized the tires on my Mercedes GL 350.

It came with 19" 55 profile tires and pretty much ugly rims . And a space saver spare too. However, the thought of getting stranded on 21" tires has always stopped me.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 12:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsian View Post
The protagonist of this story being the Audi Q7 (2016 Model), the pampered baby of our family. Upon purchase the Audi Q7 was delivered with a 255/60 R 18 size wheels. Subsequently after couple of years upon proposal of the Audi service personnel, Bangalore to have a look at the new set of wheels with dimensions 285/40 R21, quite impressed by the looks we had instantly got it replaced.............................

Could the probability of sidewall damage would have reduced if you had stuck to manufacturer recommended sizes?

The default spec 255/60 R18 has 15.3cm if sidewall thickness whereas your upgrade 285/40 R21 has 11.4cm thickness a reduction of 4cm. For Indian roads sidewall thickness is important

Also curious if you have got a space saver now and where have you kept it in the car?

Last edited by ssateesh : 28th February 2024 at 12:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks