Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 21:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Which OEM tyre & battery brands do you prefer for your new commuter car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumer View Post
The car can be used till July '24 in NCR before which I will sell it.
2 years and 15k km is a long distance.

Quote:

The cost difference for 4 tyres is massive. So, should I buy JK/MRF or the likes of go with Kumho, a brand I have no experience with?
If it’s such a massive discount, there are 2 possibilities - either it is a grey market import with limited or no warranty, or it is of very old stock. You can check the tyre’s manufacturing date mentioned as a Week/Year code on the sidewall - like 0622 which indicates 6th week of 2022.

Kumho is a renowned brand around the world and it is Korean…as such if the stock is 6 months old or newer you can go for it, but since yours is a heavy vehicle, just check if it is a dual ply polyester tyre on both tread and sidewall.

Refer this image below - this is a single ply polyester tyre:-
Name:  03D6ABE9BF7F48DE9125C8DD5F148528.jpeg
Views: 820
Size:  30.7 KB

All the Indian companies + Bridgestone, Michelin, GoodYear and Yokohama sell only dual ply polyester tyres for this size (235/65R17) in India which is also fitted on the likes of Scorpio, XUV500/700, etc., but for grey market imports this needs to be verified once because the tyres were likely not intended for the Indian market and was likely re-routed from some other country where road conditions/severity is superior to here.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 21:40   #32
BHPian

Got her new shoes. Goodyear Wranglers. Maybe it's placebo but I feel the ride to be slightly smoother and less road noise
Sumer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 21:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Got her new shoes. Goodyear Wranglers. Maybe it's placebo but I feel the ride to be slightly smoother and less road noise
Hi! Can you share the price you paid?
Old 31st July 2022, 17:00   #34

I have a vento TSI 2015 model. The stock tyres are from Goodyear (185/60 R15). It's been 6.5 years now and the car has run 45k kms.

Recently, one of the tyres got damaged. I am no expert on tyres, however the tread pattern on the remaining tyres doesn't look that worn out. The person at the tyre alignment centre said the tyres could be run for another 5-6k kms.

Please note that punctures have been pretty common in all these years and 2 of the tyres are with tube due to multiple punctures.

Please advise on the replacement. I have the following options:
Option 1: Replace the damaged tyre with a second hand tyre from the same brand and same model. Replace all the four tyres together with new ones at a later time
Option 2: Replace the damaged tyre with a new one from a different brand and later replace rest of them with the same. I understand that even though dimensions would be the same, tread pattern would not be. So, is it ok to have this imbalance for another 5-6k kms until all of them are replaced?
Option 3: Similar to option 2, but replace 2 tyres on the same axle with new ones now and replace other 2 later.
Option 4: Replace all tyres with new ones considering that they have run 45k kms, have encountered multiple punctures and 2 of them are with tube.

Thanks.

Last edited by Gurudeep BN : 31st July 2022 at 17:04. Reason: Correction in tyre dimension
Gurudeep BN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 17:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudeep BN View Post
I have a vento TSI 2015 model. The stock tyres are from Goodyear (185/60 R15). It's been 6.5 years now and the car has run 45k kms.

Recently, one of the tyres got damaged. I am no expert on tyres, however the tread pattern on the remaining tyres doesn't look that worn out. The person at the tyre alignment centre said the tyres could be run for another 5-6k kms.

Please note that punctures have been pretty common in all these years and 2 of the tyres are with tube due to multiple punctures.

Option 1: Replace the damaged tyre with a second hand tyre from the same brand and same model. Replace all the four tyres together with new ones at a later time
Option 2: Replace the damaged tyre with a new one from a different brand and later replace rest of them with the same. I understand that even though dimensions would be the same, tread pattern would not be. So, is it ok to have this imbalance for another 5-6k kms until all of them are replaced?
Option 3: Similar to option 2, but replace 2 tyres on the same axle with new ones now and replace other 2 later.
Option 4: Replace all tyres with new ones considering that they have run 45k kms, have encountered multiple punctures and 2 of them are with tube.

Thanks.
Hello! First of all, running tubeless tyres with tubes in them is a big no-no - they are ticking bombs and can give up on you anytime. Next, 6-7 years is the absolute max life for any tyres regardless of the tread depth. I would suggest that you go with option 4 asap. You can consider an upsize to 185/65R15 or 195/60R15.

Also I recommend that next time you get a puncture, go to an MRF T&S store and ask for a mushroom repair - that’s a permanent fix, costs around 200 rupees - amd will prevent repeat issues

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 31st July 2022 at 17:22. Reason: Added info on punctures
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 17:47   #36
BHPian

My Innova Crysta delivered a month and a half ago came with Bridgestone tyres and Exide battery which I find good combination.My earlier Honda City came with Michelins and Amaron battery.The Suzuki Swift also came with Amaron battery but this battery gave me a lot of trouble.So for the next change of battery I went in for Exide…
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:40   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I prefer Nokian. It is a Finnish brand (not very popular) and they make some excellent tyres for summer/winter/all season for various class of cars. I find them good qua road noise, efficiency and wet grip.
Interestingly, Nokian is Nokia's arm that manufactures rubber products including tyres and gumboots. I believe their tyre business started around 1930s. Overall, an excellent winter tyre.
Satdeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 00:33   #38

Thanks for the sugestion.

I have gone through various threads here on team-bhp for the suitable tires for my car. Based on this, I have narrowed down my options to the below:

Yokohoma BlueEarth GT AE51
Continental CC6

Note:
- I did come across couple of reviews on sidewall damage with Yokohoma BlueEarth AE50 (older model). However, there are not many reviews for Yokohoma BlueEarth GT AE51
- I read here that Continental CC series tires require careful monitoring of air pressure to ensure that they are not low even slightly.

Please advise.
Gurudeep BN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:05   #39

Quote:

Thanks.
I have decided to replace all 4 tyres.

I have gone through various threads here on team-bhp for the suitable tyres for my car. Based on this, I have narrowed down my options to the below:

Yokohoma BlueEarth GT AE51
Continental CC6

Note:
- I did come across couple of reviews on sidewall damage with Yokohoma BlueEarth AE50 (older model). However, there are not many reviews for Yokohoma BlueEarth GT AE51
- I read here that Continental CC series tyres require careful monitoring of air pressure to ensure that they are not low even slightly.

Please advise.
Old 28th September 2022, 09:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
To me, option 2 and option 3 seem like a reasonable choice. Having different treads on the same axle isn't necessarily bad for dry grip and braking. But it wouldn't be wise to expect the same wet performance - the net moment force due to the water escaping differently through the different treads would cause a slight imbalance. On regular highway speeds this moment force should not be large enough to cause any unnerving handling. But better be safe than sorry!

I would rather pick option 3 than option 2 though. The tyre forces on an axle should ideally be balanced. Moreover, this also makes sure that you don't have uneven tread wear on the same axle.

I wouldn't think of replacing all four tyres yet. The rear tyres have ~5k life left in them (I'm assuming here its a conservative estimate). As long as two tyres on the same axle behave similarly, there shouldn't be an issue. If your mileage is average, that 5k kms would mean close to six months. I'd suggest wait for six months to replace the rear tyres, unless money is not a factor. This option also gives you some breathing room to upgrade to better tyres (Conti UC6 or Michelin Primacy come to mind).

Last edited by vedirah : 28th September 2022 at 09:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks