Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2008, 18:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Are both tyres of the same size? I can see some difference in the area above the bead.

And AFAIK the main difference between the construction of both is the bead which helps with the tyre having better adhesion to the mounting lip of the wheel.
Old 29th July 2008, 18:43   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Well said, Zappo! There is also a possibility of customers being taken for a ride becuase of the cost advantage: a tubeless tyre costs much more than the tubed version. For instance, a Bridgestone tubeless tyre for a WagonR costs around Rs 2100, whereas at tube type tyre costs Rs 2000, which includes the cost of the tube. Without the tube, the cost is only Rs 1800, giving the dealer a margin of Rs 300 per tyre.
So for all those who are buying tubeless tyres, please examine the tyre minutely before delivery and make sure it is indeed tubeless. Also ensure that it is of recent make.
Guys as of i know tubeless tyres are 70-80 Rs cheaper on small sizes and around 300Rs on a bigger size. You can make a tubeless tyre to a tube type but tube type shouldnt be used as tubeless.
Old 29th July 2008, 20:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Are both tyres of the same size? I can see some difference in the area above the bead.

And AFAIK the main difference between the construction of both is the bead which helps with the tyre having better adhesion to the mounting lip of the wheel.
Yes The tubeless is a Ducaro GA of size 195/60/R14 and the tubetype one is 175/65/R14.

There are low profile tyres which have a diff "hump" just below the mounting bead.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:37   #49
BHPian

Tyre Pressure

Hi All,

I wanted to ask a question regarding tyre pressures for Tubed tyres & Tubless tyres.

I recently bought Hyundai Gaetz 1.3 GLS.
It came with GoodYear GPS2 175/70 R13 Tubed tyres. The tyre pressure required to be maintained for 2 ppl is 30psi & full load is 33psi.
I changed to Alloys & Michelin XM1 185/70 R13 Tubeless tyres. The car is generally used for 2 ppl so filled in pressure of 30psi. However I am getting a bumpy ride which seems that the tyres are over-inflated which will reduce tyre life & braking efficiency( especially in wet conditions).

Can the gurus please help me and let me know what pressure has to be kept in both conditions ie. for 2 ppl & for full load?
Old 31st July 2008, 10:57   #50
BHPian

Maybe you could try lowering it to 28 psi on all 4 tyres.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:15   #51
Team-BHP Support

Its dangerous to underinflate tires.
In city always use recommended air pressure, and on highway use 2-3PSI more than recommended.
Old 31st July 2008, 14:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

If you find the ride bumpy, reduce the pressure by 2 psi & see if that smoothens the ride. If you're happy maintain that presssure!
Old 1st August 2008, 05:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

So , i would better put the tubes back into the tubetype Goodyear GPS2 tires.
Old 1st August 2008, 08:37   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its dangerous to underinflate tires.
In city always use recommended air pressure, and on highway use 2-3PSI more than recommended.
Sir, If you underinflate tyres, by a psi or 2, atmost you will have more tyre wear.

Also, on track, you overinflate by a psi or 2 to take care of the hard cornering issues.

Else Normal PSI recommended is the best!

One does not overinflate for highway use! The ride becomes bouncy

Last edited by headers : 1st August 2008 at 08:38.
Old 6th October 2014, 18:21   #55
BHPian

Re: Tube-type to Tubeless conversion?!

Reviving this old thread.
Those who have added tube to their tubeless tyres - did you find any issue?

I have this strange issue with stock tyres (JK 165/80-14)

On right-front tyre, there was a leak happening at the same place where the puncture was already fixed with plug. So the puncture guy suggested applying patch inside of tyre. On opening up the tyre he said the tyre is bad and recommended adding a tube. A tube was added. It ran for two days and on third day its gone flat. Seems the valve base is out; yet to confirm this.

I took the spare out (tubeless). Spare tyre too has mild leak in place where punture was already fixed with plug. But I just filled up air and reached home.
Took the spare tyre to different tyre-guy. Here too the same story. After opening up inside seems not good and added tube.
Ran for around 4kms and came back home. It was okay when I left and the next morning when I saw it, its completely flat. If its tube type, when there is puncture it should lose air immediately. But this isn't the case.

What could be the reason for this strange behaviour? Anyone faced similar issue?

PS: The plug puncture fix for tubless tyre is always temporary only. Learnt it hard way.
Old 8th October 2014, 13:15   #56
BHPian

Re: Tube-type to Tubeless conversion?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Reviving this old thread.
Those who have added tube to their tubeless tyres - did you find any issue?
Firstly, adding a tube should be done as a last resort as there is one too many reasons to not add a tube to a tyre that has been designed by the manufacturer to run tubeless.
That said, you may find yourself in a position where a replacement tyre is unavailable or simply that you are not carrying as much cash at the moment.
In this case a tube does work for a temporary solution. Care should be taken in selecting the right size of tube. Most 'tyre-wallas' in India are so extraordinarily stupid that it is truly hard to believe their propensity for insanity.
Furthermore, a cut piece of another tube should be used to internally patch the area of the puncture and even previous repairs made to the tyre else they will rub with the tube on the inside and certainly tear the tube in a relatively short time-frame (few days).
Another Tidbit: The tube in a tubeless tyre 'jugad' is actually illegal in most developed countries and will even void any vehicle or life insurance claims made in the event of a mishap.

Quote:
I have this strange issue with stock tyres (JK 165/80-14)

On right-front tyre, there was a leak happening at the same place where the puncture was already fixed with plug. So the puncture guy suggested applying patch inside of tyre. On opening up the tyre he said the tyre is bad and recommended adding a tube. A tube was added. It ran for two days and on third day its gone flat. Seems the valve base is out; yet to confirm this.

I took the spare out (tubeless). Spare tyre too has mild leak in place where punture was already fixed with plug. But I just filled up air and reached home.
Took the spare tyre to different tyre-guy. Here too the same story. After opening up inside seems not good and added tube.
Ran for around 4kms and came back home. It was okay when I left and the next morning when I saw it, its completely flat. If its tube type, when there is puncture it should lose air immediately. But this isn't the case.

What could be the reason for this strange behaviour? Anyone faced similar issue?
Again, the issues you have faced are likely caused by the wrong tube size or simply due to poor repair work.

Quote:
PS: The plug puncture fix for tubless tyre is always temporary only. Learnt it hard way.
Most certainly not, a proper puncture fix will easily last the life of the tyre without causing any grief.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks