Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I'm really confused, and I wonder how the hell he inflated the tires without the tube!! Where was the VALVE man?!!!!

When one fits a tubeless tyre on a rim one adds what in desi language is called "nalki".

This is similar to the valve for filling air in a tube EXCEPT in this case this valve is fitted onto the opening in the rims & is a permanent fixture, it can only be removed by cutting it off.

So basically the valve has to be fitted onto the rim to fill air to run tubeless tyres . This is the same valve whichis used on alloys.

Cheers
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:41   #32
BHPian

higuys just wanted to know:-
- is there any solution/beading done for tubeless tires for it to stop from air loss? somthing like e rubber cement? i had heard about it in us as my uncle has got e merc ml350 and he was saying that they put a solution/bead on the edge of the tyre before mounting it on the rim!
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:37   #33
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...onversion.html
This was the thread which touches upon this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesai_1981 View Post
higuys just wanted to know:-
- is there any solution/beading done for tubeless tires for it to stop from air loss? somthing like e rubber cement? i had heard about it in us as my uncle has got e merc ml350 and he was saying that they put a solution/bead on the edge of the tyre before mounting it on the rim!
thats for lubrication, not cementing. The sidewall and mounting beading is very stiff in a tubeless as compared to tube type

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd July 2008 at 10:38.
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Most of tyres seen by me have markings as either as 'TUBETYPE' or as 'TUBELESS'. I guess as side plastic was not removed, this would have got overlooked.
I would not run new tyres with side shrink-wrap plastic as I love to see dark black sidewalls of new tyres.

Right, my Ikon came with 5 MRF ZVTS's. The fifth one, spare, looked exactly similar to the rest, but did not have a small "tubeless" mentioned in its sidewall. Very easy to overlook.
Old 22nd July 2008, 11:13   #35
BHPian

I had the experience while i was getting the tyre changed for my Santro. I was planning to go for tube tyres since i travel to Coorg every weekend and it is difficult to find pucture shops with capability of fixing ppunctures of tubeless tyres.
The guy had completed fixing 1 tyre and had removed all 4 wheels from the rim and when i closely look at the tyres it was mentioned tubeless. He had shown me the tube type tyres while i had finalised on the buy. When asked he says " It doesn't make any difference and there is no difference beetween tube type and tubeless typer tyres" When i asked him to remove the tyre and fix my old ones he was even ready to give some discounts. Ultimately i walked out and got the tyres fixed in a different shop.
Old 22nd July 2008, 11:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this. Good that you noticed and changed the tyres. Well since the dealer was ready to 'junk' the 100kms run tyres, you could have picked them up say for 100 bucks. Did you try this? I think he will not do that. Anyway enjoy the new tyres. the valves have to be cut off to be removed and cannot be reused. I am not sure if there is another way around.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:00   #37
BHPian

In the case of companies like Bridgestone and Goodyear in India, thier tube type tyres can be used as tubeless tyres. The oveall construction of the tyres which in the intial stage of production is known as a green tyre remains the same. The downside being that you would need to check air pressure more frequently vis a vis tubeless tyres due to the absence of the inner lining present inside the tubeless tyres.

Hemant,He was not entirely wrong in saying that the tubeless tyres would work fine with tubes inside them.In putting tubes inside tubeless tyres he was not compromising your safety or the life of the tyre in any manner. The diffrence between tubetype and tubeless tyres is the halo-butyl lining inside the tubeless tyres that prevents air from bleeding/permeating through the rubber over a period of time.
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
One question. When you drove out from the dealer in the thought that you were on tubeless tyres, you said it felt great, but when you drove back in the knowledge that you were running tube-tyres in tubeless mode, how did it feel?
Not very good, owing to mental tension (owing to lack of knowledge). In fact, I left the car in the office and returned by MMTS train, as it was too late to go to the dealer.
I took the car only the next evening to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What is tubeless mode? How to check if the tyre is tubed or tubeless?
Well, Bridgestone tyres have it written over the side walls as either 'Tube Type' or 'Tubeless'. I'm not aware of other brands. By tubeless mode, I meant running tube type tyres without tubes.

Quote:
I'm really confused, and I wonder how the hell he inflated the tires without the tube!! Where was the VALVE man?!!!!
The total bill of 9500 included 4 stems of Rs 100 each.

Last edited by vnabhi : 22nd July 2008 at 13:22.
Old 26th July 2008, 00:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What is tubeless mode? How to check if the tyre is tubed or tubeless?
Its clearly written on tyre.
Tube-type to Tubeless conversion?!-tyre.jpg

Quote:
Rubber nozzle is fitted on alloy or steel rim.
Check the image above, the blue thingy.
Tube-type to Tubeless conversion?!-tubelesstyrevalve.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Most of tyres seen by me have markings as either as 'TUBETYPE' or as 'TUBELESS'. I guess as side plastic was not removed, this would have got overlooked.
I would not run new tyres with side shrink-wrap plastic as I love to see dark black sidewalls of new tyres.
Everybody removes the plastic wrap. How will the wheel fit if its not remove.
Old 27th July 2008, 11:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yikes , I am using the tubetype Goodyear GPS2 tire as tubeless with new set of alloys. The tire dealer said , there are no problems in using like that and he has fitted it for many cars.
Old 28th July 2008, 22:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Yikes , I am using the tubetype Goodyear GPS2 tire as tubeless with new set of alloys. The tire dealer said , there are no problems in using like that and he has fitted it for many cars.
There has to be a difference in both type of tyres. The type is written on the sidewall. Why would any company have different moulds if there is no difference. Some dealers will tell us any stupid thing in a very professional manner to make sales. On the contrary our regular tyre dealership told us this same thing as tsk1979 quotes, and never advises using tube type as tubeless -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The sidewall and mounting beading is very stiff in a tubeless as compared to tube type
Old 28th July 2008, 23:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Some dealers will tell us any stupid thing in a very professional manner to make sales.
Why does everyone think that most dealers are out there trying to sell everything and anything under false claims ?? Es in the case of tyres it is a financial loss to have to take back a tyre that has been mounted on a rim and used on tarmac. Not to add the loss of a customer and the bad mouth publicity that comes with it. A dealer will recommend you something based on his knowledge of the product and it's working and most times it is done after due consultation with the reps of the manufacturer company.
Old 29th July 2008, 00:49   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
A dealer will recommend you something based on his knowledge of the product and it's working and most times it is done after due consultation with the reps of the manufacturer company.
Are you suggesting that the Tyre companies are ok with the fact that their tubed tyres are being used as tubeless tyres? I have doubts about it simply because of the fact that no company would like to get into a mess where someone used their tubed tyres as tubeless and then on a hard cornering lost the air pressure and tumbled. And irrespective of what the tyre dealer says this possibility can not be negated totally. I also fail to see why someone would like to take all these risks and hassles when all it takes is to buy proper tubeless tyres and use those!
Old 29th July 2008, 13:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Are you suggesting that the Tyre companies are ok with the fact that their tubed tyres are being used as tubeless tyres? I have doubts about it simply because of the fact that no company would like to get into a mess where someone used their tubed tyres as tubeless and then on a hard cornering lost the air pressure and tumbled. And irrespective of what the tyre dealer says this possibility can not be negated totally. I also fail to see why someone would like to take all these risks and hassles when all it takes is to buy proper tubeless tyres and use those!
Well said, Zappo! There is also a possibility of customers being taken for a ride becuase of the cost advantage: a tubeless tyre costs much more than the tubed version. For instance, a Bridgestone tubeless tyre for a WagonR costs around Rs 2100, whereas at tube type tyre costs Rs 2000, which includes the cost of the tube. Without the tube, the cost is only Rs 1800, giving the dealer a margin of Rs 300 per tyre.
So for all those who are buying tubeless tyres, please examine the tyre minutely before delivery and make sure it is indeed tubeless. Also ensure that it is of recent make.
Old 29th July 2008, 16:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I have doubts about it simply because of the fact that no company would like to get into a mess where someone used their tubed tyres as tubeless and then on a hard cornering lost the air pressure and tumbled.
Zappo tubeless tyres do not hold onto the rims they are mounted onto due to thier construction or design. It's the air pressure contained within the walls of the tyre which ensures it. As you would agree in the case of tube type tyres it's the air pressure inside the tube which does the job. Any tyre irrespective of it being tube-type or tubeless will dismount from the wheel rim if run in an underinflated condition for long, or as you say under hard cornering. And yes I am saying that it is the company guys who give a go ahead for using tubetype tyres even as tubeless ones. I'm putting up a set of pics of both kinds of tyres, you can see for yourself that there is no inherent diffrence in the construction of tyres except for the finish of the product.
Attached Thumbnails
Tube-type to Tubeless conversion?!-p1040333.jpg  

Tube-type to Tubeless conversion?!-p1040336.jpg  

Tube-type to Tubeless conversion?!-p1040337.jpg  

Tube-type to Tubeless conversion?!-p1040339.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks