Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 23:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ran tube type tyres on tubeless mode for 100 kms

I know this may sound stupid, but this happened by sheer accident.

My WagonR was entering its 7th birthday this month, and the stock Bridgestone S322 had already trudged 46.5 k on the odo. Although the tread still seemede to be ok, the grip was not encouraging, and monsoons had me a tad apprehensive. I was debating on running those tyres till 50 K, but frequent punctures on the left rear wheel put me off, despite changing the tube a couple of months ago.

Finally, I decided to change the footwear. I was in a dilemma whether to change to tubeless, or continue with tube type. I was very happy with the stock tyres, because I did not have a single puncture for 41 K on the odo. It was only after I boasted about this achievement on this forum that the punctures started . I had around 5 in the past one year, of which 3 were on the left rear wheel.

My research into this forum had me more confused at the end, as I was running on steel wheels, and did not want to upgrade to alloys at this stage. However, I was convinced after talking to a couple of members of this forum and decided to go in for tubeless. I chose Bridgestone because of reasons I've already mentioned, and went to a dealer recommended by a member. I paid 9500/- for 4 tubeless tyres, which included balancing and alignment. The dealer also ripped the plastic covering to show they were of 2008 make.

After driving off, I found a fabulous improvement in ride quality. I also drove all the way to Shamshabad airport to test if there was improvement in speed and grip, and there was indeed! But on the next day, when the car washer was doing his job, I asked him to peel off the plastic on the side, and guess what---they were the same S322 tube type tyres! I was kind of perplexed on how the car ran so smoothly without tubes. I immediately called the dealer, and he asked me to take the car to him. On inspecting the tyres, he owned up and changed all 4 to Bridgestone Turanza tubeless. Phew, what a mistake that was! I wonder what he did with those tube type tyres that had run 100 kms in 2 days. He said he would discard them.
I was wondering if anyone else was aware that tube type tyres can run without tubes. Someone said that I'd be stranded if those tyres got punctured. What say, guys?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2008, 23:37   #17
BHPian

vnabhi, Interesting, very very interesting.

I've ran tubeless tyres in "tube" mode.
But never heard it can be done the other way around.

Wow its amazing that you did.

tubeless tyre has an inner lining that helps to keep the airtight seal and from what i read it has a sturdier sidewall.

any pics ?
Old 21st July 2008, 23:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hahahahha! He said he'd discard them & you believed him?? He's just going to sell them to another unsuspecting customer. No dealer is going to "discard" tyres used by a customer for 100 kms. especially when he sold you tube types while claiming they were tubeless types.

But one question, what do you mean by ripping off the side plastic?? Didn't the dealer rip off all the plastic covering before fitting the tyres?
Old 21st July 2008, 23:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Some were ripped off,especially the portion that touches the road, but the side pieces were left intact, perhaps inadvertently,and I did not bother to rip those off.
I guess this is a good lesson to all of us. We need to rip off all the plastic and make sure we go the tyres we paid for, not just the paper receipt.
Old 21st July 2008, 23:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

check out the similar threads at the bottom. I'm sure you'll find them relevant
Old 21st July 2008, 23:53   #21
BHPian

It is quiet interesting to read through !! bro, what did the dealer do for the valve and stem for your tube typed tyre ?
Old 21st July 2008, 23:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
It is quiet interesting to read through !! bro, what did the dealer do for the valve and stem for your tube typed tyre ?
While fitting the tube-type tyres, he inserted new valves and stems that are needed for tubeless tyres. He put new ones again on the Turanza tyres. I am not sure what he did to the 2-day old stems, but I saw him picking them up. I believe they cost Rs 100 each.
Old 22nd July 2008, 00:47   #23
Team-BHP Support

Many people "convert" tube type tires to tubeless like this to save money. Its dangerous, because in case of cornering, this contraption will lose air quickly may lead to overturning of vehicle.
Old 22nd July 2008, 01:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree with ishan. I think you need to go back and sock it back to the dealer.

Like tsk says, it is good that you escaped unhurt. Traffic speeds like crazy around RGIA.
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

OMG! how can an established dealer make such mistake. BTW Turanza is also the oem of BMW india.

BTW may I know the dealer name?
Thanks
Old 22nd July 2008, 03:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

It only ran fine because the ribs were brand new. I guess a couple of hard cornering manouvres and you would be loosing air fast. Although I doubt any damage would have been done to the tubed tyres in just the 100kms.

One question. When you drove out from the dealer in the thought that you were on tubeless tyres, you said it felt great, but when you drove back in the knowledge that you were running tube-tyres in tubeless mode, how did it feel?
Old 22nd July 2008, 08:01   #27
BANNED

What is tubeless mode? How to check if the tyre is tubed or tubeless?
Old 22nd July 2008, 08:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

I'm really confused, and I wonder how the hell he inflated the tires without the tube!! Where was the VALVE man?!!!!
Old 22nd July 2008, 08:41   #29
Team-BHP Support

For tubeless mode.. Look at this thread. Even I was sort of speechless for a while, till I saw the contraption.
Any tube type tire can be made tubeless, but on cornering you can lose pressure, and this can lead to a rollover.
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Most of tyres seen by me have markings as either as 'TUBETYPE' or as 'TUBELESS'. I guess as side plastic was not removed, this would have got overlooked.
I would not run new tyres with side shrink-wrap plastic as I love to see dark black sidewalls of new tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks