Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2023, 10:40   #1
BHPian

AT Tyres for Tata Harrier

Hello! I've booked the Harrier XZA+ and the delivery is expected next week. I'd like to change the tyres when they're new. This variant of the Harrier comes with 235/60/R18 alloys.

My use is mostly highway driving but for my work I also need to drive on jungle trails, beaches and unpaved roads (75% highway, 25% rest). I also have an upcoming trip from Mumbai to Ladakh this June. For these reasons, I wanted to switch to All Terrain tyres.

From reading other threads, the most common choices (HT/AT) for the Harrier are:

Continental ContiCrossContact LX2
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
BFG T/A KO2
Bridgestone Dueler D684
Michelin Primacy SUV+

But these are either not available in 18" or not in stock. What are my options? Any help is much appreciated.
911er is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 11:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: AT Tyres for Tata Harrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post

BFG T/A KO2
Bridgestone Dueler D684
Michelin Primacy SUV+

But these are either not available in 18" or not in stock. What are my options? Any help is much appreciated.
I am not sure if its available in your Harrier's size but do try Michelin LTX Force.
I have been using them from past 5 years now, done 68k kms which included Ladakh drive and multiple number of HP/UK drives. Not a single puncture. Still have grip and can survive another 20k kms easily.

But since its 5 years now hence I am planning to change to new set. For this I am now considering Apollo Apterra AT2. Reviews are good. You can look at them too.
Old 18th May 2023, 11:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I am not sure if its available in your Harrier's size but do try Michelin LTX Force.
Thank you. Just checked, unfortunately those aren't available in 18". About the Apollo Apterra AT2, please check threads here for a review. Not everyone had good things to say about them.
Old 18th May 2023, 12:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Just checked, unfortunately those aren't available in 18". About the Apollo Apterra AT2, please check threads here for a review. Not everyone had good things to say about them.
Is it? Can you guide me to those threads if possible?
Old 18th May 2023, 12:56   #5
BHPian

I guess this thread can help you.

SUV tyres for Indian Roads - Poll
Old 19th May 2023, 10:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Is it? Can you guide me to those threads if possible?
A good jump off point is the thread GhostGrid shared above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGrid View Post
I guess this thread can help you.

SUV tyres for Indian Roads - Poll
Thank you! I've read through it and that's where I got most of the recommendations from. The problem with many is that they're not in stock or unavailable in the size.
Old 19th May 2023, 11:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A good jump off point is the thread GhostGrid shared above.
Yes, went through that thread and didn't find any complains regarding AT2. In fact a member here has done 30k+ kms on them, twice to Ladakh on it and he is very happy with them.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 19th May 2023 at 16:00. Reason: Broken quote tags
Old 19th May 2023, 11:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The problem with many is that they're not in stock or unavailable in the size.
I would suggest you check if Continental ContiCrossContact LX2 or Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 are available in your city; if not, then ask any dealer if they can bring them in 20 days or in a month. One of my friends did the same and got the Conti LX2 in 25 days from a Yokohama dealer.

I have checked in Tyremarket as well, but except for Michelin Primacy, none is available.
GhostGrid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 18:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
My use is mostly highway driving but for my work I also need to drive on jungle trails, beaches and unpaved roads (75% highway, 25% rest). I also have an upcoming trip from Mumbai to Ladakh this June. For these reasons, I wanted to switch to All Terrain tyres.

BFG T/A KO2
Bridgestone Dueler D684
Michelin Primacy SUV+

Please don't take your Harrier onto beaches, you'll end up stuck and in need of recovery. It is not recommended even for 4*4s to venture out onto soft sand without proper recovery equipment.

Coming to choice of tyres, I would recommend BF Goodrich followed by Continental. Would also recommend that you downsize to 17" wheels - which will allow you wider choices & higher profile would mean better cushioning off the road.
Old 19th May 2023, 19:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGrid View Post
I would suggest you check if Continental ContiCrossContact LX2 or Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 are available in your city; if not, then ask any dealer if they can bring them in 20 days or in a month. One of my friends did the same and got the Conti LX2 in 25 days from a Yokohama dealer.

I have checked in Tyremarket as well, but except for Michelin Primacy, none is available.
I still have a couple of days to delivery so I'll roam around the city to see what tyres are available. As a worst case, I'll probably downsize to 17" as Geo_Ipe too suggested. However this is a last resort option for me. Thank you for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Please don't take your Harrier onto beaches, you'll end up stuck and in need of recovery. It is not recommended even for 4*4s to venture out onto soft sand without proper recovery equipment.

Coming to choice of tyres, I would recommend BF Goodrich followed by Continental. Would also recommend that you downsize to 17" wheels - which will allow you wider choices & higher profile would mean better cushioning off the road.
No, not on soft sand at all. A few of our field stations in southern Maharashtra are accessible only from the beach so there's no choice there otherwise it's not something I ever do.

I think your recommendation of downsizing is what I might end up doing, though it's my last resort option for now. Thank you for the help.
911er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 11:55   #11
BHPian

I have a Safari 2021 XMA AT. I upgraded to 235/65 R17 with after market alloys and good year triple max. Tyres were not up to the mark and I changed to Michelin Primacy SUV+ after 35000 kms. Michelin is way more silent, comfortable with less rolling resistance and brakes are more gripping. However, the biggest downside is that the car starts pulling to the left. I have tried everything known and had TASS replace the steering assembly under warranty but the problem remains. I really don't know if there is any link but I'm just waiting for the Michelins to wear out and change to some other brand to confirm if there is a link.
Old 20th May 2023, 12:45   #12
BHPian

you should try the Wrangler Series of GoodYear. I generally do not recommend Goodyear, I have had bad experience with them too but quite amazed with my present set. They don't burst, not prone to punctures! I have covered close to 35,000km and its at half life. I do a lot of triple digits and my use case has been on unpaved surfaces, off road spots etc. I have them on my yeti. They will be cheap and I have seen them on many fortunes, dusters, and pajero too. Only downside being, they tend to be a bit noisy but that this a typical AT tyre characterisitic
Old 20th May 2023, 22:06   #13
BHPian

Hi,
I would recommend Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015. It is relatively silent on road & good off the road.
Bridgestone sidewalls are not that good and would pop-out when driven deflated depending on the terrain.
Michelin is very silent, good for sands and might get damaged with hard terrain.
Wish you happy motoring! Good Luck.
The above is from my off-road experience.....
cheers
Old 20th May 2023, 23:17   #14
BHPian

Was in the same dilemma some time ago, will write a full review at right time and tread (about my choice), have used geolanders on my thar and was satisfied except that the mileage was very less and it was prone to punctures. Road noise was not much and had excellent grip for AT, (please note they are not like advan but good for the use it’s designed for)

Had Bridgestone duellers HT on Fortuner , decent for mild off road use, have done gravel sand and water crossings though being an HT the vehicle got stuck only once in mud but was brilliant on the road. Have done 50k before the change.

Personally never had bf Goodrich tyres but friends pajero runs on them, they are good nothing exceptional (on road) to pay the kind of money we need to spend on it, also it is very very noisy. If you are not an off road enthusiast the tyres are an overkill.

Would suggest in no particular order
Michelin ltx trail if you get warranty
Geolanders ( apparently new g015 are very good I have heard with decent side walls)
Good year wrangler silent Trac ( decent reviews ) also comes with 3 year warranty
Continental cross contact
Finally if you are adventurous you can try verdestein Pinza

PS . Was lucky enough to have people around with above mentioned tyres (except Pinza at) so was able to test them before buying and with warranty cost and usage in mind I chose good year silentrac
Old 21st May 2023, 00:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hello! I've booked the Harrier XZA+ and the delivery is expected next week. I'd like to change the tyres when they're new. This variant of the Harrier comes with 235/60/R18 alloys.

From reading other threads, the most common choices (HT/AT) for the Harrier are:

BFG T/A KO2
Bridgestone Dueler D684
Michelin Primacy SUV+

Hey buddy,

I suggest you go for Apollo Apterra At2 or BFG T/A KO2. Have been using Apollo and they have covered approximately a lakh kms in my Terrano without any issues and as for BFGs, the review has always been good from all the off-road buddies. Would suggest you stay away from Yokohama Geolanders as they are prone to sidewall failures and punctures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks