Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2023, 18:42   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)
Soft compound, not-long lasting low mileage tyres?

Hello Folks, I am in for some consensus and advice about the title. To sum up my requirement in short. I have a Santro Xing with set of old Falken tyres. They are just about 18 thousand old but they are shot due to age, being dried out and brittleness as the car have not been moved for past 6 years.
I am on a slow project of recovery & restoration of a car that was bought in January 2011 and hasn't seen any action since mid 2017 and just about standing as brand new; so she is a keeper but needs to move on real tyres. Santro isn't really known for stopping on a dime or a road ripper but I just need to have her reasonably fast running for intercity travels.
Assuming she lives for another 10 years, she isn't going to be driven more than 60 grand at best so I am not looking for high mileage compound as I will likely change the set again in 5 years. So I am looking for tyres that have softest sidewalls or compound for a laidback but very comfortable cruise on paved highway. I don't have any in-city road issues either.
My city do not have multi-brand outlets like in Metros town and on spot comparison is not really possible. Request BHPians for their inputs and recommendations so I am able to order a set, online. Any additional inputs for my requirement? Please feel free to ask.
Old 19th September 2023, 00:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Soft compound, not-long lasting low mileage tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHermit View Post
Assuming she lives for another 10 years, she isn't going to be driven more than 60 grand at best so I am not looking for high mileage compound as I will likely change the set again in 5 years. So I am looking for tyres that have softest sidewalls or compound for a laidback but very comfortable cruise on paved highway.
The most comfortable tyres that I bought for our Santro Xing (2008) were Michelin XM2. Look no further.

The best tyres for all round performance for that car were stock Bridgestone, but XM2 beat them on smoothness.

Please note, in Delhi, your car (Delhi Registered) will be picked up from the road after completing 15 years, no matter how good the condition is.
MT_Hyderabad is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 00:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. So I am looking for tyres that have softest sidewalls or compound for a laidback but very comfortable cruise on paved highway. I don't have any in-city road issues either.
You are overanalysing this. Among the choices offered by the dealer, go for the mid-priced offering. As with anything (eg: smartphone), mid-priced offerings give you above average features or characteristics. Such a tyre will give you acceptable ride, handling, wet grip, tyre noise and longevity.

How the ride quality feels mostly comes from the suspension and accuracy of wheel alignment. It is unlikely you will notice much difference in ride quality between brand/model X and brand/model Y on a Santro. Maintaining 30 psi should give you relatively soft ride.

Last edited by SmartCat : 19th September 2023 at 01:19.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 02:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Being the owner of a 2004 WagonR that has completed 2.5 lac kms which I’d say is a similar car to the Santro, I agree that you are overanalysing this. Firstly no one makes soft compound performance tyres in the size that is appropriate for the Santro. Secondly even if they did, the limitations in terms of mechanical grip on offer from a Santro’s chassis will not allow you to take advantage of such tyres. Go for Michelin XM2 or Continental CC6 I have used both amongst sets of many other tyres (including a set of Potenzas back in the day when they were available in this size) and these are the two I’d recommend regardless of whether they are marketed as tyres that promote efficiency.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th September 2023 at 02:38.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 08:42   #5
BHPian

I have a 2008 Santro that barely does 200 kms a month. My 4.5 years old tyres are going hard due to lack of use. My tyre dealer, various puncture wallas all have the same comment : Nowadays tyres go hard in 2 years. Yours have held up well because they are Continentals.

I plan to keep the car for another 4.5 years. I am being advised to go in for high silica compound tyres. Only Continental tyres are being recommended.
Old 19th September 2023, 09:15   #6
BHPian

Go for the yokohama earth 1 tyres. Even my verna, having the same set, had low running and it lasted 6.5 years when the usage increased gradually.
And why you want to buy online? You live in Delhi, lots of tyre shops in every corner.
Also, mostly they sell old tyres online so you will be getting old tyres which will again dry out early.
Old 20th September 2023, 15:46   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The most comfortable tyres that I bought for our Santro Xing (2008) were Michelin XM2. Look no further.

The best tyres for all round performance for that car were stock Bridgestone, but XM2 beat them on smoothness.

Please note, in Delhi, your car (Delhi Registered) will be picked up from the road after completing 15 years, no matter how good the condition is.
I have had Bridgestone on earlier car but they are not as comfortable as Michelins. I agree about XM2 as I have an official car Ciaz shod with XM2+ and they are great on tarmac.
This Santro is my personal car that I have moved with me to a small town and I will get it transferred in due course so not really worried about 15 year rule, if local rules permit that. I am prepping up this old car simply because I do not want to use official car for personal errands or shopping trips to nearby bigger towns. In best case scenario I cover 150 Km one way on 4 lane highway which isn't a lot of miles for a relatively unused car. I have my official Ciaz for longer highway runs and a Bolero for deep country usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
You are overanalysing this. Among the choices offered by the dealer, go for the mid-priced offering. As with anything (eg: smartphone), mid-priced offerings give you above average features or characteristics. Such a tyre will give you acceptable ride, handling, wet grip, tyre noise and longevity.

How the ride quality feels mostly comes from the suspension and accuracy of wheel alignment. It is unlikely you will notice much difference in ride quality between brand/model X and brand/model Y on a Santro. Maintaining 30 psi should give you relatively soft ride.
I test tried Apollo Amazer 4G Life as mid level tyre but a short ride was bouncy and it just multiplied the 'basic and simple' suspension into discomfort. All I was looking for, is a soft sidewall tyre, not a high grade sports one because poor old Santro was not a performance car even fresh out of showroom. I will be changing the entire suspension in few weeks but still cant see using 4g Life or alike tyres. I was asking for soft compound information so that I can gauge, what brands people here think is soft compound or have thinner sidewalls. In past I have been happy with Michelins and presently also no new information seems to be coming. I will likely stick with them now too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Being the owner of a 2004 WagonR that has completed 2.5 lac kms which I’d say is a similar car to the Santro, I agree that you are overanalysing this. Firstly no one makes soft compound performance tyres in the size that is appropriate for the Santro. Secondly even if they did, the limitations in terms of mechanical grip on offer from a Santro’s chassis will not allow you to take advantage of such tyres. Go for Michelin XM2 or Continental CC6 I have used both amongst sets of many other tyres (including a set of Potenzas back in the day when they were available in this size) and these are the two I’d recommend regardless of whether they are marketed as tyres that promote efficiency.
Ishaan, that a lot of KMs for a small car! I have had Santro in house since 98/99 and this is 4th Santro I have and it is also the one that haven't seen much miles. I was not looking performance tyre for sure. I had XM2 on earlier Santro and they were great. I today I had to buy again, based on general feedback here, I will stick to XM2+ because for small undulation like uneven road or rumble strips, XM2 have been very quite and supple in my past experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikh_oberoi View Post
Go for the yokohama earth 1 tyres. Even my verna, having the same set, had low running and it lasted 6.5 years when the usage increased gradually.
And why you want to buy online? You live in Delhi, lots of tyre shops in every corner.
Also, mostly they sell old tyres online so you will be getting old tyres which will again dry out early.
Bro I dont live in Delhi anymore so I have to buy online. Even if they want to push old stock, one can always write before hand and request for stock timelines. More than old stock the real problem is tyres just sitting without any movement or daily running and eventually going dry due to non -use.
I have seen Marutis with cross ply tyres running for 10+ years with tyres as good as new; provide they are rotated and lightly used often.
HereticHermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 19:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Seems like you almost have it decided but if still interested read through this this thread on the wagonR tyre upgrade thread to see if something works for you.

Have linked you to page 6 onwards for a recent info (Maruti Suzuki WagonR : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread).
Old 23rd January 2024, 21:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have used Michellins for 1.25 Lakh km, Good year for 10 Thousand km, Apollo for 30 Thousand km, JK for 20 Thousand km, BridgeStone for 30 Thousand km, Continental Conticomfort for 20 Thousand km. Irrespective of what people say, there is nothing that matches the Michellins in ride comfort. It sort of masks the hard suspension in small cars - sad that Michellins are not available for small cars anymore in India. Next bet is Conticomfort.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 23rd January 2024 at 22:00.
Old 24th January 2024, 01:05   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I have used Michellins for 1.25 Lakh km, Good year for 10 Thousand km, Apollo for 30 Thousand km, JK for 20 Thousand km, BridgeStone for 30 Thousand km, Continental Conticomfort for 20 Thousand km. Irrespective of what people say, there is nothing that matches the Michellins in ride comfort. It sort of masks the hard suspension in small cars - sad that Michellins are not available for small cars anymore in India. Next bet is Conticomfort.
I had put Michelins on Santro in end of the 2021 so they are not totally gone out of production I guess.
Old 24th January 2024, 15:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had put Michelins on Santro in end of the 2021 so they are not totally gone out of production I guess.
Great to hear this. Hope they are not old stock and hope Michellin has started production in India.
Old 14th April 2024, 23:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

I just changed 2 tyres for my A-star AT (155/80 R13).
It seems Michellins are available only for bigger specs, so had to be content with Apollo.
In effect I have downgraded from Michellin to ContiComfort to Apollo.
(My preference is soft tyres even if they last half as long, hence a 'downgrade' for me.)

Last edited by jinojohnt : 14th April 2024 at 23:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks