Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2017, 17:45   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki WagonR : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys, how are MRF ZLX tyres for WagonR in 155/65/r13.

I am up sizing from 145/70/r13 and ZLX is available for 2500/tyre. I really hope these don't end up like the JKs which I currently have.

Should I get these or instead get Yokohama or Bridgestone.

I am avoiding Michelin because people say they are more prone to damage due to being soft and the road I travel are really bad these days.

Kindly suggest.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 16th September 2017 at 17:53.
Old 16th September 2017, 20:24   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Guys, how are MRF ZLX tyres for WagonR in 155/65/r13.

I am up sizing from 145/70/r13 and ZLX is available for 2500/tyre. I really hope these don't end up like the JKs which I currently have.

Should I get these or instead get Yokohama or Bridgestone.

I am avoiding Michelin because people say they are more prone to damage due to being soft and the road I travel are really bad these days.

Kindly suggest.
I moved from the stock Apollos to Yokohama Earth 1s. Up sized to 165/65 R14. I have been using these for the past 15k+ kms on varying roads ranging from beautiful 4-lane ones to extremely poor stone strewn ones. The road grip is very good even in wet conditions. Downside is slightly higher tyre noise on uneven conditions but better than the stock Apollos.

I maintain 1-2 psi lower than the recommended 33psi for a better ride quality and haven't faced any issues, no punctures too. Touchwood!
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 18:49   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I moved from the stock Apollos to Yokohama Earth 1s.
Went with MRF ZLX 155/65/R13.
Paid 10,300 for 4 tires including 4 air valves and some nut for camber adjustment. Wheel Alignment/Balancing was provided Free of Cost.

Initial impressions are positive as with any new tires. Only time will tell how these fares!
Old 18th September 2017, 20:20   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Paid 10,300 for 4 tires including 4 air valves and some nut for camber adjustment.
What sort of nut is that?? Never knew camber is adjustable on WagonR
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 20:48   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
What sort of nut is that?? Never knew camber is adjustable on WagonR
No idea! The guy doing the alignment told me a nut is required to be put to correct the alignment. Told me the charges will be 50 for the nut and 50 as labor. I told him to go ahead since I don't have much knowledge regarding alignment. In fact this is the first time I had witnessed live how balancing and alignment is done. Earlier it was always done at MASS.

Should I be concerned?
Old 19th September 2017, 09:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wheel Alignment/Balancing was provided Free of Cost.
Good gesture by tyre dealer, seldom seen these as free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Never knew camber is adjustable on WagonR
Quote:
No idea! The guy doing the alignment told me a nut is required to be put to correct the alignment.
Most likely, it was nut for toe alignment. Please check alignment report, it should show changes only for front toe.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 12:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need some help.

My 2017 Wagon R has done 14k km's and poor ride quality has been my cause of concern since day one. My daily drive is a mix of city and highways(with badly patched roads and undulations). I do agree that a badly configured suspension could be the cause of bad ride quality. But, are there any good tires that would even out the undulations, reduce the floaty-ness on the highways and make the ride comfortable. Or am I wishing for horses?, which means no matter what tire combo, the ride quality will not improve.

FYI, stock tyres are Apollo Amazer 3G 155/65 R14. The vehicle is equipped with ABS, hence I am currently not contemplating on an upsize. I have read somewhere that change in tyre spec. could confuse the logic of the working of ABS as there would be variation in the speed measured due to the new configuration.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I don't know how much of a difference Michelin, Bridegstone or any other premium tyre could make on a Wagon-R. It would be helpful if someone with first-hand experience pitches in.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 7th March 2018 at 12:33.
Old 7th March 2018, 13:07   #83
BHPian

I would recommend upgrading your tyres to the Michelin XM2's (which are available in your stock size of 155/65 R14). My A-Star came with Ceat 'Milaze' tyres as standard, and the ride was rock hard. I changed them to the XM2s and the ride definitely improved a couple of notches.

Last edited by avi550m : 7th March 2018 at 13:09.
avi550m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 18:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need some help.

..But, are there any good tires that would even out the undulations, reduce the floaty-ness on the highways and make the ride comfortable.
Quoting my own post. Forgot to add that I did try various tyre pressure levels but to no avail.

Anyone with Bridgestone on Wagon R? My earlier Alto had B290. It did retain the planted feeling even after doing 40k km's when compared to crap Jk tyres. But, I do not know how the Bridegstone Turanza would fare on the Wagon R in comparison to the stock Apollo Amazer 3G( which is touted as the best among the budget tyres).

Might not be able to go for the Michelin as there is a high probability of punctures given the road conditions that I travel through. So I am looking at the right combo of Ride quality + Planted feel + Durablity. I would be happy even if they last for 30k km's.

Awaiting a reply, thanks in advance.
Old 7th March 2018, 19:28   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Quoting my own post. Forgot to add that I did try various tyre pressure levels but to no avail.

Anyone with Bridgestone on Wagon R? My earlier Alto had B290. It did retain the planted feeling even after doing 40k km's when compared to crap Jk tyres. But, I do not know how the Bridegstone Turanza would fare on the Wagon R in comparison to the stock Apollo Amazer 3G( which is touted as the best among the budget tyres).
Can't comment about Bridgestone but I am using Yokohama Earth-1 for the past 20k kms. My opinion, they are better than the stock Apollo 3G in terms of grip, softness and longevity. My daily route also involves bad roads and those tyres have withstood them wonderfully till date.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 23:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
..I am using Yokohama Earth-1 for the past 20k kms. My opinion, they are better than the stock Apollo 3G in terms of grip, softness and longevity.
Aah..Thanks Ashis. Would have asked you directly, but withdrew since your car has a 165/65 config. I am currently evaluating the options in the stock size. If nothing is significantly better than the stock Apollo's, I might have to give up the thought of a tyre swap.
Old 12th September 2018, 15:26   #87
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks, back with a query again. Attached are the images of my Wagon R's tyres, 26k km's done. Can any expert suggest, by looking at the images on how much of life can be expected from them?
As we know, with the Amazers on wagon r, with just +/- 1-2 psi than ideal(33psi), the ride quality suffers badly. Is it worth holding them for another 10k km's?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki WagonR : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20180912151025.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki WagonR : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20180912151326.jpg  

jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 15:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks, back with a query again. Attached are the images of my Wagon R's tyres, 26k km's done. Can any expert suggest, by looking at the images on how much of life can be expected from them?
As we know, with the Amazers on wagon r, with just +/- 1-2 psi than ideal(33psi), the ride quality suffers badly. Is it worth holding them for another 10k km's?

Thanks in advance.
The tyres seem to be in decent nick from what I can gather. It should be good for at least another 10000 kms if not more. If you could take a picture after wiping away the dust from the tyre we could evaluate better. Unless you see micro lines appearing on the tread or sidewall, you should be good to go.

EDIT: Are you sure the ideal psi is 33. Please check the sticker on your B pillar(driver side) for the exact value. The sticker on my 2014 WagonR reads 36 psi. I'm not sure why you find the ride quality to be particularly bad. I did not find it to be worse off than similar products in the segment. You should probably try on another WagonR just to be sure.

Last edited by longhorn : 12th September 2018 at 16:12.
longhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 17:24   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
EDIT: Are you sure the ideal psi is 33. Please check the sticker on your B pillar(driver side) for the exact value. The sticker on my 2014 WagonR reads 36 psi. I'm not sure why you find the ride quality to be particularly bad. I did not find it to be worse off than similar products in the segment. You should probably try on another WagonR just to be sure.
Thanks, there are no visible micro-lines as of now, as the car is only 15 months old, might see them after sometime.

Yeah, the marked tyre pressure is 36psi when tyres are cold. But, when the tyres warm up the ride becomes a little too stiff/harsh. I personally was comfortable with 33psi cold tyre pressure. Any lesser, and the ride becomes too squishy, there is too much of body roll. In case, I retain the car I will upgrade to tyres that are glued to the road, preferably B290's.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 16:59   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The sticker on my 2014 WagonR reads 36 psi.
The manufacturers know it best, but 36 psi for a Wagon R seems to be a bit much. Could it perhaps be a step to increase fuel efficiency?

Quote:
...the marked tyre pressure is 36psi when tyres are cold. But, when the tyres warm up the ride becomes a little too stiff/harsh.
A cold tyre pressure of 36 psi would mean that your tyres would be running upwards of 38 psi even in moderate heat, after being driven for a couple of kilometres. In that case, stiffness is a given. Considering Wagon R's height, weight and tyre size, 33 psi (cold pressure) should be optimum.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks