Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2019, 11:44   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki WagonR : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

After 40k kms with Yoko Earth 1s (EO), I got a set of 4 MRF ZLXs for my WagonR. It was in the same upsize - 165/65 R14. I have covered about 5k kms since then and hence, I am sharing my feedback:
  • EO was a lot noisier than the ZLX.
  • EO was harder than ZLX. It took bad roads in its stride. I just had 1 puncture in the whole 40k kms period of use, that too towards the end of its life. ZLX has not given any reason to complain so far even though I have driven on equally roads with them
  • Since EO was hard, the ride quality was also harsher with them. With ZLX, the ride is very significantly soft. I can maintain higher speeds on bad stretches of road. However, need to see if ZLX remains soft even after aging.
  • From what I felt, EO provided better grip and due to hard sidewall, gave lesser body roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Hello Folks, back with a query again. Attached are the images of my Wagon R's tyres, 26k km's done. Can any expert suggest, by looking at the images on how much of life can be expected from them?
Hey Jitin, did you retain the tyres? How long did they last?
In the first image, I believe those are the rear tyres. I feel the outer edge of the tyres are tiny bit more worn out (seems so from the image). Can you confirm if I am wrong here?
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 18:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hey Jitin, did you retain the tyres? How long did they last?
In the first image, I believe those are the rear tyres. I feel the outer edge of the tyres are tiny bit more worn out (seems so from the image). Can you confirm if I am wrong here?

Yes, they are fine with current odo at 35k km's. But it seems that are wearing out a little quicker post 30k km's.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:58   #93
BHPian

Hi Friends. Need your suggestions. Am getting new WagonR Zxi AMT 2020 model shortly. Would like to change to alloys. My queries are:

1. Can I upsize to R15 ?

2. Can I ask my dealer to fit alloys? If yes then do they give any consideration for the steel rims and stock tyres?

3. What tyres do you recommend for mostly City commute of about 1000 kms a month.

Thanks

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th August 2021 at 14:35. Reason: Edited as mentioned in the subsequent post
Old 7th April 2020, 12:13   #94
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
I have a 2015 WagonR Vxi which has currently done 8500kms. No one drives it around except for me. And as for me I usually live away from my home because of my studies. Now I've found few cracks on the tyres and that is why I'm concerned. The car is primarily used for highway runs(65% highway) and thus tyres do play a important role.
Also this year during our annual servicing at MASS I got the wheels rotated. The rear tyres which came to front were much more damaged that the front ones which went to the back. The stock tyres are Apollo Amazer 3G and I'm pretty happy with these. They do take abuse whenever we visit our village. So I want your recommendation on should I replace the tyres or keep them? Also if replacement is needed then which tyres should I go for? I was planning to go ahead with Continental CC5 as they were selling for Rs 3000 on Tyremarket.com but I do think that they won't have a shelf life as good as Indian manufacturers. Shelf life is the key factor here since the car isn't being used much.
Thank you.
abhi9044 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 23:15   #95
BHPian

Hi guys, we have a 2012 Wagon R LXI CNG with 145/80 R13 tyres. We use this as a beater car in the city most (90%) of the times, and occasional highway drives. The stock tyres are JK Ultimas, we bought the car pre owned from True value when the odo was around 21K kms in 2016, Maruti true value guys changed the tyres to brand new OEM JK Ultima NXT tubeless tyres, we did 25k KMS on them, even though we have enough thread on the tyre, the tyres wore out unevenly. I did not notice it until I got the lower arms on both sides changed, after changing the steering output felt litter harder. When I asked the SA, he told it is the uneven tyre wear which is causing it. Can that be a factor for the steering to be little hard?

Also since it has been already 4 years, even though the grip is good, but tyres are little asymmetrical (worn out unevenly, multiple punctures, small cracks due to age), I thought it is a good time to change the tires.

I'd also like to know the ideal upsize of tyre without causing any speedo error, providing good ride quality and grip at high speeds on a 13'inch rim. I'm planning to go for either Bridgestone or Yokohoma Earth 1. Please suggest the correct upsize for LXI version, also the tyre brand.
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 21:07   #96
BHPian

Our 2nd Gen Wagon R, Vxi Option Variant (2016) with ABS is due for a tyre replacement. Its currently on the OEM spec 155/65/R14 tyres.

The lower profile side walls means the ride is a little jarring and meeting with a pothole means sure to make the wheel caps crack. We replaced the wheel caps once and then left it like that, tied on with cable ties. Once even the front right shock absorber was bent and had to be replaced.

The car is mainly used by my dad and within the city in a 5 km radius. So handling is not a priority. But ride comfort definitely is.

I am planning to downsize the rims to 13 inches (planning to buy A Star Zxi steel rims as they are black) and fit them with 155/80 R13 tyres. My doubts are -

1. Does both the rims have same PCD?
2. Will there be any issue with the offset?
3. Will there be any issue with ABS functionality due to increased overall diameter?

I know the speedo error and odometer reading will be off by a bit, and that Lxi variant comes with 13 inch silver steel wheels. But I am interested in getting black wheels which looks better with wheel caps.

Other than A Star wheels are there any other Maruti Black Steel wheel options for me?
Ramon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 12:39   #97
BHPian

Swapped out the tyres from the A Star (155/80 R13) onto the Wagon R and took a test drive. No issues were seen.

So placed an order with MGP for four 13 inch black steel wheels, wheel caps and tyre valves from the A Star Zxi (the A Star wheel caps are of softer plastic and so don't get cracked on impact or when pressed). Will get them in 10 days time.

Shall update after putting on the new tyres.

Last edited by Ramon : 17th July 2021 at 12:40.
Ramon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 14:08   #98
BHPian

I replaced my 2016 Wagon R LXI Green's tyres for the second time now.

The original tyres were Bridgestone(yeah, lucky me!) 145/70 R13. I upgraded them to Micheline XM2 155/80 R13 at 40k mark. XM2s had great grip and had excellent feedback.

Now at 80k mark, I wanted to get XM2s again. But, due to the import ban, Micheline, Conti tyres are not available anywhere in R13 (also R14, as per sellers). The only (acceptable) options were, Bridgestone B290 and Yokohama Earth-1. I tried skidding both the tyres on the ceramic tile floor of the shop and Bridgestones held better. (I don't know any other method to find material quality difference)

Hence I replaced to B290s 155/80 R13. The ride quality has improved drastically. The grip is as good as Micheline when they were new.

Conclusion: I can recommend XM2 and B290 equally, for anyone who wants (slightly) wider size with better grip.
akshye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 10:07   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Shall update after putting on the new tyres.
Got the A Star Zxi steel rims and Wheel Caps yesterday.

Took the Wagon R to the tyre shop and bought MRF ZLX 155/80 R13 tyres. The ride has become a lot more smoother, with minor potholes not registering at all and bigger ones too handled with ease.

No evident change in handling or problems with braking (I was apprehensive of the effect of the slightly larger overall diameter of the new wheel - tyre combo on ABS) was noticed.

With the earlier wheel tyre combo showing a 10% error, 80 kmph on speedo was 72 kmph on phone GPS, expecting the current setup to give a more accurate reading at the speedo.

All in all happy with the upgrade (downgrade) on rim size.

Last edited by Ramon : 15th August 2021 at 10:25.
Ramon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 16:31   #100
Senior - BHPian

I have fruitlessly spent the last 6 years running my '04 WagonR on larger tyres Bridgestone Potenzas and then Bridgestone My02 Sporty tyres. The stance was neat and they filled up the wheel arches nicely as well as gave more grip than the chassis could even handle and excellent braking as well as wet traction. However they have always felt a little cumbersome in terms of the added unsprung mass as well as wheel arch scraping tendencies and I have decided it is time to go back to the sensible 155/65 R13 option.

This brings a few queries; I am getting a good deal both on Continental CC5 as well as CC6 tyres. Which is better? Has anyone tried both? I am looking for the grippiest tyre in this size as I do not want there to be too much of a lack of grip felt in comparison to the old tyres. The usual suspects; Yoko Earth1 and Michelin XM2+ are also available. Anything else available in this size that specifically offers better grip and braking?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 20:08   #101
Senior - BHPian

I have booked a 1.0 WagonR in October and still waiting for it.

It is a Vxi trim and comes with a 165 section tyre on 14 inch rims. I am not a fan of MSIL's skinny tyres, especially on a tallboy model and more so because the 165 tyres don't help on bad roads.
What would be the right upzise for this car in terms of not increasing the sidewall height by not much? I am looking at 175 on the same stock rims mainly because I think 185 will be an overkill for this car.

Last edited by tharian : 23rd November 2021 at 20:09.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 12:34   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I have booked a 1.0 WagonR in October and still waiting for it.

It is a Vxi trim and comes with a 165 section tyre on 14 inch rims. I am not a fan of MSIL's skinny tyres, especially on a tallboy model and more so because the 165 tyres don't help on bad roads.
What would be the right upzise for this car in terms of not increasing the sidewall height by not much? I am looking at 175 on the same stock rims mainly because I think 185 will be an overkill for this car.
Did you change the tyres? How is the performance?

I'm also looking to replace my WagonR 2017 tyres. The stock size 155/65/R14 is not sufficient and gives a hard ride. Can it be upgraded to to a higher aspect ratio without changing the rims? Something like 165/70/R14.
mp417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 12:48   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post

I'm also looking to replace my WagonR 2017 tyres. The stock size 155/65/R14 is not sufficient and gives a hard ride. Can it be upgraded to to a higher aspect ratio without changing the rims? Something like 165/70/R14.
I haven't got the car yet. Wonder if I will even get it in the next couple of months.

On a 14 inch rim, you can go upto 175 without an issue which I think will be right. If not 165 will do fine too.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 12:55   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
On a 14 inch rim, you can go upto 175 without an issue which I think will be right. If not 165 will do fine too.
More than the rim diameter, one must always be wary of the rim width (4J/4.5J/5J) and then decide the width of the tire they want to upgrade too.

Cars like WagonR have badly designed wheel arches/wheel wells that it shows no generosity when it comes to upgrades beyond 165mm. Further, a 175mm tire on the OE Rim will only result in underutilization of the width of the tire since the narrow rim will result in sidewall bulge and that means the effective tread that is contact with the road surface will be way lesser than 175mm.

If one wants to upgrade the wheels to Alloys, you aren't easily getting anything that is less than 5 or 5.5j and on that when you put 175mm tires, they for sure will rub the wheel arches when car is fully loaded and you pass undulations at highway speeds.

IMHO, for a car like WagonR, 155mm/165mm works best and within acceptable limits. 175 will certainly be underutilized.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 18:49   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post

You can upgrade to 165/65 r14 tyres. Anything wider will make the car even slower. I have these tyre size for the past 58k kms and they're a worthy upsize.

For a comfortable ride, look for Michelin xm2(expensive) or MRF Zlx(cheaper). For good grip but harder ride, get the Yoko earth 1s.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks