Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:53   #31
BHPian

Anyone can suggest before I go to the tyre wallah
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well it looks like you've either grazed a pavement or a sharp stone which lead to this mark on the tyres. From what I can see it is not a cut yet but with constant use it will lead into that.

What I woudl suggest is to go to the shop & have the tyre removed from the rim & check the extent of the damage & how deep this mark is by checking the inner side of the tyre. According to that take a call.

And busted sidewalls can be repaired but it's not recommended since the tyre develops a permanent bulge & remains usable only as a spare for short distances as there is permanent wobbling which cannot be cured.
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:17   #33
BHPian

Am planning to change tyres for my Ikon and from the various forum post here looking like Michelin PP2 is good option. Anyone knows good place to get tyres in chennai?
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Had a bad puncture in one of my car's tyres (PP2). A seriously big nail got in somehow and cut the tyre a bit at the junction of the sidewall and the main top section. Applied a mushroom patch but I guess its best to use this particular tyre only as a spare. I guess the PP2 is a bit too soft for indian conditions. However who the hell cares. For the grip it offers, I'd gladly take it over anything else.
Old 24th January 2008, 13:28   #35
BHPian

My experience with Pilot Preceda 185/60R14 on Marina:
Good performance on dry and wet roads, quieter than JK got as OE.

But got the side-wall cut when front left fell into a pothole of international quality on NH-7 while approaching Hosur, in the Krishnagiri-Hosur strech. Speed was 90-100 kmph. So I feel side walls on Pilot Preceda is not very strong, but better than most Indian breands.
Old 28th January 2008, 23:21   #36
BHPian

I got them checked only today at Ashoka wheels & was told that it was nothing to worry about.
Also I was told that next time I have a doubt, run something like a key onto the cut & only if it goes deep inside then its time to worry.

Thanks Ira for the reply.
Old 15th March 2008, 15:36   #37
BHPian

Am planning to change tyres for my Ikon and from the various forum post here looking like Michelin PP2 is good option. Anyone knows good place to get tyres in chennai

Hi Josh,You could try International tyres at Woods road or his brothers shop in Gopalpuram(at the end of the road on the right,going from Chola sheraton).He deals with Michelin.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe View Post

Hi Josh,You could try International tyres at Woods road or his brothers shop in Gopalpuram(at the end of the road on the right,going from Chola sheraton).He deals with Michelin.

Hi: Thanks for that info. Will checkout these shops.
Old 20th March 2008, 16:37   #39
BHPian

No problems.Let us know if you got the wheels.
Old 12th July 2008, 07:28   #40
BHPian

I am buying the new Ford Fiesta SXi 1.6 (petrol) next week and want to upsize the tires immediately after the purchase. I enquired the local dealer in my city and found that Michelin doesn't make PP2 in the size 195/60 R14. Only PP1 is avaialble for this size (the same is also mentioned on Michelin's India website). However PP2 is available in 185/60 R14.
I want to know if there a huge difference between the performance of PP1 and PP2, since I really want to go for the 195/60 R14 size but if the performance difference is big then I think even 185 tread width would do. I have been quoted a price of Rs 4100/- per tire for the PP1, is there a big difference in the price of PP1 and PP2 also?
Then there is another part of my brain which says that at a similar price I should go for the XM1+ since they offer better comfort and mileage.
I'm really confused. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 12th July 2008, 12:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

PP2s are super tyres... been using them for a while and am fida on them. I haven't used PP1s, so cannot really compare, but from what many users have said, they are excellent tyres too. I think they will be worth your while.
XM1+ would also be a good option, but like you said, they're comfort/mileage-oriented, so you need to figure out your priorities. Having said that, PPs are not uncomfortable tyres by any means - they are super comfy and silent for a performance-oriented tyre. And the Fiesta + PP is a proven combo, as this thread describes
Old 12th July 2008, 13:59   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Doc,

I think the main difference between the PP1s and 2s is that traction in wet weather is much improved in the latter.

However, PP1s are still very good so it's your call.

IMHO, 185 PP2s are better as you will get higher mileage with the narrower tyre (vis-a-vis 195 PP1s) and the difference in wet weather traction will be negligible.
Old 12th July 2008, 22:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

What is the smallest size made in Pilot Preceda for 14". Are 165s and 175s also available?
Old 13th July 2008, 03:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

185/60 R14 is the smallest size for PP2's in India man!
Old 13th July 2008, 18:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsinghal View Post
I am buying the new Ford Fiesta SXi 1.6 (petrol) next week and want to upsize the tires immediately after the purchase. I enquired the local dealer in my city and found that Michelin doesn't make PP2 in the size 195/60 R14. Only PP1 is avaialble for this size (the same is also mentioned on Michelin's India website). However PP2 is available in 185/60 R14.
I want to know if there a huge difference between the performance of PP1 and PP2, since I really want to go for the 195/60 R14 size but if the performance difference is big then I think even 185 tread width would do. I have been quoted a price of Rs 4100/- per tire for the PP1, is there a big difference in the price of PP1 and PP2 also?
Then there is another part of my brain which says that at a similar price I should go for the XM1+ since they offer better comfort and mileage.
I'm really confused. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Doc,
I am running Michelin Pilot Preceda (PP1) on my Palio GTX, size is 195/60 R14. I could not be happier with this tire. As hard as I have tried, this tire will not break loose around turns and does not even squeal under hard cornering.

It is an excellent high performance tire which means that it will give you better handling, braking, and high speed stability than the Michelin Energy series. The pilot series is also a softer rubber compound that wears much faster, and the wider tire will reduce fuel economy and give more feedback on bad roads.

So it is your call. Most people will be perfectly happy with the energy series, so make your decision based on the type of driving you do, and your pocketbook. But typically if you are undecided, go with the Michelin Energy tire. It is a premium quality tire. Most folks that go for a tire like the Preceda want ultra high performance irrespective of cost & comfort.

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks