Team-BHP - Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   Skoda Laura : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/27778-skoda-laura-tyre-wheel-upgrade-thread-16.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezrskb (Post 3042558)
I need a bit of advice on my next tire change on my Skoda Laura Elegance MT 2.0 TDI

As Akshay said any tire could get punctured if the tire goes over an exposed nail or sharp object. But the fact that you got four punctures in four months of driving is a matter of concern. I have been driving on Michelin Primacy LC for the last 32K odd kms and so far I've had just one puncture. Looking at the current condition of my tyres I can I tell these will go well past 50,000 kms.

THe Goodyear NCTs are very old tyres and have been around since ages. I can only think of one reason why Skoda is using them as OE. They must be getting them real cheap!

I suggest you stick to OE size as increasing the overall diameter will mess with the suspension settings and odometer readings and could adversely affect the handling of the car. Not to mention the warranty on any suspension related components.

If I were you, I would look for a tyre with a min speed rating of V atleast. I think C drives are H rated. (The OE Goodyears are also V rated). Apart from Primacy LC you can look at Yoko AVS Decibel. Wet weather grip is one the strengths of Primacy LC which I can also vouch from experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 3042564)
Yoko C drives come to mind as very good all round tyres. Advan sports are also excellent, but c drives would take rough roads better. The other option is Michelin Primacy LCs, but after speaking to Nikhilb it seems they tyres which need to be looked after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 3042838)

I suggest you stick to OE size ...

Apart from Primacy LC you can look at Yoko AVS Decibel. Wet weather grip is one the strengths of Primacy LC which I can also vouch from experience.

Thanks akshay and Santhoshbhat for suggestions.

I had a look at a Bridgestone model, not Turanza but some model named with alphabets and numbers (so vague!, some sort of name stays in memory!). But it was a unidirectional one. Not sure whether it would harm any to put it reverse if the need comes. Enquired about Yokohama Decibel model but no dealer around here has it. Michelin seems to be the model dealers as well as customers with Laura around here favor. So ultimately I got myself a single Michelin Primacy LC 205/55/R16 (thats the OEM tire size for my car).Plan is to run the stock Goodyears for around 20K, then keep the best one as spare and buy three more Michelin PLCs to run the car.

Quote:

My driving is mostly in city with occasional highway spirited drives. I need reasonable grip in wet weather as well as it rains cats and dogs during monsoons here. My question is
What should be my next tire change? I want to stay with 205/55 R16s. (any problems with 205/60/R16s?)
Next tire should be an all rounder tire. But I would put need for comfort and low road noise and road grip on top. Durability and cost are not the most important issues as such but I expect it to last at least 40K Kms decent driving.
Any problems with unidirectional tires? If I keep a spare one in boot, when I have to change during a puncture if direction happens to be reverse, any issues?
If I have to choose among Michelin / Yokohama / Bridgestone, what should be the order of preference and which models?
Could somebody enlighten me?

Have used Michelin MXV8 - now there is a new model - 205/60/R16 for comfortable ride and long Tyre life of 43000 kms. Of that Tyre.
Used Yoko S Drive 205/55/R16 for sporty drive but it is hard on the back and life is low 25_30000 kms.
Using Yoko ES501 225/55/R16 for semi sporty drive due to wide tyres, comfort due to higher ride height as the aspect ratio is maintained while increasing width. It is silent and comfy but need to see the life in the long run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezrskb (Post 3043278)
Thanks akshay and Santhoshbhat for suggestions.

I had a look at a Bridgestone model, not Turanza but some model named with alphabets and numbers (so vague!, some sort of name stays in memory!). But it was a unidirectional one. Not sure whether it would harm any to put it reverse if the need comes. Enquired about Yokohama Decibel model but no dealer around here has it. Michelin seems to be the model dealers as well as customers with Laura around here favor. So ultimately I got myself a single Michelin Primacy LC 205/55/R16 (thats the OEM tire size for my car).Plan is to run the stock Goodyears for around 20K, then keep the best one as spare and buy three more Michelin PLCs to run the car.

Was it the Bridgestone MY02? That is unidirectional.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 3047994)
Was it the Bridgestone MY02? That is unidirectional.

Think so. But we can't cross rotate these unidirectional tires, can we? A spare unidirectional tire in boot may not be used in correct position/ direction in the event of a puncture. Anything dramatic happens if the direction is reversed with one tire? does the tire get damaged if we run it for some distance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezrskb (Post 3048462)
Think so. But we can't cross rotate these unidirectional tires, can we? A spare unidirectional tire in boot may not be used in correct position/ direction in the event of a puncture. Anything dramatic happens if the direction is reversed with one tire? does the tire get damaged if we run it for some distance?

If the tyre is installed on the rim to be used on the right side of the car, it can be used on the left. Nothing dramatic will happen but if you try driving at high speed, you may be risking an accident. This is because 3 tyres will have the amount of grip they have been designed for(because they are moving in the correct direction) and one tyre will behave differently.

Using it in the wrong direction is ok for an emergency for a short period of time till you reach a puncture repair shop or a city where you can find a good tyre shop.

There will be uneven wear on the tyre if you use it in the wrong direction for a long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 (Post 3048634)
If the tyre is installed on the rim to be used on the right side of the car..at high speed, you may be risking an accident. This is because 3 tyres will have the amount of grip they have been designed for(because they are moving in the correct direction) and one tyre will behave differently.
There will be uneven wear on the tyre if you use it in the wrong direction for a long time.

Got it. That's why I prefer to have a non unidirectional tire for my car. But out of curiosity, is there hell and heaven of a difference between unidirectional and non unidirectional tires in terms of road grip, comfort and durability?
But anyway after much browsing around for user reviews, I have already bought a single Michelin PLC as a spare now will replace all 4 running Goodyears with Michelins once GY NCTs wear out.

Unidirectional Tyre can be used for a short while in an emergency in any direction. But not for long in the wrong direction.

Use the older standard Tyre in the spare and don't change that. Replace only 4 tyres. That is what I have been doing the last two times.

Quote:

I need a bit of advice on my next tire change on my Skoda Laura Elegance MT 2.0 TDI
Stock tires were Goodyear Eagle NCTs. Over the last 4 and half months and 5.5K Kms, I have already had 4 punctures (all were repaired, all nails) with last puncture being a side wall puncture exposing some metal wires. I am disgusted with the quality of these stock tires regarding comfort / road noise. Road grip seems to be OK. My driving is mostly in city with occasional highway spirited drives. I need reasonable grip in wet weather as well as it rains cats and dogs during monsoons here. My question is
What should be my next tire change? I want to stay with 205/55 R16s. (any problems with 205/60/R16s?)
Next tire should be an all rounder tire. But I would put need for comfort and low road noise and road grip on top. Durability and cost are not the most important issues as such but I expect it to last at least 40K Kms decent driving.
Any problems with unidirectional tires? If I keep a spare one in boot, when I have to change during a puncture if direction happens to be reverse, any issues?
If I have to choose among Michelin / Yokohama / Bridgestone, what should be the order of preference and which models?
Could somebody enlighten me?

You can safely choose between Michelin and Yokohama's in my view. My list would be Yokohama C.Drive, Michelin Primacy LC /MXV8, and Yokohama Db series (Note that C.Drive will grip better than the Db ES501 pattern). Michelins might be better for really rough roads while I will pick C.Drive for high speed driving on expressways,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffetfan (Post 3051600)
You can safely choose between Michelin and Yokohama's in my view. My list would be Yokohama C.Drive, Michelin Primacy LC /MXV8, and Yokohama Db series (Note that C.Drive will grip better than the Db ES501 pattern). Michelins might be better for really rough roads while I will pick C.Drive for high speed driving on expressways,

I would suggest what I did :) ES501 but up size to 225/55/R16. It looks great in terms of size grips similar to 205 width c drives but lower than S Drives Greater height over speed bumps and is quieter. If it was the same size then inspite of the lower life would have suggested the S drive ( might as well go the whole length if drive is important).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3056000)
I would suggest what I did :) ES501 but up size to 225/55/R16. It looks great in terms of size grips similar to 205 width c drives but lower than S Drives Greater height over speed bumps and is quieter. If it was the same size then inspite of the lower life would have suggested the S drive ( might as well go the whole length if drive is important).

The C.drive is better then the S.Drive on wet roads, per the yokohama positioning that I posted earlier. One should take that in account when taking the call

I couldnt find any thread for a jetta but posting here since the laura and jetta are almost similar.
I have recently got a pre-worshiped Jetta. The car has Goodyear NCTs 205/55 16. The car has run only 37000kms but it is of 2009 make. The tires are manufactured at the end of 2008. Please suggest if I need to change the tires. They seem to be in a fair condition but I am worried since they are 5 years old now. I am planning for an up size to 215/55 16. The only option is yokohoma decibel series. Please suggest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagar.Agarwal (Post 3171997)
Please suggest if I need to change the tires. They seem to be in a fair condition but I am worried since they are 5 years old now. I am planning for an up size to 215/55 16. The only option is yokohoma decibel series. Please suggest.

Check for signs of cracking on the sidewalls. If your car is parked outside in the sun, the tyres can age due to the heat. Get them replaced if cracking is present. If you have a covered parking or if the car has been consistently used it is unlikely that the tyres would have any problem.
You can also take your car to a good tyre shop for advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagar.Agarwal (Post 3171997)
I couldnt find any thread for a jetta but posting here since the laura and jetta are almost similar.
The car has Goodyear NCTs 205/55 16.
I am planning for an up size to 215/55 16. The only option is yokohoma decibel series. Please suggest.

Wouldn't the right tyre upsize be 215/50 R16?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleEye (Post 3172245)
Check for signs of cracking on the sidewalls. If your car is parked outside in the sun, the tyres can age due to the heat. Get them replaced if cracking is present. If you have a covered parking or if the car has been consistently used it is unlikely that the tyres would have any problem.
You can also take your car to a good tyre shop for advice.

Thanks for the information. Drove down the expressway from pune to mumbai. The goodyears make a lot of noise. They have little cracks on the sidewalls too but they are not deep. Anyways would be changing all my tyres next week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nareshov (Post 3172987)
Wouldn't the right tyre upsize be 215/50 R16?

Yes the right upsize is 215/50 R16 but I dont want to loose on the ride comfort and the extra wee bit of GC gain with 215/55 R16 considering the GC of the Jetta. Also, as per the upsize calculator, the difference is only 1.74% so within limits.