Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2007, 21:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Asymmetric and Unidirectional tyres - What do we do for the fifth or spare tyre

Most good tyres now-a-days are either unidirectional or asymmetric or both. When we go for such a set of tyres for our car we would invariably need a bidirectional and Symmetric tyre as a spare. Is there a way to avoid such requirement? If not then what do you folks do while buying new shoes for your car would you buy a bi-directional/symmetric tyre as a spare?
Old 8th September 2007, 21:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

while using such tyres try to match the outer diameter with the stock one , so that one stock can be used as spare. alternately buy a normal tyre of required outer diameter along with 4 of these.
i am using 4 185/65/R14 yokohama c drives with 1 165/80/R13 default
Old 10th September 2007, 00:09   #3
BHPian

I second gigy. I'm using 195/60/R14 with a 175/70/R13 (stock) as spare on my getz. Besides,with tubeless tyres you're much less likely to need the spare.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:25   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In my Benz, I have an asymmetric spare but in the Honda, its uni-directional.

The spare will anyways be used only for a couple of kms. Its okay to drive a uni-directional the opposite way as long as its a temporary fix. And you dont speed at all.....drive very conservatively.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

same here 195/65/14 for uni directional and spare is 195/70/14 non directional, assumption that it will be minimally used (touch wood). though its a bloody mental agony while out on highways
Old 10th September 2007, 10:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

It makes sense to retain the OE tyre & rim in the stepney, as long as the OD of the wheels match. I have Uni-directionals on 3 of my cars & the OE tyres on OE rims in the boot. As rightly said the stepney is usually used for short periods of time / kms so just drive carefully - that should pretty much be OK. Only my Scorpio has all 5 Hankooks identical ones, coz on SUV's IMO the ground clearance being higher can lead to more dis-balance if the OD's are not identical...

Cheers
Old 10th September 2007, 11:30   #7
BANNED

This topic gave me great idea to save some money in buying tyres.Will be keeping the stock one as a stepeny also going to save by not buying the 5th alloy wheel.
Old 11th September 2007, 12:32   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
As rightly said the stepney is usually used for short periods of time / kms so just drive carefully - that should pretty much be OK.
Cheers
If you use a regular tyre as a stepney, what happens when the tyres are rotated at the 5K intervals? I believe they rotate the stepney tyre along with the other tyres. Like shown here below -

Old 11th September 2007, 12:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
If you use a regular tyre as a stepney, what happens when the tyres are rotated at the 5K intervals? I believe they rotate the stepney tyre along with the other tyres. Like shown here below -
The image above is good for normal non-directional tyres but not for directional tyres. For directional tyres it is

The spare tyre in this case will go either to the front or rear of the direction that it has been fitted for.

For eg. in my car the spare has been fitted to be used on the right hand side of the car. So during rotation the spare wheel goes to the rear, the rear goes to the front and the front becomes the stepney. The left side are just swapped between front and rear.

Last edited by vikram_d : 11th September 2007 at 13:01.
Old 11th September 2007, 13:35   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my contribution from another similar thread
Old 11th September 2007, 15:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
For eg. in my car the spare has been fitted to be used on the right hand side of the car. So during rotation the spare wheel goes to the rear, the rear goes to the front and the front becomes the stepney. The left side are just swapped between front and rear.
This doesn't help. The left side tyres wear out faster than the right ones and we need to replace the tyres anyways before right side tyres wearout.
Old 11th September 2007, 15:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

In that case you alternate your car's spare tyre between left and right sides. This will mean having to remove the tyre from the rim and changing sides. Follow alternating cycles.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:14   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
This topic gave me great idea to save some money in buying tyres.Will be keeping the stock one as a stepeny also going to save by not buying the 5th alloy wheel.
Ajay, its actually a good idea to buy a 5th alloy wheel. Mag wheel designs frequently change with some going out of production each year. If you damage one of your alloy wheels, the 5th is always available to come on duty.
Old 11th September 2007, 17:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
In that case you alternate your car's spare tyre between left and right sides. This will mean having to remove the tyre from the rim and changing sides. Follow alternating cycles.
This is a great idea. I would go a step further in suggesting that the spare tyre should be removed from the wheel and reversed whenever you do wheel balancing (Typically done every 10000 KM while wheel rotation is done every 5000 KM).
Old 11th September 2007, 18:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Balancing, alignment and rotation should all be typically done at the same time. Most manufacturers recommend every 5000 kms. I follow a 10000km cycle as it also coincides with my car's servicing cycle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks