Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 14:59   #31

Which Tyre to Buy for my Elantra? Advice needed.

Hey guys. I have an Elantra CRDI & the time has come to get new boots. Have been browsing the forum and not been able to come to any conclusion yet. Based on the following info, I would appreciate if some of the more knowledgable people here can point me in the right direction.

Dimensions - 195 - 60 - 15

Annual running - 6000 kms approx. mostly in city (Mumbai)

Driving style - Not aggressive. Easy on the throttle (most times ). On the highways I am a steady 80-90kph (for safety reasons).

Cost conscious - Yes

Tyre Preference - Something that lasts well considering the broken and pothole-ridden roads of Mumbai. The tyre should be good for braking and offer decent grip at speeds upto 80-90 kph though most of my driving is in-city.

Heard a lot of good things about the Michelin Primacy LC but also heard of its weak sidewall. Considering my driving style and Mumbai roads, probably looking for something much more durable.

Thanks!!!
Old 18th July 2012, 15:24   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Tyre to Buy for my Elantra? Advice needed.

I owned the Elantra CRDI for a few years and drove it more than a lakh kilometers. Amongst the various tires i used i loved the Yokohama db V550, i used a upsize 205/60R15. Excellent allrounder tires with the perfect blend of Comfort, Noise and Grip.

Find details in my ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rt-review.html
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 16:24   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Michelins have a general reputation of being delicate and prone to sidewall damage. I have Michelin XM1+ on two of my cars at present and had them one car earlier which I sold off. I have Primacy LC on one present car and I had the same tyres on one car that I sold off. THis gives you an idea how much I love their tires.

In total I guess my total running with all Michelins put together will be nearly 80K kms. I've had one tire with a sidewall bulge in my Laura, which was replaced under goodwill by Michelin. THis happened during a drive through some rough rural roads. I don't think Michelins can't handle Mumbai roads. Primacy LC is one of their premium comfort tires which also offer exceptional grip levels. But these are pricey as well. If you are cost conscious then you can also look at XM1 or the recently launched XM2.

Bridgestone Potenza RE 88 is another good option. I had these tires on my Corolla, the same size infact. THey lasted about 40K kms. They are V rated and offer pretty decent levels of comfort and grip for the price.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th July 2012 at 16:27.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 16:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Jesse,

How long do you intend to keep the car ?

I would advise you to choose between Yokos or Apollo aceleres.
In my opinion, buying the expensive michelins with your kind of running won't be VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Bridgestone Potenza RE 88 is another good option. I had these tires on my Corolla, the same size infact. THey lasted about 40K kms. They are V rated and offer pretty decent levels of comfort and grip for the price.
RE88s are hard and average in terms of grip.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 16:59   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I ran two sets of these tyres on my Corolla before I switched to Primacy LC for the third set on the same car. Only during the last 5k kms or so they felt hard. Grip and comfortwise they were pretty good actually. Given that I have experienced Primacy LCs also on the same car, I would say they were pretty good for the price.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 12:53   #36

Quote:
Jesse,

===========
Hi. I'll be keeping the car for the next 2-3 yrs, looks like. My running's around 9000 kms a year. Dunno how I typed 6000
Old 25th July 2012, 21:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_916 View Post
Hi. I'll be keeping the car for the next 2-3 yrs, looks like. My running's around 9000 kms a year. Dunno how I typed 6000
I am using goodyear on my Elantra after the last change and it has done 20k kilometers since last two years and doing great, i have done all kind of terrain on this car in those 20k kms, goodyear is cost effective and the current set of tyres on the car looks good to go another 30k.
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 22:15   #38

Quote:
Jesse,

I would advise you to choose between Yokos or Apollo aceleres.
In my opinion, buying the expensive michelins with your kind of running won't be VFM.

Hi Kpzen. Which Yokos would you recommend?

I have dropped Michelin PLC from the shortlist as I feel I will have to be too careful with them. Mumbai roads are horrible at most times (very rarely can you find a 1 km stretch which is absolutely flat) and hence, PLC's seem too risky a bet.
Old 5th August 2012, 12:59   #39

Re: Alloys & Tyres for Hyundai Elantra

To add to my confusion, got a reputed tyre dealer in Mumbai advocating Hankook tyres for the Elantra. Apparently, its a Korean manufacturer and comes as OE on most Hyundai cars worldwide. Also, he suggested that its specially made for Korean conditions which are similar to India's and he's had Sumo's which have done 1,00,000 kms on these

The price he's quoting is Rs. 5500 / tyre for 195-65-15 size. Any advice on these would be most helpful
Old 5th August 2012, 14:28   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_916
To add to my confusion, got a reputed tyre dealer in Mumbai advocating Hankook tyres for the Elantra. Apparently, its a Korean manufacturer and comes as OE on most Hyundai cars worldwide. Also, he suggested that its specially made for Korean conditions which are similar to India's and he's had Sumo's which have done 1,00,000 kms on these

The price he's quoting is Rs. 5500 / tyre for 195-65-15 size. Any advice on these would be most helpful
I had OE Hankook tires on my Elantra, they served well except for some damage which i'd blame on road conditions. Then moved on to Yokohama tires, which felt like a big improvement over OE tires.

I was deeply impressed by Yokohama db v550, excellent allrounder tires, i never forget to recommend. I used 205/60R15 upsize.

ES100 were good too initially but had fast wear rate and became noisy with wear.

Go in for Hankook tires only if they are considerably cheaper than Yoko/Michelin.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 12:27   #41
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. Guys need help.

I am looking at upgrading the tyres on my Hyundai Elantra 2006 petrol. I'm currently running MRF ZV2K 195/60-15. These offer good grip on both wet and dry, but are average otherwise.

My requirements: grip in wet and dry, relatively silent, good braking. I want something that is 'sporty' enough but also tends to 'comfort'. Am looking at upsizing by 1 size. I have the following options in the market:

1) Yokohama db v550 as recommended by Anshuman. This is in size 205/60R15. The quoted price is ~ 6600 per tyre. Although it is not easily available, one shop in JC road has it in stock.

2) Bridgestone Potenza MY-02 and Potenza MY-01. Not enough reviews of these tyres. This is also in size 205/60R15. Dealer said it will be easily available in 195/60R15 (stock size) but he should be able to source in 205. Price is similar to the Yokohama above

3) Hankook Blackbird V2: International code name Hankook H424. This is in the best upsize (205/55R15). Tyres look quite good. Dealer said sidewall stronger than the Yokohama. Dealer quoted 5600 per tyre.

Help!
Old 20th January 2013, 13:25   #42
BHPian

Guys needs inputs! Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks