Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 15:33   #1
BHPian

Crack on the sidewall of Tyre

Hi, I am seeing some cracks on the sidewall of my cars tyres. One or two are 2/3 cms. long. The tyres are MRF Zigma CC on Maruti 800. I have used them for more than 4 yrs but they have done only about 25,000 kms. Will the cracks pose any problem?

Thanks,
Old 8th November 2007, 00:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, they can have a blowout which can lead to a crash which can be serious if you're doing high-speeds.

I would suggest you have your tyres inspected from a good tyre shop & replace them at the earliest. This is too dangerous a thing for you to ignore.
Old 8th November 2007, 00:37   #3
BHPian

It depends on how deep is the crack. I once managed to put a small circular cut on the sidewall of my car's front right side Michelin tyre. It happened when I was trying to park my car in the basement. A steel pipe that was lying on the ground got stuck in between a concrete wall and the tyre. It wasn't deep at all, just 2 or 3 millimeters and I thought it wouldn't cause any problem. But that tyre just blew off one fine day when I was driving in City. Just imagine what would have happened if it went off on a highway while my car was at 100kmph.
Old 8th November 2007, 01:27   #4
BHPian

Get the tyres changed asap.
Old 8th November 2007, 10:39   #5
BANNED

Rubber has deteriorated due to age. You may be better off changing them. Is the car parked in open and bare ground? (not concrete, not road - bare sand?) This can accelerate ageing of rubber.
Old 8th November 2007, 10:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Shipnil,

Lets have some photos.
Are they very shallow surface cracks caused by age or something more?

cya
R
Old 9th November 2007, 00:09   #7
BHPian

What i suspect the tire dealer has sold @shipnil a set of old tires which are log kept in stock... get your tires changed ASAP dude
Old 9th November 2007, 04:48   #8
BHPian

In all probability they're surface cracks due to deterioration in the tyre compound. Your tyres are "drying up" get them changed asap.
Old 9th November 2007, 13:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

How can you prevent your tires from getting cracks like these? If it is on a single tire, i guess that is ok as it is a single incident. is it happeningn on al the 4 tyres?
Old 14th November 2007, 09:44   #10
BHPian

Thanks for all your replies!
There are two cracks on one single tyre. I believe, as most of you have pointed out, the cracks are due to aging of the rubber. I am planning to get them changed at the earliest.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crack on the sidewall of tyre.

Is there any possibility to salvage this Bridgestone Potenza that has run 15k kms and is 2 year old.

Crack on the sidewall of Tyre-img_4544.jpg

Crack on the sidewall of Tyre-img_4545.jpg
Old 5th September 2012, 12:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

GET rid of it at the earliest.

The sidewall of the tyre is the WEAKEST part, especially during a turning.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 12:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Is there any possibility to salvage this Bridgestone Potenza that has run 15k kms and is 2 year old.
I too had the same problem. One tyre developed a side wall crack and normal puncture repairs wont do justice. The possible solution is hot patch which is not guaranteed. Hot patch itself would cost between 500-800 depending on the severity of the crack. Since the mechanic wasnt confident, I went in for a second hand tyre which I got it for 800.

I would recommend you to atleast go for a better second hand tyre for the time being or get a new one. Since your tyres clocked only 15kms, I assume other tyres are pretty good. My car clocked over 40k kms and it's time for a new set. Thought I would run another 5k-8k kms before changing the complete set. So decided to go for a single second tyre for the time being.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 13:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Since your tyres clocked only 15kms, I assume other tyres are pretty good.
I had gone for a replacement of all 4 tires 15k kms before and the other 3 are fine.

The 2 cracks have developed almost diametrically opposite, so I guess that it could not be a case of the wheels hitting hard over a pothole.

Are Bridgestones prone to such cracks? I am beginning to loose confidence in them.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
The 2 cracks have developed almost diametrically opposite, so I guess that it could not be a case of the wheels hitting hard over a pothole.

Are Bridgestones prone to such cracks? I am beginning to loose confidence in them.
Well any tire is prone to sidewall cracks if the intensity of hitting a pothole is high. It's not just bridgestone, any other branded tire also could crack if it takes a bad hit.
The other factor could be old tires and hardened rubber which could crack sidewalls/ chip on the surface.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks