Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2007, 19:55   #31

Hi.

I filed a complaint at the Hyderabad Consuemer Forum yesterday.

Some of you wanted to see the pics - here it is - this is also filed in the complaint.

I see the point when some of you suspect this as a quality issue..But here's my question - This is a crack on the sidewall - unless deliberately burst by a tool like a pick-axe or something, how can this happen? So my technically lay-manish mind suspects that if there is (a certain degree of )pressure applied on the tread the side walls tend to burst - this might be too simple to digest - but look at those cracks!

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Regards,
Manu
Old 24th November 2007, 01:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Ah!

I used to be a test driver (3 years of it) for Dana-Spicer in the U.S. I have never seen anything like those cracks and I have seen a lot of punctured and burst tires. My experience has been that a defect will usually be in the tread area where the belts underneath become separated from the tread and the whole tire disintegrates.

Unless someone GROSSLY over inflated those tires perhaps you have a case.
Old 24th November 2007, 14:00   #33
BHPian

Last month just after the expressway both of my left tyres burst after hitting a pothole at 80KM/H. Tyres were Bridgestone Potenza G3 175/60 R13 and done almost 38K. I was about to replace them and this thing happened.

Old 24th November 2007, 15:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Apology for mistaken identity

[quote=esteem_lover;633702]Ricky_63, thad never had any problems with his tyres. He is just a tyre manufacturer's insurer's claims manager. Now we know what you are mr.ginathom. LOL

Sorry ...thad I wanted to address Manu

Esteem Lover - thanks for pointing out the folly

Cheers
Old 24th November 2007, 19:18   #35

Hmmmm...That makes it 2 of us..though I've been driving for only the last 3 years (this is my second car), I've never seen or heard something like this..

If you thought the burst was bad enough, you should hear about the Bridgestone guys bargaining like the company's revenue depended on the fate of this event..25% Sir, Okay 50% Sir..Okay 50 % + 50% after reinspection sir..aaah! disgusting!

My second day at the consumer court today - got a date for 27th - First hearing...Another leave! will keep you posted!

Regards,
Manu.
Old 24th November 2007, 22:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Might be worth pointing out to these guys that it is a couple of tires being talked about here --- it could very well have been a couple of lives.
Old 25th November 2007, 19:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuscript View Post
Hi.

I filed a complaint at the Hyderabad Consuemer Forum yesterday.

Some of you wanted to see the pics - here it is - this is also filed in the complaint.

I see the point when some of you suspect this as a quality issue..But here's my question - This is a crack on the sidewall - unless deliberately burst by a tool like a pick-axe or something, how can this happen? So my technically lay-manish mind suspects that if there is (a certain degree of )pressure applied on the tread the side walls tend to burst - this might be too simple to digest - but look at those cracks!

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Regards,
Manu
Sorry dear
To me it appears to be a dmamge and not a defect. Sidewall of the tyres has been damaged by some sharp object on the road.
Old 26th November 2007, 00:30   #38
BHPian

I wasn't there and I don't know the circumstances but if two tyres got damaged at the same time, I would be inclined to think that it is not a fault of the tyres but rather whatever was on the road that you encountered.

Tyres are not warranted against road hazards. they are warranted against defective manufacturing. Usually, if a road hazard causes tyre failure, it is very difficult to prove that it was defective manufacturing responsible. if two tyres failed simultaneously, the likelihood that they would both have the same manufacturing defect is even further reduced, and the likelihood of road hazard is even higher.

I understand that you may think that the tyres should not have been damaged by whatever you drove them over, but if they were, thats a road hazard, not defective manufacturing.

Good luck with it.
Old 26th November 2007, 00:50   #39

sharp object ? on 2 tires? This is sidewall..not tread..unless you are in a sideways collision with some sharp obects hitting the sidewall of both tires..

There was no collision - So so I know what it is? I do not - and the guys who might know (the tire people) wants to bargain ..

so I am having somethings to keep me busy other than the compensation and benefits portfolio that I manage..

Regards,
Manu.
Old 29th November 2007, 00:31   #40
BHPian

Is Potenza's are something we should stay away from? Hope the companies are not doing field trials on our lives...
Old 29th November 2007, 10:08   #41
BHPian

this may be slightly off topic- my uncle had a sumo which he used in coorg(narrow roads, lots of potholes), he was using the sumo on bridgestone duelers.. after just 15k kilometers he had to replace them because they started splitting from the centre of the tread. he now uses only MRFs and says that hard compound indian tires are the best for our bad roads
Old 29th November 2007, 13:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

i feel bridgestone is having a problem here and that they have to be more cautious with it now.i am sure it can be a sharp object on road thats the culprit here ,but the guy at the tyre dealer has not properly described of what could have gone wrong to emanuscript in a polite manner.thats a case of mannerism maybe,

ram
Old 29th November 2007, 13:25   #43
BHPian

Try and check the Manufacturing date on the Bridgestone tyres. Many times the tyres are almost 3 years old when they get fitted on the rim...
Old 29th November 2007, 14:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Precisely why I went with Michelins, though I like bridgestone better as a company/brand.
Old 29th November 2007, 14:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Precisely why I went with Michelins, though I like bridgestone better as a company/brand.
Kuttapan, manu's case is unfortunate - thought it might be a "one-off" case - if it is a manufacturing defect, the company should be hauled up.

But why do you say that you went with Michelins? You trust this brand better? Any other experiences to recount?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks