Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2007, 16:22   #16
BHPian

It cost me Rs.400 to repair one broken 15" wheel. But I am using it only as a spare & Not so sure about the balance after the repair.
Old 18th December 2007, 16:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

hi mansidea , where did you get it done on cochin ?
Old 15th February 2008, 20:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My rear wheel went over the median when I was taking U turn. I was slow but the the car was pretty shaken. There is no change in the ride. But I am wondering whether I need to:
1) Check alloy for bend
2) Do allignment
3) Do Balancing

Experts, please advise.
Old 15th February 2008, 21:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
He claimed that there is some secret place where they do it and no one is allowed in that place.
Lol. Probably a guy with a hammer and a block of wood in the back room.

Quote:
1) Do alloys bend or disfigure?
2) Can they be repaired?
3) Can scratches be removed by polishing or buffing?
1. Yes. (also as you said, the characteristics of breaking or bending on an extreme impact depend on the construction method used for the alloy)
2. Umm.. i would stay away from any structural repairs. IMO (just an educated guess), bending and alloy, and then bending it back will further weaken it. If there are no problems being caused by your slightly bent rims, leave them be.
3. Yes, fine surface scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
There is no change in the ride. But I am wondering whether I need to:
"If it aint broke, dont fix it"

cya
R
Old 16th February 2008, 00:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
"If it aint broke, dont fix it"
Bingo! Like Rehaan said, if it doesn't cause a problem to you in the form of an imbalanced wheel or a visual bend leave it as is.
Old 16th February 2008, 02:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
I went to a tyre shop at Wilson Garden to get alignment done for my Car. The guy there claims that they repair bent Alloys. I always thought alloys don't bend or disfigure, they break on high impacts. However he showed me an alloy which was bent at the edge and was being taken for repair.

He claimed that there is some secret place where they do it and no one is allowed in that place.

In this thread let us discuss the following points,

1) Do alloys bend or disfigure?
2) Can they be repaired?

there is no secret they put it on the same or better machine used to shape back the OE steel rims have seen at ashoka wheels but they dont really use but try and sell the customer another piece of the brand new alloy but the guys at the WheelTech near parklane sec-bad opp lane to swapnalok complex will do it for you they charged me 150bucks for my steel rim of accent viva once!

that all no secret to it!
Old 16th February 2008, 13:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ishaan and Rehan. Will leave it as it is.
Old 17th February 2008, 19:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
When Deeper scratches , get it repainted
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
However painting could be a better alternative.

Cheers,
Rajan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
1) D
Yes.You can paint the alloys.
People, I got 14" Aura Alloys on my ride.It's been almost three years now and they are scratched and marked badly. I'm about to change my tyres but have no cash to buy new Alloys. Wanted to repaint them, but read in another thread here that u need some kinda special paint for the Aluminium alloys.

Can't I just go to the local garage and after sandpapering the alloys, Use the 2k paint and get it re-painted? Any special paint and method that i need to follow for painting them?

Please advise,
Puffy.
Old 17th February 2008, 19:11   #24
BHPian

Friends, Can you let me know any alloy repair shop in Chennai?
Old 17th February 2008, 21:07   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Can't I just go to the local garage and after sandpapering the alloys, Use the 2k paint and get it re-painted? Any special paint and method that i need to follow for painting them?
This thread would be more suitable to your question (probably also was the thread you were referring to) > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-chroming.html

PM viper and Mad monkey and ask them, they both got their alloys painted black.

cya
R
Old 17th February 2008, 21:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
People, I got 14" Aura Alloys on my ride.It's been almost three years now and they are scratched and marked badly. I'm about to change my tyres but have no cash to buy new Alloys. Wanted to repaint them, but read in another thread here that u need some kinda special paint for the Aluminium alloys.

Puffy - It depends entirely on what finish your alloys have. If it's a machine polish finish (like the finish on the OE City alloys) than you can forget about refinishing but if it's a paint based finish like Silver or Grey or Black then it can definitely be redone. It just needs a good workshop who can do the work carefully & also apply a coat of good quality clear/lacquer afterwards.
Old 18th February 2008, 08:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
there is no secret they put it on the same or better machine used to shape back the OE steel rims have seen at ashoka wheels but they dont really use but try and sell the customer another piece of the brand new alloy but the guys at the WheelTech near parklane sec-bad opp lane to swapnalok complex will do it for you they charged me 150bucks for my steel rim of accent viva once!

that all no secret to it!

Hey Rider,

Thanks for the info that may be handy ....

Cheers!!!
Old 3rd March 2008, 09:54   #28
BHPian

Hi ,

After my weekend drive, I have noticed one of my alloy wheel ( on front right/driver side) has some scrathes towards the edge, I felt hearting to see my well maintained wheels with some scrathes.

This happpend when driving and discussing with my friend and suddenly realised that car was about to ramp , but just turned the streeing immediately.

Nothing major happened, but a small sound as if the car's front tyre hit a small rock... later when I stopped to realise is the scartch.

Guys,

Could you advise me how to try cover up these scratches... any ways?
Old 17th July 2011, 22:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Repair Alloy - Is it possible?

The alloy wheel of my bike (CBR 250) got bent. Is there any recommended place in bangalore where I can repair it? I read some good reviews about the following place
A1 Car Care Centre,
#1/1, Ashoka Pillar Road, Jayanagar.
# 08026577438.

+(91)-9880049305, 9741987786, 9343085404

I would like to replace it, but the replacement from Honda will take ages.
Old 6th September 2011, 06:57   #30
BHPian

Re: Repair Alloy - Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The alloy wheel of my bike (CBR 250) got bent. Is there any recommended place in bangalore where I can repair it? I read some good reviews about the following place
A1 Car Care Centre,
#1/1, Ashoka Pillar Road, Jayanagar.
# 08026577438.

+(91)-9880049305, 9741987786, 9343085404

I would like to replace it, but the replacement from Honda will take ages.
I've fixed a bend to my Alloys as well. This guy does a pretty good job. I drove the car for about 5k before I sold it. I've seen this guy repair alloys that have a portion that has broken off...and its not a hammer and wood block that is used. They use some kind of heat treatment.
This paricular alloy that I got fixed had taken such a beating that it pinched and sheared the tyre at a certain plac. I had to replace the tyre as it was tubeless. That way, steel rims are better. I had two flats in less than a minute. As the second flat was on a stepne which was a steel rim, I found a shop nearby where they used a large hammer to beat the rim back into shape so that it would now hold air for the tubeless tyre.

Lessons learnt
- avoid low profile tyres
- always maintain optimal air pressure
- keep an additional spare wheel during long trips-preferably a steel rimmed one

Last edited by triedeverything : 6th September 2011 at 07:00.
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks