Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 01:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I checked with the Skoda showroom on availability of 17 in rims. They are available and cost Rs.16000/- each. I do not want to pay 64 K for a set of wheels.
17" wheels from skoda cost only 11-12k. The price quoted to you is wrong. Try checking it with some other dealer. My dealer was ready to give me 4 wheels for 40k.
Old 30th August 2009, 14:26   #17
BHPian

wheel upsize for fabia using laura alloys?

Is this done? Possible?
Can one use the 16 inchers on the Laura as a wheel upsize on a Fabia?
Just curious, given that Skoda India does not give one too much by way of options in the wheels and tyres department. The website says you could get 15 inchers. The international site shows alloys for 16" options too.
(sorry if this sounds really dumb, but any illumination would be useful!)
Old 30th August 2009, 16:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, Laura has 112PCD.

Same as Mercs.

What many tyre dealers do is to just modify 114.3 PCD rims to 112 PCD. Like how they modify 100PCD rims to 98 PCD to fit Fiat vehicles.

Dont get such stuff done as it is very risky and can lead to wobbling and unstability at high speeds.

Getting rims for the Laura is very difficult as very few companies bring112 PCD rims into India.
Old 26th June 2011, 17:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: alloys for laura

Guys,
am planning on getting a Laura TSi and upgrading the rims from the 15" that is currently standard to the 17" Skoda rims. What would be the pros and cons of such a move? Would my handling suffer? Suspension?

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 26th June 2011, 18:46   #20
BHPian

seek something like this one..

Alloy wheels for the Skoda Laura-23092330079_large.jpg
Old 26th June 2011, 21:10   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Guys,
am planning on getting a Laura TSi and upgrading the rims from the 15" that is currently standard to the 17" Skoda rims. What would be the pros and cons of such a move? Would my handling suffer? Suspension?

Thanks!
I bought an Ambiente TSi in May recently. I upgraded to 16" L&K Alloys from the 15" Ambiente ones with dealer himself. I opted for 16" on 205/55 Michelin PLCs since I felt that 16" would me the best compromise between good ride and decent handling.THe OE Goodyears were no good and ride on the 16" PLCs is definitely better than the Goodyeas NCTs. The handling of course is much better. The 16" size is standard on Elegance and L&K versions so the suspension, which is common accross all variants, can handle this combination.

If you opt for 17", then you will have go for 17" Superb Alloys. You will have to go for 225/45 tyres on the 17" rims to maintain the same overall circumference for speedo readings. On such a low profile, of course the handling and control will be excellent, but the ride may be quite harsh, and you will have take care not to thrash the car over poor section of roads as you may damage the alloys. One BHPian from Bangalore, upgraded to 17" on his TSi and feels the ride is OK and not as bad as one might think. But you may want to check with the dealer for warranty issues. Some dealers are not allowing owners to upgrade, saying that it would void warranty. Aftermarket alloys of course would be a no no because of PCD issues and warranty.
Old 26th June 2011, 22:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Guys,

Thanks!
I upgraded the stock 15" alloys to 17" ones with Michellin tyres. In layman terms, I did not notice any difference in ride comfort when driving with the 17" alloys. You can feel the road surface as you drive and it gives a good feeling. On the downside, you run the risk of scratching your alloys against the kerbs as the tyre sidewall is not high. Hence extra caution is needed.

Here is a more detailed discussion in my recent post on the same in another thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2353430

My advice is to go for it
Old 6th September 2011, 02:03   #23
BHPian

Enkei Rims for Skoda Laura

Hi Guys, Need a shop in delhi/NCR that stocks Enkei Rims or can import them.

Laura PDC (112x5).

Also need good all season tyre recommendations.
Old 15th January 2012, 23:14   #24

Re: Alloy wheels for the Skoda Laura

Guys I want to upgrade the wheels on my Skoka Laura to 17", or preferably 18". I live in Mumbai. Can anyone help me with the following:

1. Where can I go to get the upgrade done reliably, with tires?
2. Also, the wheel-well gap is too much for me. Anywhere I can get the car lowered by about an inch?
3. Since I'm at it, where in Mumbai can I get the ECU remap done? Pete's wants the car sent to Chennai, which won't work for me.

Any help would be much appreciated!

D.
Old 16th January 2012, 00:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshisen View Post
Guys I want to upgrade the wheels on my Skoka Laura to 17", or preferably 18". I live in Mumbai. Can anyone help me with the following:

2. Also, the wheel-well gap is too much for me. Anywhere I can get the car lowered by about an inch?
3. Since I'm at it, where in Mumbai can I get the ECU remap done? Pete's wants the car sent to Chennai, which won't work for me.

D.
Are you sure you want to do this?

A few points:

- Go for it, only if you're confident about spending a bomb on your set. Apart from some modification to the suspension, be ready to shell out lots of money on low profile tyres and wheels. And since the rubber is a lot less, it will wear faster. Much faster than stock tyres. You might have to go through several sets of wheels and tyres, in a period of time that would otherwise be dealt with, with just one set.

- The ride is going to be really hard on 18" wheels. Are you ready to spend money on changing your wheels often, or touching them up every other week? 18" wheels are more prone to damage. Debris on the road, pavements, unscientific speed-breakers, undulation, etc could upset your wheels badly. So be ready to baby your car through even slightly rough roads. Speed-breakers will have to be negotiated very gently.

- Remember, dropping the height of your car will only make it that much closer to the road. Which isn't particularly a good thing in our country. It will reduce the practicality of the car, and you'll have a hard time driving with more than 1 passenger.

- And lastly, you're going to be driving in Mumbai, and not o the streets of Los Angeles.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th January 2012 at 00:47.
Old 16th January 2012, 00:58   #26

@suhaas307 - Thanks for replying. Appreciate the feedback. I've thought about this, and probably will have to "settle" for 17s. I just know the 16s that are on the car now are no good. I may not lower the car after all since a car full of people, as you mentioned, will automatically lower it.

Any recommendation on a alloy wheels dealer in Mumbai who sells and installs the wheels and tires? Also - some of the previous comments suggest Skoda themselves might sell 17s. The showroom in Bandra and Breach Candy said NO! Is there a magic showroom that does?

Again, thanks for the help. Also - Mumbai driving can be fun just like L.A. too! I'm here now so might as well make the best of it.
Old 16th January 2012, 14:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshisen View Post

D.
Forget 18s, it will be too difficult and expensive for you. Check out 17s, which is a good compromise between looks and ride.

1) Pal tyres at Opera house. The information is there is the Tbhp directory. He will source whatever tyres and rims you need, aftermarket that it.
2) I'd have to advise you against lowering. You will find the ride too uncomfortable. If anything get the bilstein suspension from Pete's.
3) Is yours a Tsi? You don't have to send the car, just the ECU will be sent and you will get it back in 2 days time. Peter himself to me this.
Old 16th June 2012, 17:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Help me choose an alloy for Skoda Laura!

Guys, I am in the lookout for 17in alloys for my car. I am getting Borbet alloys and have the following options. It would be great if you can throw in your opinion as well. The car is a FL Skoda Laura White.

A link to the car:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...bhp-tap-3.html

I am a sucker for clean 5 spoke designs, hence love the one marked. Let me konw what you guys think.

Name:  Screen Shot 20120616 at 5.30.35 PM.png
Views: 38715
Size:  380.5 KB
Old 17th June 2012, 01:42   #29
BHPian

Re: Help me choose an alloy for Skoda Laura!

4th or 5th on the top most row would look good. I personally prefer the 4th one top row.Very crude try in ms paint sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy wheels for the Skoda Laura-image905661141.png.jpg  

Last edited by dockap : 17th June 2012 at 02:02.
Old 17th June 2012, 01:53   #30
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help me choose an alloy for Skoda Laura!

The one you've selected won't go with a Laura IMO. Get either BS5, CW2, LS or LVS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks