Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2008, 09:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

I check tyre pressures three times a day. Early in the morning, bang at noon and after dinner. That's what the doctor ordered.
Old 4th May 2008, 22:59   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I check tyre pressures three times a day. Early in the morning, bang at noon and after dinner. That's what the doctor ordered.
You gotta be kidding me, right?

I give the entire car a once over with each tank of fuel. Generally, either day of the weekend translates to a full tank of fuel, fluids top-up and air pressure check. Also a good idea to generally look around the car and ascertain that everything looks right.
Old 4th May 2008, 23:30   #33
BHPian

Once a Week

I find a drop in tyre pressure if I don't fill it once a week. Don't know the reason.
I have started filling 1 psi more ever since and things have been good from week to week. Dont know the reason. I drive 4 km before a filling air and it takes me 20 minutes to get there. I drive about 300Km a week.

Any advise ? The tyres are 2 years old, and in good shape, No other issues - its a corolla - tyres are Bridgestone Potenza RE-88(the standard ones).

thanks

Last edited by subbarp : 4th May 2008 at 23:31. Reason: tyre names added
Old 5th May 2008, 13:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Any particular reason to do so, or is it just a phobia? I check tyre pressure when I fill fuel in my trucks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Old 5th May 2008, 13:29   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
I find a drop in tyre pressure if I don't fill it once a week. Don't know the reason.
I have started filling 1 psi more ever since and things have been good from week to week. Dont know the reason. I drive 4 km before a filling air and it takes me 20 minutes to get there. I drive about 300Km a week.

Any advise ? The tyres are 2 years old, and in good shape, No other issues - its a corolla - tyres are Bridgestone Potenza RE-88(the standard ones).

thanks
This is exactly what even i do. Even i find that within a week, my tyre pressure goes down from 32psi to 28-29psi.

And, oh boy after the tyre pressure there is renewed vigour to the car's accelaration.
Old 5th May 2008, 22:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

I check my tyre pressure once in two weeks when I go to petrol pump to top up the fuel.
Old 7th May 2008, 00:36   #37
BHPian

What's the best tyre pressure gauge available in India? As in, one that you can carry with you. And where can one buy it from?

Oh.. my answer. Check it every 10 days or so.. Usually whenever I fill petrol, unless the queue is very long.
Old 13th September 2013, 19:59   #38
BHPian

Re: How often should i check my tyre pressure

Sorry to post in this old thread, but the title is most appropriate. The tyres of my Zen are 8 months/2000 odd kms old, and I check the pressure every time i tank up, i.e. every 300 kms or so.

It seems that one of the valve stems is leaking. My tyre seller (a really nice person) told me to fill air every 2 months or so, and fill it to 34-35 psi. He says it'll ensure the valves don't go bad soon. Any comments?
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 01:51   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
My tyre seller (a really nice person) told me to fill air every 2 months or so, and fill it to 34-35 psi. He says it'll ensure the valves don't go bad soon. Any comments?
I'm clueless as to how maintaining high pressure would increase yield more love to valves?! Isn't 34-35 psi high for the Zen? I guess 30-32 psi woild be enough.

Keep checking the pressure everyone you go for fuel full and top up air if necessary. The pressure loss due to leakages must not be alarming. If you fill 32 psi, after a week it should be between 26-28 psi.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 01:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Since I am very sensitive to tyre pressures, I check it once every week at night, when the tyres are absolutely cold as the ambient temperature.

The pressure has generally gone down by a PSI or two in the front tyres and 1 PSI at the rears.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 02:10   #41
BHPian

I check my tyre pressure once in 3 days. So no issues in case of emergency.
Old 14th September 2013, 02:16   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If you fill 32 psi, after a week it should be between 26-28 psi.
A drop of 6 psi in a week?!

Across all my cars (Zen, Corsa, City), there have been times when I've been able to check air only after a month or so. And I've observed a drop of maybe 2 psi. 6psi/week seems unusually high.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 02:27   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

A drop of 6 psi in a week?!

And I've observed a drop of maybe 2 psi. 6psi/week seems unusually high.
Irt told 6 psi add he mentioned there is leakage from valve stems. So the pressure drop would be more. Right?!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 08:40   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
It seems that one of the valve stems is leaking. My tyre seller (a really nice person) told me to fill air every 2 months or so, and fill it to 34-35 psi. He says it'll ensure the valves don't go bad soon. Any comments?
Agree with a4anurag here. How can life be improved by increasing the pressure ? Increasing the pressure will increase stress on the valve / valve stem- which ever is already weak.

Suggestions:
1. Get that tyre checked at another place. Ask local TBHP-ians for suggestions.
2. Get a pressure guage (mechanical is sufficien). Check once a week.

3. Stick to manufacturer recommeded pressure levels for optimum tyre life & ride comfort. Higher pressure will cause more wear of centre section of tyre.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 20:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I'm clueless as to how maintaining high pressure would increase yield more love to valves?! Isn't 34-35 psi high for the Zen? I guess 30-32 psi woild be enough.

Keep checking the pressure everyone you go for fuel full and top up air if necessary. The pressure loss due to leakages must not be alarming. If you fill 32 psi, after a week it should be between 26-28 psi.

Anurag.
The logic he gave was the the very act of pressure check, esp. at a petrol pump, is stressful for the valve/valve stem. So one bumps up the pressure at one go, and lets it slowly leak to whatever level is unacceptable over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Agree with a4anurag here. How can life be improved by increasing the pressure ? Increasing the pressure will increase stress on the valve / valve stem- which ever is already weak.

Suggestions:
1. Get that tyre checked at another place. Ask local TBHP-ians for suggestions.
2. Get a pressure guage (mechanical is sufficien). Check once a week.

3. Stick to manufacturer recommeded pressure levels for optimum tyre life & ride comfort. Higher pressure will cause more wear of centre section of tyre.
I agree that every vehicle owner must have a pressure gauge, its not expensive and can be handy in case you are filling at a roadside tyrewallah.

Most Viewed