Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2008, 14:10   #1
BHPian

Yoko es 100 woes, need a new set

Hey friends,

I'd like to share my experience with you regarding the ES100.

We got a City Vtec last year in March and shod her with 195/60-14 YOKO ES100. Now the odo reads 20,000 Kms.

To say the least, the grip on the tyres are unbelievable. They hug the road like anything. Also, they have greatly improved the straight line stability which was otherwise quite poor in City ZX version besides improving handling a lot. I can consistently drive it at around 130-140 kph on highways and similarly maintain a avg speed of 45-50 kmph on the hills. So all this explains how the ES100 tyres are. Simple awesome.

But..............
I've been unfortunate to face 3 tyre bursts, the most recent one being on our trip to ranikhet last weekend. The speed was around 40 kph and had the pothole was not even big enough to give a big jolt and the next moment we have a burst tyre. The earlier instance was at a higher speed, so I didn't bother too much about it. Also the oldest tyre seems quite worn out. I don't think it will last beyond 25,000 Kms. This experience has made me thinking of going for a different set of tyres.

Please share your experience with ES100. What I'm facing is unusual or it happens? I always knew that tyre life will be low on a sports tyre but again I had expected it to go 35-40 K kms. Isn't 25K too less ?

So now I'm looking to change the tyres. Since the initial vtec craze is over and the car is mostly with dad, i'm looking to get comfort oriented tyres with decent grip and good tyre life.

I'm thinking about getting Michelin Energy XM1 in the same size. Please let me know the approx cost and if they'd last around 45-50K Kms. Should I consider some other tyres as well.

Right now I've 3 ES100 lefts. I plan to use them till they are completely worn out on the front and get 2 new tyres for the back. Later ( about 10K kms) I'll get 2 more tyres and initially use them at front before doing tyre rotation. Will this create some serious trouble or is this configuration OK. Don't want to waste the remaining life of the yokos and anyways Michelin's not exactly cheap

Waiting for the replys.
Naman
Old 27th February 2008, 14:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Why not try and see if you can sell them for something. If you must mix, try and keep the same pair of tyres on each axle. Also drive carefully on the mixed set till you understand the new characteristics.

I have the same tyres on my OHC vtec and have had no problems
Old 27th February 2008, 14:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Doubt if you can get new ES100's in the market..Last I heard, they were rare commodity. Check the tyre threads for alternatives.

BTW, Did u mean 3 punctures? Dunno how anyone can survive thru 3 burst tyres !! u must be very lucky indeed.

One of my ES100 tyres didnt leak air for 1 whole day with 3 nails in it. God only knows when the first 2 nails got embedded !!
Old 27th February 2008, 14:53   #4
BHPian

One of my frens has used the same on IKON NXT for 42K...
Old 27th February 2008, 15:00   #5
BHPian

I have ES100s on my Esteem and have completed 20K kilometres already. The grip is amazing, no tyre noise and no issues whatsoever. Looks like this set will see another another 10-15K KM atleast.

Naman, are you sure they were bursts and not punctures?
Old 27th February 2008, 15:05   #6
BHPian

i have it on my baleno too and havent experienced any problems yet.u might be unlucky to get a defected set.And as someone mentioned the es100's are very difficult to find now.The s-drives more easily available.
Old 27th February 2008, 15:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
But..............
I've been unfortunate to face 3 tyre bursts, the most recent one being on our trip to ranikhet last weekend.
Ok, let me clarify this, you faced 3 tyre bursts?? As in 3 different tyres bursting or just one bursting again & again?

I'm confused because below you mention that you still have 3 tyres left.

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting Michelin Energy XM1 in the same size. Please let me know the approx cost and if they'd last around 45-50K Kms. Should I consider some other tyres as well.
They should last around that much & should cost in the region of 3600-3800 each. And as long as you use same tyres on either axle, it should work just fine.
Old 27th February 2008, 15:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you need more mileage from the tyre go for some hard compound ones like -mrf zvts.Its a good combination of grip and life of tyre.
We have tyre gurus who would be in a better position to explain.
ram
Old 27th February 2008, 15:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

No problems with the ES 100's whatsoever. Having different tyres on front back is not the best thing to do, but if it has to be done. Drive with restrain.

Are the tyres mounted right (as in directionally) because if the tyres are not mounted right they are bound to wear off much faster.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 27th February 2008 at 15:28.
Old 27th February 2008, 15:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
If you need more mileage from the tyre go for some hard compound ones like -mrf zvts.Its a good combination of grip and life of tyre.
Saar, please! Never recommend MRFs here on team-bhp.
I've had only tragic experiences.
Old 27th February 2008, 15:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dont you get warranty? I mean cant you claim?

Tyres arent supposed to do that and 3 pieces!

Hope it was the same piece which had the issue coz of bad puncture repair.
Old 27th February 2008, 15:38   #12
BHPian

as far as this link goes the tire your mentioning sounds great it shouldn't have burst but regarding the life thats what you can get from a performance rubber esp yoko!!
Yokohama's AVS ES100 - the Right Combination of Performance and Value
Old 27th February 2008, 16:51   #13
BHPian

Hey guys,

Yeah, the tyres were mounted in the right direction. And I used to do wheel rotation every 5K kms. Infact I even check the air pressure at every fuel fill i.e almost once in 2 weeks. Air pressure was 32/30 as recommended by honda.

By bursts, I mean bursts and not punctures. The tyres didn't burst just while running but on a pothole. Perhaps I hit the edge of the pothole. Actually the side wall of the tyre cut causing the burst. After the first tyre burst, I had to buy a new tyre because burst tyre can't be repaired. Similarly after the second burst I had bought one more tyre. Now on the last trip third tyre burst and this was at just 40 kph and on a pothole which wasn't large enough to even be felt inside. So now instead of buying one more ES100, I want to change the tyre set.

Initially, I had got only 4 ES100 tyres and stepney was some other same sized tyre. Right now the car has 3 ES100 tyres and one other tyre. There is no stepney. So i'm planning to shift the other tyre to garage, get 2 new michelins xm1 in the back, use two yokos in the front and the third yoko as stepney. I want to completely wear out the remaining yokos before finally changing.

As far as warranty is concerned, these Yokos were from grey market as they were bought before yoko was launched in India. So my bad luck.

I'm put up in f'bad. Is there a reliable team-bhp tyre source there who could look up the tyres in person and see if there is some other problem and can provide me with michelins.

I hop I made things clear. Let me know for further clarifications.
Old 27th February 2008, 17:21   #14
Team-BHP Support

kpzen in faridabad may be able to help you.
As for the new tires, till now I have used 2 brands on horrendous hilly roads in the himalayas, involving deep potholes and sharp stones.
Never have I encountered a burst on such a terrain.
First were Bridgestone Potenza GIII's and now the car runs acelere's

As for the incident which you had(3 bursts) can you tell me whether it was the Same rim?
If all three bursts were on the same rim, it could be a rim related problem.
Now if it was the same rim, did that rim get hot while running?
Old 27th February 2008, 17:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no stepney. So i'm planning to shift the other tyre to garage, get 2 new michelins xm1 in the back, use two yokos in the front and the third yoko as stepney.
From a safety angle, I think its better to put the Yokos in the back.. U'll probably have some steering control even if they burst again. However, I noticed that the front tyres wear out faster than the rear ones.. so Yoko's in the rear will take their own sweet time to wear out.

Better still, get rid of them.. They are obviously from a bad batch for it to happen 3 times in a row. Safety is more important than cost of couple of tyres. I had a similar sidewall hole on one of the ES100 tyres. Cant call it a burst because the hole was small and let air out slowly. No idea how it happened because I wasn't driving the car at the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks