Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 08:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

People have used 235 with OE rims but I guess its not recommended for long run.
Old 4th September 2008, 19:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
People have used 235 with OE rims but I guess its not recommended for long run.
You mean 255/65 R16 has been used but not recommended.
Old 9th October 2008, 20:29   #18
BHPian

Hi nitrous
Based on your recomendation I did not upsize the Safari 2.2 VTT tyres for the vehicle I just bought. I fitted Aura Alloys with 235/70 R 16 LTX AT2 Micheline.
Beautiful tyres but these touch the front bumpers on full turns! Isnt this surprising because these are the same size as the Brighestone Duellres that came as the originals?
The tyres are undoubtedly superb and worth every penny.
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:52   #19
BHPian

Which upgrade for Safari 2.2 Vtt Dicor 4x4 VX

Hi everyone,

This thread looks dead for a while, however my query is what has been discussed here.
I am booking my Safari VX 4x4 in a few days time. I am considering an upgrade/ upsize for the tyres.

The brochure says -
Wheel - 6.5 J 16
Tyres - 235/70 R 16, 105 S
Brand - Not mentioned

I have been browsing thru and found out the following tyres are being considered by Safari enthusiasts.

1. Yokohama
2. Michellin
3. Apollo
4. Bridgestone
5. Goodrich
6. Some more...

I have the following queries -

1. What are the stock tyres on Safari 2.2 vx 4x4 (someone who have recently bought or generally keeps track - Pl help)

2. Do they really need upgrade? ( I will be driving 30% city, 50% Highway, 20% Off Road - I am including village dirt roads as off road)

3. In an upgrade is suggested, which ones are to be considered?

4. I have read that one needs to buy 7" alloys for high performance Off road tyres. Do we have any reasonable tyre option in 6.5" stock alloys? (I rather like the design of the stock alloys on safari)

5. If an alloy rim change is indeed needed - what are the good options in 7"?

6. Price info on suggested tyres and alloys in Mumbai and dealer contacts (if anyone has one)

7. I will try to pester the car dealer (Wasan Motor - chembur) to give me buy back if I decide to change my tyres. I am 90% sure they wont oblige. In that case what kind of buy back values can I expect from a tyre dealer?

Off the Tyre Topic -

8. If anyone has bought a safari from Wasan - how do you rate them? Should I have considered any other dealer in Mumbai. (On visit, I found them to be the most professional and equipped for sellinga safari compared to other dealers I visited. But this is first impression only and will really appreciate if someone could share his experience with this dealer).

** I tried to look around for a dealer review on Wasan Motors but couldn't find. I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me to a relevant thread if this has already been discussed.

9. I am considering the "Mountain Green" color. I will really appreciate if someone could share real world photos of a Mountain Green safari. I like this color as this resembles the color of my first love - The jeep. (Rejected by Wife!)

Thanks a lot in advance.
Sen
Mumbai
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
2. Do they really need upgrade? ( I will be driving 30% city, 50% Highway, 20% Off Road - I am including village dirt roads as off road)

The stock tires(235/70 R16) will do for village dirt roads. Im using them in my EX-4x4. Bridgestone dueller A/T is the oem tire provided by Tata. Upgrade will be necessary if you are planning extreme off road in wet, slushy and sandy terrain. Thats when the oem Bridgestones are no good.

Off the Tyre Topic -

8. If anyone has bought a safari from Wasan - how do you rate them? Should I have considered any other dealer in Mumbai. (On visit, I found them to be the most professional and equipped for sellinga safari compared to other dealers I visited. But this is first impression only and will really appreciate if someone could share his experience with this dealer).

** I tried to look around for a dealer review on Wasan Motors but couldn't find. I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me to a relevant thread if this has already been discussed.

Wasan is a good dealer. My truck came from Wasan Marine lines. But do your own PDI using the TBHP checklist in their yard before they send it for registration.

Service at Wasan is equally good. service support as i have experienced is above par compared to other dealers in Mumbai.

9. I am considering the "Mountain Green" color. I will really appreciate if someone could share real world photos of a Mountain Green safari. I like this color as this resembles the color of my first love - The jeep. (Rejected by Wife!)

Its worth rejecting. Good decision by your wife.

ADC has a mountain green Safari on this forum. Check his garage or PM him for pics.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Sen
Mumbai
My reply in bold.
Safari 4x4 is a very good buy. Good luck.

Cheers.
J

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 22nd March 2009 at 22:21.
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:34   #21
BHPian

Hey Dude!
Thanks for the answers.

Say I want to travel to Rajasthan (travel to interiors - Like TSK) will this Bridgestone A/T suffice? (should ask him... now I think of this!)
Village dirt tracks may get muddy and slushy in rains - will this tyre hold out then?

Color -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...km-done-4.html

Checked out the snaps of Ishlesh's car from this above thread.
Also checked out the photos of ADC's car.

Safari LX 2.2 VTT-TMT - adc's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

Kind of confused! Are they the same colour? I prefer the color of Ishlesh's car. Which is closer to on road reality?

It would be great help if someone could point me out to the Pre Delivery Inspection checklist on the forum.

Again...
Thanks a ton dude!

Sen
Mumbai
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Dude!
Thanks for the answers.

Say I want to travel to Rajasthan (travel to interiors - Like TSK) will this Bridgestone A/T suffice? (should ask him... now I think of this!)
Village dirt tracks may get muddy and slushy in rains - will this tyre hold out then?

Color -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...km-done-4.html

Checked out the snaps of Ishlesh's car from this above thread.
Also checked out the photos of ADC's car.

Safari LX 2.2 VTT-TMT - adc's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

Kind of confused! Are they the same colour? I prefer the color of Ishlesh's car. Which is closer to on road reality?

It would be great help if someone could point me out to the Pre Delivery Inspection checklist on the forum.

Again...
Thanks a ton dude!

Sen
Mumbai
AT tires do hold out in rain wetted village roads unless its not TOO TOO slushy. For sand driving in RJ or beach or desert with soft sand you will need to deflate your tires to 13-15psi. Else you are likely to get stuck regardless of the tires you have.
If you opt for MT tires, your onroad performance of the tires might not be as good as AT. So take your Pick. You may decide to opt for better AT tires though. Yokos are good. Even BF Goodrich.
the link to all your PDI queries:
On buying a car - Team-BHP
Old 23rd March 2009, 09:25   #23
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Color -
Mine is the Cycus Gray or whatever they say.

For Mountain Green see these two links and there are still may be a couple or so more threads with MG colour.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-2-ex-4x2.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ari-2-2-a.html
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

Pirelli comes with a 245/70R16 AT tire and it costs around 5000 a piece. So if you are wary of a 255, a 245 should be a nice compromise?
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:28   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Bridgestone dueller A/T is the oem tire provided by Tata.

Interesting. I always thought the Bridgestone Dueler H/T were the OE tyres. In tubed version for the 3.0 and in tubeless version for the 2.2

The Bridgestone India site doesn't even list A/T tyres.
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Interesting. I always thought the Bridgestone Dueler H/T were the OE tyres. In tubed version for the 3.0 and in tubeless version for the 2.2

The Bridgestone India site doesn't even list A/T tyres.
i guess ur right. Typo error.
Old 25th March 2009, 15:09   #27
BHPian

Yokohama or Pirelli

Hi Guys,

Thanks a ton for all these inputs.

Tires -

I guess my choices boil down to Pirelli Vs. Yokohama.

As for sand driving, I would need to deflate any of these tyres. I guess Tsk has done extensive sand driving without needing to deflate.

@Tsk :- Have you used pirelli tyres or anything else?

As such I don't have much issues with changing the alloys. But I am not sure if 7" alloys will bring up suspension, wheels touching some part of car body or other mysterious issues.

If someone has used 7" alloys with 255 tyres, please please advise. Will this upgrade be digested by the rest of the car easily or will there be lots of burps and ...
I really like to see wide tires with big teeth on the safari!

Other than this, I am looking for tyre dealers in mumbai who deal with these brands. A search in google for "yokohama dealer mumbai" or "pirelli dealer mumbai" didn't throw up anything meaningful.
If anyone has done this upgrade in mumbai, please point me to your dealer.

Color -

My heart is with mountain green, wife says black.

Dealer -
I am going to go ahead with Wasan motor chembur. jaysmokesleaves has already got a good exp with them. Plus, I did a survey in my society and office parking. 95% of the tata cars sport Wasan Motors sticker. I guess that's enough!

Guys please keep posting the input. I am totally relying on Team Bhp to help me in this. You are the only people who knows 4x4 here in India.

Sen
Old 25th March 2009, 15:39   #28
Team-BHP Support

Nope I have experience with Only Bridgestones in my Safari. I mentioned pirelly because I saw them lying with a dealer at Karol bagh. both 245/70R16 and 255/70R16 were available.
But I am not sure if they were grey market imports or through official channels
Old 25th March 2009, 15:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

255's on 7J is a good idea, they tend to bulge a bit on the stock 6.5J rims.

And Pirelli's are grey imports only, no official presence in India.
Old 25th March 2009, 17:23   #30
BHPian

Spoke to some people at Tata Service Centre.
They are saying 7J with 255 tires will not cause any problem to the vehicle, suspension etc.., but the kmpl may reduce a bit. According to them wider tires will always have this effect. But they denied to put a figure on this, like how much reduction in kmpl would I suffer.

Anyone using wider tires have faced this? Is the effect really worrisome or rather negligible?
If its not much, then I would decide to go with Yoko Geolander 255 on 7J.

Have spoken to some tyre dealers. They are yet to get back to me with price quotes for a set of 5 such tyres and the buy back they would offer on my stock tyres.
I'll post the results and seek opinion as soon as I have them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks