Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 20:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Michelin "Energy XM1+" or Goodyear "Assurance"

Hey folks looking for a good set of tires for my Adventure, it should be tough, good side walls and suits BAD roads or no roads ex Ladakh

Have shortlisted these 2 tires

Energy XM1+" & Goodyear "Assurance"

Let me know which is good or any other tire??
Old 19th August 2008, 21:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Firstly congrats Lohith and having used Michelin XM1 i can say XM1+ is a good bet but am not sure about Goodyear as i had never used it. Haven't you thought of Bridgestone series? Based on reviews on the forum i think many members can vouch for Michelin and Bridgestone compared to Goodyear.
Old 19th August 2008, 21:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

VJ, thanks. yea have heard a lot of Michelin and i myself have experienced Bridgestone Turanza, sadly Turanza profile is 60 for 195 size ..am keen on 70. this was my first choice but now have to look for an alternative...
Old 19th August 2008, 21:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

hmm.. michelins are known to have soft sidewalls so i dunno how the xm1 would fare in ladakh. maybe tyre bhagwaan can share some thoughts.
Old 19th August 2008, 21:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Lohith why don't you take the plunge and be the 1st person on this forum to try the Goodyear Assurance ?

Everyone who has tried a specific brand of tyre will try to put his mouth where he has put his money. So even if I did buy the el-cheapo Indian MRF or JK, my reply would be yeah they are really good.

Ishaan where art thou?
Old 19th August 2008, 21:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Michelin XM1+ are proven tyres, Goodyear Assurance appears to be good tyre.

Lohith, maybe you should take the first plunge with Assurance!
Old 19th August 2008, 21:46   #7
BHPian

I have used XM1s over all sorts of terrain over the past 2 years. You can use them even in Leh, provided you inflate them hard (cold pressure at least 33 PSI).

If used with lower pressure (cold pressure 25-27 PSI) on bad terrain, your rims would suffer. I have paid the price twice.
Old 19th August 2008, 22:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Hey folks looking for a good set of tires for my Adventure, it should be tough, good side walls and suits BAD roads or no roads ex Ladakh

Have shortlisted these 2 tires

Energy XM1+" & Goodyear "Assurance"

Let me know which is good or any other tire??
If you are choosing between the 2 then Michelin Energy XM1+ is indeed better as been stated on this forum 100 of times. Try searching the threads and you will get a fair enough idea.
Old 20th August 2008, 00:57   #9
BHPian

recently i had a look at the Goodyear Assurance tyre. and based on your needs i would not recommend these. these tyres are very very soft. the sidewalls are very relaxed and in overall the tyre is pretty soft.
OT: at the time we were making a comparizon between the BF Goodrichs, Pilot Precedas and the Good year Assurance. all size 195/60 r14. the PPs seem to be the best option but then they are a bit pricey and apart from that they would fit the bill just right! the BF Goodrichs dont have many reviews/updates since it is a relatively newer tyre in the market.
Old 20th August 2008, 04:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Lohith why don't you take the plunge and be the 1st person on this forum to try the Goodyear Assurance ?
Lohith, to be frank I have no experience with the Assurance's yet so would not be able to comment on a comparison between them & the XM1's. But I would agree with Riju here, if you like them why not go in for them & give us a review of the same?? In short, please become the guinea pig!

Quote:
Everyone who has tried a specific brand of tyre will try to put his mouth where he has put his money. So even if I did buy the el-cheapo Indian MRF or JK, my reply would be yeah they are really good.
Very true, people only relate to what they've fitted/experienced. And unfortunately the difference can only be felt once to change to something better.

Quote:
Ishaan where art thou?
Been travelling like mad Riju!
Old 20th August 2008, 07:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton for all those suggestions guys

Riju & Ishaan, Here i better be at a safer side even Ashwin from Iyengar & Sons, Indiranagar suggested me to go for MIc... though he sells both brands. The best part of Mich.. is that its recommended for Qualis too. i assume should be a better choice since i dont have much options..

Vipul, Your inputs have taken me one step closer towards mich...hehe

Ashwin, Thanks... did you compare the GY's compound to any other tire in that range? a big NO to a soft compound...

Last edited by lohithrao : 20th August 2008 at 07:52.
Old 20th August 2008, 07:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guys any idea about the imported tires? like Hankook, Cooper etc
Old 20th August 2008, 08:54   #13
BHPian

You guys had asked for a guinea pig! I am one now.

Bought 205/60R15 GoodYear Assurance for my Elantra this weekend, 4800 a piece ... Have driven less than 1000 kms with them, so cant comment much. One thing is sure though, the ride quality has improved by miles, compared to that on my old Appolo Acceleres...
Dry grip was good too, as one of my overtakings did prove that the Assurance have good grip. I will put up a different thread once I have tried out different surfaces with the tyre. So far the experience has been good. The dealer, who distributes Goodyears al over Kerala did warn me that these tyres cannot be considered as high mileage tyres. I liked them and bought them, rest will hopefully follow.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

For Adventure which is mini SUV Michellin XM1+ might not suit well but I feel you won't do too much of offroading, by considerring Michellin is imported and goodyear assurance is manufactured in India I suggest XM1+ which is proven.

Goodyear is anyday scores less than michellin and bridgetsone.

For Indian bad road best brand is bridgestone becasue it has better sidewall.

But I heard XM1+ is comfort oriented tyre so buy Michellins only you can also check out other Michellins variants like lattitude or something which comes similar to SUV tyres.

Ravi.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:15   #15
BHPian

The Goodyear Assurance is being offered with a 1 week / 500 km risk free trial promo activity. But you can only get the tyres replaced with any other comparable tyre of Goodyear like GT3 / Ducaro /NCT5 etc. No cash refunds allowed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks