Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 08:31   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Before jacking up, read the user manual of the vehicle carefully about how to change the spare tire. It will help.
I did that but they show a different jack in the picture and mine has a step like split surface, didn't know where to position it.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:11   #17
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

[quote=hemanthisgreat;987794] Buy only 5 adhesive sticks as not many will be used. The repair kit comprises everything except the plier to remove the nail. Buy the plier elsewhere. All instructions are mentioned in the kit.[quote=hemanthisgreat;987794]

Is it possible to buy the sticks separately? How much does that cost. I am assuming the needle to insert the sticks is part of the kit. They charge 100 Rs for a 5 min job and i am seriously considering DIY.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

You guys might want to read this old thread started by me. My experience with nail in the tyre and my effort to fix it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...bari-road.html

By the way Zaks, if you aren't sure about how to change tyres I would suggest don't try it alone the first time - you might seriously compromise safety, both for yourself and for the car. Take the car to a tyre repair shop and watch how they do it all. Fixing a puncture may sound and look easy, in real life it is not and certainly not easy doing it the first time without guidance.
If you can gulp your pride tell the tyre repair guy that you want to do it yourself infront of them so that you may learn (always a good idea to know how to do things yourself). They might laugh but will help.
If the car is not drivable get someone to come to your house and replace the tyre.
One tyre out of four cannot get unusually deflated due to rough driving. There must be a nail somewhere. Best of luck with finding it.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 24th September 2008 at 10:46.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post

Is it possible to buy the sticks separately? How much does that cost. I am assuming the needle to insert the sticks is part of the kit. They charge 100 Rs for a 5 min job and i am seriously considering DIY.
First you have to buy the kit so that all the necessary tools are available with you. The needle is part of the kit. You can buy the adhesive sticks separately later on. I have not had the need to buy more adhesive sticks yet, but i did enquire about buying them separately, and they were available. I cannot recall the price though.

Before considering a DIY, be thorough with the procedure first. Also like GTO rightly said, you may just save maybe around 30 to 40 bucks per puncture, so if in the city and well within the puncture shop, let the professionals do it. Learn to repair the tubeless tire puncture for places where there is no other way out.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 24th September 2008 at 10:49.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
You guys might want to read this old thread started by me. My experience with nail in the tyre and my effort to fix it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...bari-road.html

I did read your experience and felt that you did not use the prober first to make the larger hole and instead used the needle which is supposed to be used later. I may be wrong though.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:51   #21
BANNED

[quote=m8002?;989277][quote=hemanthisgreat;987794] Buy only 5 adhesive sticks as not many will be used. The repair kit comprises everything except the plier to remove the nail. Buy the plier elsewhere. All instructions are mentioned in the kit.
Quote:

I don't know if they sell it seperately but kit Sarv kit cost 350 for me and has 5 sticks and two tools and a knife.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I don't know if they sell it seperately but kit Sarv kit cost 350 for me and has 5 sticks and two tools and a knife.

Last time i checked they were selling them separately once you have the kit.

Where did you buy the kit?

Did you not ask him, what happens once the adhesive sticks were over.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

I did try with the prober Hemanth. In fact after the failure I even tried to hammer it in . Tried to stand on it. Tried every trick but all to no effect. It takes a lot of pressure and unless you know the trick you cannot do it - that's what I deduced. Possibly new MRF rubber is hard.
My philosophy is I should know these basic things for emergency situations. Whether I actually do it or not in the city is a different issue. Recently the fuse of my power window had blown out. It took the mechanic literally two seconds to fix it but I had to waste about an hour reaching him and coming back because I didn't know which one precisely the power window fuse is. Now I know

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 24th September 2008 at 11:05.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:15   #24
BHPian

Goodyear has got a good tubeless repair kit which I used for my Delhi to trivandrum trip. Its a very good to have tool kit in your car. You may also get a electric tyre inflater(works on 12v Cig lighter point of your car) for around 700Rs you are set to go. It will give a great confidence especially to travel from Bangalore to Cochin
Old 24th September 2008, 11:36   #25
BHPian

Just went upto the car and got the tubeless repair kit and clicked a pic.

Here is what i got in the repair kit. Except the plier, everything else was present in the kit itself.

1) A plier to remove the nail first.

2) A prober to make the hole a bit bigger and work it up and down to roughen it up. Note the tip of the prober, its quite sharp and for it to go inside the tire, it should be turned and it goes in easily.

3) The needle in which the adhesive is inserted just like a thread and hafway leaving equal lengths on both sides. The needle is to be inserted straight into the tire and only turned about maybe 90 degrees once the adhesive is sticking out about 10 mm from the tire, and then pulled out.

4) Later using the knife the protrusion is supposed to be trimmed to level of the tire and air filled.
Attached Thumbnails
Got a puncture, can I DIY?-dsc07774.jpg  

Old 24th September 2008, 11:38   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Last time i checked they were selling them separately once you have the kit.

Where did you buy the kit?

Did you not ask him, what happens once the adhesive sticks were over.
In Millivision as you said.
Naw , I didn't, I bought two therefore

Last edited by zaks : 24th September 2008 at 11:40.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Naw , I didn't, I bought two therefore
Very stupid of you.. You should have just bought the kit with 10 adhesive sticks. its available. and costs about 500 bucks. Also with tubeless tires you will not need that many adhesives,as you will face very few punctures.

Still it does not matter, go to him and return one kit and buy more adhesive sticks if needed. call him before you go, so that your going there is not wasted if he does not accept it.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 24th September 2008 at 11:44.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hmenat
I know the difference between the prober and the needle. lol. In my kit there is an additional small tube with some solution inside which you are supposed to use once you have made the hole slightly larger. No double meaning intended anywhere
Old 24th September 2008, 12:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Hmenat
I know the difference between the prober and the needle. lol.
The post was not intended nor implied that you did not know the difference.. Just for everybody's information i put up the pic.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:45   #30
BANNED

Yeah, will try. One more thing he also showed me a pump which operates off the charger socket in car and said it would fill in 5 mins. The brand was Spantec or something (korean make) and he quoted 2,500 for it. It was made of steel and looked quite rugged. What do you guys have for portable pump?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks