Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 10:16   #106
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend, I had two minute punctures on my tyre. The guy fixed it and still there was some air loss in one of the fixed ones. He again fixed besides that without removing the old one and it looks like it worked.
Looks very crude and easy way of fixing a puncture. But it really works.

One thing I have noticed is that you cannot trust the guys to find the punctures. You have to stand with them and examine the surface yourself with care all over.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:51   #107
BHPian

When to repair?

Just discovered this today morning

I have no idea since when that is sitting in the tyre.

The nearest decent tyre repair shop is 60 kms away, and i don't think i can go for at least a week.
Can i wait for so long and continue using the car with the nail remaining in the tyre?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!-img00334201005130948.jpg  

Old 13th May 2010, 11:01   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Just discovered this today morning

I have no idea since when that is sitting in the tyre.

The nearest decent tyre repair shop is 60 kms away, and i don't think i can go for at least a week.
Can i wait for so long and continue using the car with the nail remaining in the tyre?
If you have a tubeless repair kit, you can fix it yourself. If your running is not much, I guess you can continue like this by filling up air everyday, till you find time to go.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:06   #109
BHPian

Around 50 kms a day. Got an air inflator in the car so thats not a problem. No permanent damage to the tyre in case i delay it for a week right?
Old 13th May 2010, 11:10   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Around 50 kms a day. Got an air inflator in the car so thats not a problem. No permanent damage to the tyre in case i delay it for a week right?
I guess, there would be no damage, if the tyre is not losing too much air everyday. If its losing too much air rapidly, you are better off getting it fixed.

Do not try to pull the nail in the mean time. Right now its acting as a plug.

Sometimes these nails remain for months together before being discovered.

In any case, better buy a tubeless puncture repair kit and learn to use it, or else you can just go to the normal repair guy and give him the kit to fix it.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 13th May 2010 at 11:12.
hemanthisgreat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2010, 11:13   #111
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Slicvic, i too had a similar object, it was a 2 inch screw lodged in the rear tyre, drove around for 3 weeks before i actually got down to removing it & fixing the puncture myself. Kept filling air with my portable compressor.

It was very tightly lodged in & im not sure whether driving around & the delay made it all the more difficult to remove. Didnt notice any damage when removing it & dont find any wobble, etc when driving.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:13   #112
BHPian

Thanks, will let the nail rust in peace

My tyres are filled with nitrogen, so i hope there's not much leakage.
Old 13th May 2010, 17:13   #113
BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also had a big screw-nail on my rear-right tyre removed recently but felt I would have driven with it for few weeks before realizing something fishy with the tyre -- subsequent to the puncture fix, it has been without any other issue over the last one+ week.

So don't think you will face any problem.

- ShanG
------------------------------
1991 Geo Metro (Sold)
2009 Hyundai i20 Asta
Old 9th June 2010, 12:11   #114

Survey: For people who drive cars with tubeless tyres

Hi,

I am gathering some responses from people who drive / use / own a car with tubeless tyres.

This is for a new product called "OMNI Tubeless Tyre Repair Kit".

I will be really grateful if you could answer these few questions which will take less than a min.

Link: A New Product: For people who drive cars with tubeless tyres.

For more information on the product, check out the Facebook page here:
OMNI - Tubeless Tyre Repair Kit | Facebook

Cheers,
Sudeep
Old 10th June 2010, 13:24   #115
BHPian

What is the difference between the 'OMNI' and the brands already available in the market ? Apparently this is the same thing.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:35   #116
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

One of my tires was losing air for the last 2 weeks, so I went to a shop today for getting it repaired. The guy did a lot of things similiar to what is mentioned in the first 3 posts of this thread, but finally instead of trimming the strip, he just set fire to it. That part of my tire was ablaze for 15 to 30 seconds & then he rubbed a brush dipped in water over the fire which extinguished the fire? He said that's how they do it.

Is this normal?
Old 18th September 2010, 13:39   #117
Senior - BHPian

Nope, that's not normal or at least I've never heard of it. I would suggest you tell the chap to just cut it with a knife the next time around.
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:19   #118
BHPian

@iraghava: Thanks a lot for a very useful article.

I faced the same issue as @carboy wherein my rear left tire was losing pressure slowly. After discussing with fellow bhpian Sid and finding a nail in the tire, I took to MRF franchise who followed the same steps as mentioned in the initial postings.

Only step was he was finding it difficult to insert the strip into the tire and therefore inflated the tire pressure.

One query - After looking at how it was all done, i was thinking of buying a puncture kit. Are there any recommended brands for the tubeless puncture kits? Also do you recommend any brand for a compact air inflator.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:43   #119
BHPian

how do people with ultra lo profile tires come to know they have a puncture ?

i mean sidewall is already so thin and small i wonder if the tires can be visibly seen to be punctured ??
Old 9th October 2010, 06:15   #120
BHPian

@Mr Nobody: There are 3 ways I can think of
1. They should see if they feel a difference in road handling of the vehicle while driving like swerving to one direction
2. While taking the vehicle for periodical air checkup, whether all tires are losing pressure at the same rate. (This is how I came to know of puncture of my tubeless tire)
3. Periodic inspection of tire once a month (We can also remove gravel stones from tire during the inspection)

Most Viewed